Your favourite location

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Whiskers
Winged Avenger

Post by Whiskers »

Aldbury for me, too.

And important enough for Melvyn Bragg to visit during his bit on 'The Avengers' in 'ITV's 50 Greatest Shows'
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

hatpeg wrote:
cyberrich wrote:Aldbury. Thanks. I couldn't remember the name. I think it's near Hertfordshire. I've just remembered it was Inspector Morse that was also filmed here more recently. This is the sort of place I would love to live in. Without all the film crews and murders of course! Have to start saving the pennies I guess.

And Shillingbury Tales series was based there.
Was also used in 'Parting Shots' a film which starred Diana, Joanna & Gareth. Great cast - poor film.

I read an article recently that the villagers of Aldbury didn't want The Avengers being filmed there at the time.....
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

hatpeg wrote:Aldbury is always worth a visit, but I was disappointed the pond is now covered in reeds and vegetation.

Letchmore Heath ( Dead Man's Treasure etc) is worth a visit and good for a pub lunch - often used by the actors who work on Holby City.

I also like the Shenley Triangle, near Shenley Hall, seen in many episodes.

I have been near to Tykes Water Bridge, but it is down a private lane.

Anyone know who you need to contact to get permission to visit?
I would love to go there.
They do clear those weeds from time-to-time. Also, they are doing something to the Stocks Hotel which was used as Paul's House in 'Murdersville' - they seem to have been doing some re-building for a very long time....
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Outside locations are one of the things which make the show special from 1965 onwards. I love the Murdersville location but I guess the abandoned airbase in The Hour that Never Was is my all-time favourite. I like the locations in Town of No Return and Castle De'ath too. The latter reminds me of my favourite NA location: the monks' island in the very first episode.
TheOperative
White Dwarf

Post by TheOperative »

Aldbury is a lovely village, it's not far from London and well worth a visit as everything is exactly as it was in the 1960's (and the 1760's...). The pub sells good beer and is also a B&B. Friends of mine had their wedding reception at Stocks Hotel and we stayed there the night, it was Playboy's UK HQ in the 70's and what is now the bridal suite has a huge, avocado-green hot tub in the middle of a mirrored room. I'm sure I have a picture somewhere...
Anthony McKay
Little Wonder

Post by Anthony McKay »

Darren wrote:I love Beachy Head where All Done With Mirrors was filmed. I visited it a year ago and the weather was fantastic. I tried to re-enact the motorbike scene with my girlfriend but she wasn't having any of it;):).
I hate to throw a 'Spaniard in the Works' - but I don't think this was filmed at Beachy Head anymore - see http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/spotting/spot3.htm
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

TheOperative wrote:Aldbury is a lovely village, it's not far from London and well worth a visit as everything is exactly as it was in the 1960's (and the 1760's...). The pub sells good beer and is also a B&B. Friends of mine had their wedding reception at Stocks Hotel and we stayed there the night, it was Playboy's UK HQ in the 70's and what is now the bridal suite has a huge, avocado-green hot tub in the middle of a mirrored room. I'm sure I have a picture somewhere...

Was this wedding reception recently? If so, glad to see all the renovation is finally finished!
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Anthony McKay wrote:
Darren wrote:I love Beachy Head where All Done With Mirrors was filmed. I visited it a year ago and the weather was fantastic. I tried to re-enact the motorbike scene with my girlfriend but she wasn't having any of it;):).
I hate to throw a 'Spaniard in the Works' - but I don't think this was filmed at Beachy Head anymore - see http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/spotting/spot3.htm
Oh I'm certain it's Beachy Head but it's a long stretch of coast line and what with the cliff edge falling away constantly, pin-pointing the exact spots isn't very likely.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

The lighthouse shouldn't be too hard to identify, I would have thought?
Last watched: "Concerto"
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Yeah, the lighthouse isn't at Beachy Head but you'd never guess. It's Start Point in Dartmouth. The BH lighthouse is reached down off the beach and inaccessible once the tide comes in.