A TOUCH OF BRIMSTONE

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

A TOUCH OF BRIMSTONE

Post by Peter Motte »

Probably best known for Emma Peel's part in a fancy dress party: A TOUCH OF BRIMSTONE.
The episode had the sound of being based on historical facts, so I looked for information, and noticed some here.

Nice pictures of Emma, but unfortunately a bit of an improbable scenario.
Vilan John Cartney says that the Queen of Sin is for them, so they can do with her what they will (Fais ce que tu voudras (Do what thou wilt), a philosophy of life associated with François Rabelais' fictional abbey at Thélème and later used by Aleister Crowley),
And what do they do?
They pick here up and carry her around the table!
Of course, a gang rape would not have been befitting for The Avengers, but it would have been the logical outcome of such a scene.
Therefor I consider A TOUCH OF BRIMSTONE to be far from the best scenario of The Avengers, because it gets stuck in a dead end: they can't do what they should do, or it wouldn't have been The Avengers anymore.

------
Last watched: A TOUCH OF BRIMSTONE
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

I still found ATOB very rude for it's time - especially where Cartney has his boots on top of the girl and she is stroking them and he says she's insatiable...that was strong for 1965/6...however, I do like this episode - the dried pee scene and I like Diana in her outfit. Don't you think she looks drugged when they are carrying her around? And, we know she would never let the blokes have their wicked way... :shock:
There was a real 'Hellfire Club' which convened in some caves in High Wickham - I think it was. I have a postcard from there with a picture of the man who founded it wearing a turban....
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: A TOUCH OF BRIMSTONE

Post by mousemeat »

Peter Motte wrote:Probably best known for Emma Peel's part in a fancy dress party: A TOUCH OF BRIMSTONE.
The episode had the sound of being based on historical facts, so I looked for information, and noticed some here.

Nice pictures of Emma, but unfortunately a bit of an improbable scenario.
Vilan John Cartney says that the Queen of Sin is for them, so they can do with her what they will (Fais ce que tu voudras (Do what thou wilt), a philosophy of life associated with François Rabelais' fictional abbey at Thélème and later used by Aleister Crowley),
And what do they do?
They pick here up and carry her around the table!
Of course, a gang rape would not have been befitting for The Avengers, but it would have been the logical outcome of such a scene.
Therefor I consider A TOUCH OF BRIMSTONE to be far from the best scenario of The Avengers, because it gets stuck in a dead end: they can't do what they should do, or it wouldn't have been The Avengers anymore.

------
Last watched: A TOUCH OF BRIMSTONE

it's still amazing how this episode ,still gets reactions.

no middle ground...either fans love it, or loathe it....sheesh.

myself, I liked it...black humour orgy of sorts..and those 'jokes'..whoa!
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

DiVicenzo wrote:I still found ATOB very rude for it's time - especially where Cartney has his boots on top of the girl and she is stroking them and he says she's insatiable...that was strong for 1965/6...however, I do like this episode - the dried pee scene and I like Diana in her outfit.
Certainly, that's all true.
DiVicenzo wrote: Don't you think she looks drugged when they are carrying her around?
Well, I got that impression too. She doesn't look through clear eyes.
DiVicenzo wrote:And, we know she would never let the blokes have their wicked way... :shock:
A gangrape of Emma would have been a mission highly improbable.
The only objection I have is that the plot couldn't have been carried out to its full consequences.
DiVicenzo wrote:There was a real 'Hellfire Club' which convened in some caves in High Wickham - I think it was.
There have been real Hellfire Clubs. All of them came about during the 18th century.
I think it was part of the dissatisfaction of those days with the ancien régime.
Anyway: no new Hellfire Clubs were founded later than 1789 (French Revolution).
I also think their reputation is partly based on rumours spread by their enemies.

PS: sorry about the big avatar, sooner or later I'll come up with a solution for that

------
Last watched: Quick-Quick Slow Death
Last edited by Peter Motte on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

So, done: I have found the avatar back I used on the previous Avengers forum.

That's odd: it's the same image as the previous one, but it's size is much smaller.

------
Last watched: Quick-Quick Slow Death
Prrr......
-----------
Col Mustard
Nutshell

A Touch of Brimstone

Post by Col Mustard »

I do like this episode - the dried pee scene
Alright, this made me laugh..I think that would have been a whole another
censorship problem. Perhaps, another fetish further?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Well, that outfit looked very tricky to get off when a girl's in a hurry, so... :oops:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

I liked the episode - maybe because they refused to show it in the US, and I just saw it last year.

However, it struck me that scenes of drunken debauchery were way over-done by actors who didn't really understand the concept.
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

VA_Avenger wrote:However, it struck me that scenes of drunken debauchery were way over-done by actors who didn't really understand the concept.
You mean, they don't know what it is to be drunk? :?
Prrr......
-----------
helenofirvine
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by helenofirvine »

Well, that outfit really squeezed her waistline. I would think it had to be a bit painful to wear, being all laced up. Her ability to move, jump, etc would have been rather limited, which explains why she did not do those movements. You would not see her bend to her knees or curl up or roll as in other fight scenes. It was simply highly improbable! ;)

Looking good or being able to fight? What's a girl to do?