Gareth Hunt comedy DVD released

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Gareth Hunt comedy DVD released

Post by Frankymole »

One for Gareth fans! 6 episodes and he stars in all of them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Beryl-Mars ... 250&sr=8-1
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

As though I need more things to spend my money on. :wink: Thanks for pointing that out, Franky. Maybe once I've cycled through my backlog of DVDs I'll give this one a go (I like the cover picture, though :D ).
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

Never heard of it, but it looks good :D
The review's positive as well.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

It's all a matter of personal taste of course, but I would warn anyone before splashing their cash that this is a truly, truly dreadful sitcom! Quite why Julia and Gareth agreed to do it is puzzling. Sorry.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Johnny O wrote:It's all a matter of personal taste of course, but I would warn anyone before splashing their cash that this is a truly, truly dreadful sitcom! Quite why Julia and Gareth agreed to do it is puzzling. Sorry.
Quite innovative actually - the Mausoleum Club thread tells more:
http://www.mausoleumclubforum.org.uk/xm ... 417&page=1

Don't be sorry - we all have different tastes in comedy! But it's objective fact that this did different stuff from the usual sexist rubbish of the time.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Frankymole wrote:
Johnny O wrote:It's all a matter of personal taste of course, but I would warn anyone before splashing their cash that this is a truly, truly dreadful sitcom! Quite why Julia and Gareth agreed to do it is puzzling. Sorry.

Don't be sorry - we all have different tastes in comedy! But it's objective fact that this did different stuff from the usual sexist rubbish of the time.
Thanks for linking that thread, Franky! You've got my interest! :D It's so difficult to see anything with Gareth, or any of the Avengers actors, really, over here--if it's not a Bond movie , or rerun of AbFab you're out of luck (except Linda, because she came back to Canada and did Emily of New Moon, playing Emily's scary cousin Isabelle--with a Scots' accent, nonetheless!). So I've been managing with clips on PURRR. The only thing I've caught Gareth in properly in Upstairs, Downstairs, which I really enjoyed whenever he was around (and promptly lost interest in when his character left the series for the States. He was very Gambit at the end, though!). So I think I may give this a shot when I've got enough to warrant another order from Britain. Comedy's a very subjective thing, and I've long ago discovered that I have to see these things for myself--despite all the hoopla, I was decidedly underwhelmed by Fawlty Towers, but I loved Jeeves and Wooster. So we'll see. I remember Julia McKenzie from Cranford, though, and she was quite good in it.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Frankymole wrote:

Thanks for linking that thread, Franky! You've got my interest! :D It's so difficult to see anything with Gareth, or any of the Avengers actors, really, over here--if it's not a Bond movie , or rerun of AbFab you're out of luck (except Linda, because she came back to Canada and did Emily of New Moon, playing Emily's scary cousin Isabelle--with a Scots' accent, nonetheless!). So I've been managing with clips on PURRR. The only thing I've caught Gareth in properly in Upstairs, Downstairs, which I really enjoyed whenever he was around (and promptly lost interest in when his character left the series for the States. He was very Gambit at the end, though!). So I think I may give this a shot when I've got enough to warrant another order from Britain. Comedy's a very subjective thing, and I've long ago discovered that I have to see these things for myself--despite all the hoopla, I was decidedly underwhelmed by Fawlty Towers, but I loved Jeeves and Wooster. So we'll see. I remember Julia McKenzie from Cranford, though, and she was quite good in it.
Julia Mackenzie has quite a body of work and took the lead in a number of sitcoms made by UKITV in the 70's and 80's. But she's also had major success in musical theatre and in serious drama. Cranford was the most recent thing I saw her in, but I also loved her in the movie version of Shirley Valentine and in the BBC Drama Hotel Du Lac. For me, she stole the show in that one.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Julia McKenzie has recently been announced as the new Miss Marple - taking over from Geraldine McEwen.

She has a huge body of work behind her and (in my opinion) sings the definitive version of Stephen Sondheim's Losing My Mind from Follies.

However, for me, she will always be Hester from Fresh Fields (and it's sequel French Fields) with Anton Rogers.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I saw Julia McKenzie in a production of Sweeney Todd at the National with Dennis Quilley. She has a great singing voice.

I'll be interested seeing her as (Miss) Marple even though I think the adaptations are dire.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Gareth Hunt comedy DVD released

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:One for Gareth fans! 6 episodes and he stars in all of them:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/That-Beryl-Mars ... 250&sr=8-1
what a treat..this is very cool...