Diana In The July Telegraph

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Uncle Jack
Nutshell

Diana In The July Telegraph

Post by Uncle Jack »

Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

Oh yeah I read that article on the Diana Rigg forum, it's really nice :)
Uncle Jack
Nutshell

Post by Uncle Jack »

She's still turning heads after all these years....
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

That was a great article! Thanks for the link. :)
Allen
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

Uncle Jack wrote:She's still turning heads after all these years....
She most definitely is :D
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Great article !
Diana is still full of energy !!! :)
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Uncle Jack
Nutshell

Post by Uncle Jack »

JohnSteedFr wrote:Diana is still full of energy !!! :)
Yes indeed, and still thwacking ruffians with her umbrella when the occasion demands!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

This is an interesting (Avengers) bit...

I tell her I found clips of her on YouTube from her various appearances on Parkinson - on one of which she said that her greatest pleasure in life came from biting her baby's bottom - to scenes from The Avengers, the television series as synonymous with the 1960s as are the Mini and the Beatles. I had forgotten how psychedelic those shows were, how surreal the humour - she would end a fight scene by picking up her knitting.

'Oh yes, my daughter sends me YouTube clips. Not of me. Funny stuff. It all sounds like rubbish the stuff they have of me. It's a horrible thought that they are on there. I'm also a mouse pad and a screen-saver. Am I supposed to be flattered? All these old images of me floating across the screen, the terrible chasm of what you were and what you are. I know who I am, but these people who see me as I was then don't. There is always one thing that turns you into an icon, an iconic image, in my case a catsuit. But the icon 40 years later doesn't really want to know because it's not relevant to me. Some of those early photographs of me might as well be sepia. It's always thought that I disclaim television and am too theatre, but the truth is The Avengers bores me now. I was grateful because it catapulted me into stage stardom. It was good. I'm not ashamed of it. But I only did it for two years.'

The leather catsuit was 'a total nightmare'; it took 45 minutes to get it unzipped. Like struggling in and out of a wetsuit. Once she got into the jersey catsuits, they were easy to wear but she had to watch for baggy knees. Nothing worse.

"The truth is The Avengers bores me now" ? Ouch. I should get a life...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
the butler
White Dwarf

Post by the butler »

It's Diana reminding the world-yet again--that she's not Mrs. Peel...but an equally fascinating person.

Thanks for the New Forum. It's good to be back with some old fan chums.
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

In a way I can totally understand Diana. To be constantly reminded, and solely praised for something that went on over 40 years ago must be frustrating. I mean, she's achieved so much since then, and it seems like she doesn't get enough credit for that from the general public. Ofcourse the die-hard fans fully appreciate all the other things she's done :)

But on the other hand, I think she rejects The Avengers a bit too much. When you compare her to Honor, Joanna or Linda, they are happy to talk about The Avengers amongst other things.