Simon Oates (1932-2009)

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Thank you, Alan.

"The Terrornaughts" sounds fascinating ("Dalek-influenced")! I don't know whether any episodes survive of 1965 and 1966 Mask of Janus/Spies series, but it would be wonderful if it did.

I shall be seeing new things with Simon Oates in, I am sure, I have lots of archive telly to watch - and whenever I see him I'll remember what a lovely fella he showed himself to be.
Last watched: "The Charmers"
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Hadn't seen your comment earlier, Franky. I'm sure that Simon would've been touched by it.

Another obituary - this time from The Independent, and including some quotes from The Avengers Declassified interview:

The Independent Obituary: Simon Oates
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Alan wrote:I know what you mean, and wanted to be sure that Simon was happy for it to be included in the interview. I did feel it was potentially 'trouble', but he was very happy with the finished interview when he read it (I sent him a printed version last December). In fact, he thought it was 'fornicating marvellous!' - his exact words... :D

I miss him.
no doubt...interesting fellow...fast fading from the acting landscape.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

What a sad news !

He was one of the best villains (I liked his ironical smile in YOU'VE JUST BEEN MURDERED) and Mr Steed in 1972.

R.I.P.
I've been blessed by The Avengers!