DVD boxset options - French, Dutch, US or UK?

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

yucafrita
White Dwarf

Post by yucafrita »

So it doesn't really matter if I'd buy the french or dutch box. Both have cuts but at different places (?). And for series 4 I should go for the german box? But then, I could even buy everything from the german box except Cathy Gale. Oh well.

I think I will wait a while and see if there is a british edition, complete and restored.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

yucafrita wrote:I think I will wait a while and see if there is a british edition, complete and restored.
They'll be back. You can depend on it.

To coin a phrase.... :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Norbert
Nutshell

Post by Norbert »

yucafrita wrote:So it doesn't really matter if I'd buy the french or dutch box. Both have cuts but at different places (?). And for series 4 I should go for the german box? But then, I could even buy everything from the german box except Cathy Gale. Oh well.

I think I will wait a while and see if there is a british edition, complete and restored.
The cuts in series 4 are all the same in the French, Dutch and German edition. The most complete set of series 4 is the British one - unfortunately, it is very hard to find at reasonable prices. Sometimes, you can pick up a set on marketplace of amazon.de for a good price. But be aware of the fact that series 4, 5 and 6 were never released as season sets in Britain. You always have to buy four sets in order to get a full season. (And THE THIRTEENTH HOLE is cut on the Contender set, as well.)
Rose: Dorothy, you are - what we call in news business - a hot story.
Dorothy: And you are - what we call in revenge business - next.
(The Golden Girls)
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Steed3003 wrote:
In ARTE, all colour episodes were restored except a few, some had french sections integrated that were missing in the german version. In fact, the german TV always thought they were smarter than the inventor so they cut episodes of every TV series just as they like.

ARTE used the HD masters which are going to be soon available in a Blu Ray edition of the TV show.
Oh dear! Does that mean the BluRay release is going to be missing some scenes?
Last watched: "Concerto"
RMC
White Dwarf

Cut Status of US A&E sets

Post by RMC »

Are any of the US A&E DVD sets missing anything?
the_demolished_man
Nutshell

Running around the DVDs

Post by the_demolished_man »

Hiya

I too have been trawling around trying to decide which DVDs to buy.

I've tried the US A&E sets for some colour Emma and some Tara, but I couldn't bear the quality of the R1/NTSC picture - jumping all over the place in panning, and so on.

I then tried the Complete Dossier sets for some B&W Emma and some Tara. I was very happy with these, but they cost an arm and a leg and were very hard to find. There was no way I could afford a collection.

So I recently bought some Cathy in the Dutch "Die Wrekers" sets - and was very surprised at how good they were and for a reasonable price too, on ebay. English titles and captions with removable subtitles.

Impressed, I bought the full season 4 on Dutch, as this is my favourite season. Imagine my surprise when I found the french titles and captions! However, I persevered and ignored that, and comparing "What the Butler Saw" in the Dossier and the Dutch, I couldn't tell any difference in quality (although the Dutch was a bit quieter in places). So I'm now selling my Dossiers and planning to get season 5 on Dutch.

To be perfectly honest I quite like the french titles and captions on the dutch recordings - I like the typeface, the descriptions on the box are already in Dutch and it all adds to the bizarre nature of the stories. And I know what the episodes are called, after all...

TDM
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

I've got the entiere French Collection on dvd, as well as the American one.

My favourite is irrevocably the American one which shows superb episodes with a real digital remastering. Many episodes are cut in France and the Sixth season is absolutely awful around here (we can't hear anything, the picture isn't in high quality...) whereas they're complete on the American dvds.

American or British dvds ?
The same, they're English after all.
Plus, I prefered buying the A&E collection 'cause the box sets were much more beautiful and cheaper than the British one.
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

JohnSteedFr wrote:My favourite is irrevocably the American one which shows superb episodes with a real digital remastering.
The episodes have never been digitally remastered properly until now. The American DVDs used the same masters made in the UK for VHS. The new DVDs coming out in Britain should mark the debut of episodes as true digital remasters.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Jiggly
Nutshell

Post by Jiggly »

I've meant to pose this question for a while, but can anyone tell me what to expect from the currently available French Season Six boxset?

The announcement of the UK season 2 release bodes well for the appearance of subsequent sets, but I fear I'm too impatient for these! I thought that the Season 4 release (bar the odd cut/ mis-aligned sound sync etc) was fairly good value, but I've read some fairly negative opinions of the picture/sound quality of the Thorson eps. If anyone has the time, could they give a thumbnail sketch of the relative quality of the eps (standouts/lowpoints etc)?

Many thanks in advance :)
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

All I'll say is you'll end up kicking yourself for your impatience... :D
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger