Avengers - What's in a name?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Captain Crusoe wrote: "Tara King" is a very Irish name and she had an Irish uncle, so presumably she was at least half-Irish. That somehow seemed to undercut the "for King and country" bit for me. I spent a large part of Wish You Were Here wondering about Tara's sense of national identity. How committed to the British state did she feel, given the history of those two nations?
She's an Ulster gal through and through - she *did* wear a lot of orange...
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Captain Crusoe wrote: "Tara King" is a very Irish name and she had an Irish uncle, so presumably she was at least half-Irish. That somehow seemed to undercut the "for King and country" bit for me. I spent a large part of Wish You Were Here wondering about Tara's sense of national identity. How committed to the British state did she feel, given the history of those two nations?
Perhaps she had one of these in her family:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... poster.jpg
Last watched: "Concerto"
Captain Crusoe
Nutshell

Post by Captain Crusoe »

dissolute wrote:
Her uncle's accent is southern Irish, not at all like the Ulster Protestant accent. She's no Ulster gal. Anyway, she wore green when she went to visit her uncle.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Captain Crusoe wrote:
dissolute wrote:
Her uncle's accent is southern Irish, not at all like the Ulster Protestant accent. She's no Ulster gal. Anyway, she wore green when she went to visit her uncle.
Don't you think it's a little bit far fetched ? :lol:
It's breaking to see your researches ! :o
Last edited by JohnSteedFr on Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Captain Crusoe wrote: Her uncle's accent is southern Irish, not at all like the Ulster Protestant accent. She's no Ulster gal. Anyway, she wore green when she went to visit her uncle.
Is her uncle by marriage, ie married to her parent's sister?
Captain Crusoe
Nutshell

Post by Captain Crusoe »

Frankymole wrote:Is her uncle by marriage, ie married to her parent's sister?
There's nothing suggesting that, but I suppose he could be. I take the combination of her Irish name and her uncle being Irish as them indicating to us that she's Irish on her mother's side. It just fits so perfectly. I wasn't serious about her loyalties being conflicted, I was making an ironic comment about the politics. A lot of Irish people weren't Irish nationalists harbouring resentments, especially ones living in England like members of her family.
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Captain Crusoe wrote:
There's nothing suggesting that, but I suppose he could be. I take the combination of her Irish name and her uncle being Irish as them indicating to us that she's Irish on her mother's side. It just fits so perfectly.
She hasn't really got an Irish name if her mum was a "Gone With the Wind" fan... more southern States... :)
Captain Crusoe
Nutshell

Post by Captain Crusoe »

As I said, it's the combination. The Irish uncle is a very big clue. You're saying that it's pure coincidence her uncle is Irish and she's got the name 'Tara', even 'Tara King', a name with a very strong Irish resonance because of the Kings of Tara, a name that could particularly appeal to an Irishwoman married to a Mr King.

My theory: Linda Thorson thought of the name for the reasons she gave, maybe or maybe not subsconsciously influenced by the phrase 'the Kings of Tara'. Tony Williamson saw the name 'Tara King' and thought of Ireland and Irishness, so he made her uncle Irish. If Tara's meant to be so non-Irish as you claim, why didn't they make her uncle English? Why suggest that she's got Irish ancestry?
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Frankymole wrote:
Captain Crusoe wrote:
There's nothing suggesting that, but I suppose he could be. I take the combination of her Irish name and her uncle being Irish as them indicating to us that she's Irish on her mother's side. It just fits so perfectly.
She hasn't really got an Irish name if her mum was a "Gone With the Wind" fan... more southern States... :)
Perhaps that some of her relatives are American, a sort of mix. :?
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Captain Crusoe wrote:As I said, it's the combination. The Irish uncle is a very big clue. You're saying that it's pure coincidence her uncle is Irish and she's got the name 'Tara', even 'Tara King', a name with a very strong Irish resonance because of the Kings of Tara, a name that could particularly appeal to an Irishwoman married to a Mr King.

My theory: Linda Thorson thought of the name for the reasons she gave, maybe or maybe not subsconsciously influenced by the phrase 'the Kings of Tara'.
Every region in Britain had Kings in the Dark Ages though... I doubt if Linda had ever heard the term "The Kings of Tara" to be influenced subconsciously or no... an uncle isn't an ancestor either :)

Maybe Dr Martin King is Irish though? ;)