The Avengers on Blu-ray in France

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

waybec, agree totally - if all versions remain available, "da kids" might even eventually try it in glorious monochrome. I certainly loved Laurel & Hardy and Harold Lloyd when shown on colour TV in the 1980s, and I usually avoided old films like the plague!
Last watched: "Concerto"
waybec
White Dwarf

Post by waybec »

Nice that we reached a consenus. I love Laurel and Hardy too and I became a fan watching them in black and white! By the sounds of it, you're also a Prisioner fan like me too. You see, intelligence and taste means we can be amiable, polite and respect each other's views. But then then again we're Avengers fans who see the world slightly different to the rest. I.e. with also a great civility and a self mocking sense of humour I think. But don't worry. I would've still respected your view even if you disagreed entirely with me. Freedom of speech is also something a lot of Avenger or Prisoner fans uphold. And a good debate also offers to the opportunity to make good distant friends who we sense have their hearts in the right place. So thanks for your good measured and thoughtful reply. It was made with manners and intelligence... And those are the views any rational person would respect. Hope to humourousy and politely argue again with you one day. Ha... P.s. Ooh and yes, how could I forget the Howard Blake scores as well! Let's hope then, that who's ever in charge of the eventual Blu-ray editions are evesdropping and listening.. Cheers mate.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I think remastering and restoring The Avengers would be great, but let them never ever go beyond what the material was at the very best when it was made originally.

So no colourisation, no dolby surround anything, no conversion to another aspect ratio. Just clean it up and chuck many extras in and you have the perfect Avengers DVD release (with retro cover artwork based on the original press kits).
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I think Allard shoud be plut in charge of the project. The cover artwork based on the press packs and any promotional/media stuff from the appropriate year is a great idea.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

All those in favor of putting Allard in charge say Aye! :wink:
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

AYE
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

waybec wrote:Hope to humourousy and politely argue again with you one day. Ha...
I'm sure we will, I'm very opinionated :D:D:D

Yes, have loved The Prisoner since I was 15, and was intrigued to see it ten years before that (but it wasn't repeated or out on video). I must have about 6 different version now from the early poor videos to the latest Network DVDs. It will be interesting to see what the remake is like.
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

IMHO the way it was shot, the storylines, editing and of course performances will keep that 60's vibe intact. Just cleaning up the image so you feel like you're one of the avengers as opposed to watching them on an old telly, would be the main point of blu Ray for me... You can always stick to the old DVD versions. When they release them on bd in the states I hope they include nice extras( i.e. commentaries, film vignettes etc.) maybe even release them as a complete all inclusive megaset. I'd throw down $200-$300 for it.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:I think remastering and restoring The Avengers would be great, but let them never ever go beyond what the material was at the very best when it was made originally.

So no colourisation, no dolby surround anything, no conversion to another aspect ratio. Just clean it up and chuck many extras in and you have the perfect Avengers DVD release (with retro cover artwork based on the original press kits).
I was thinking for a micro second.about 'colour'..but naw...

I pretty much concur with the above opinion...

do a slight tweak...but focus on any and all extras...music, etc
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Avengerholic wrote:To be honest the one and only time I was totally, totally astonished by Blu Ray was with the Torchwood release - those are absolutely stunning. But those I assume were shot in HD, with everything else I could take it or leave it.
The Avengers was shot on 35mm film, like a movie, and so should look just as sharp if not sharper than Torchwood once its mastered properly in HD. In fact, if a further even-higher definition format of TV comes along in a few decades' time, Torchwood will be lefy behind because it was amde on video to a certain number of lines, but film isn't restricted to lines.

Not to mention that The Avengers has proved a timeless evergreen classic, whereas Torchwood is very likely to appear dated... ;)