Dr. David Keel

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Johnny O wrote:I find it odd that Freddie Jaeger also appeared in TNA, but not the Cybernaut episode! That was another bizarre piece of miscasting. He should have played the Robert Gillespie role of Armstrong's former assistant.

I would swear that when House of Cards first aired in the UK, a reference to Tara was made in the dialogue when Purdey meets Annette Andre (sorry can't remember the character's name) at her hideaway cottage. But it isn't in the DVD versions. Did I imagine it?
Also remember that Frederick Jaeger was meant to have a larger role in Target, but it rained for a week and none of his scenes could be filmed. By the time the rain stopped, they only had about a day or so og Jaeger's time before he had to move on to work on something else, so they gave him the tiny role of "Jones" instead. So from the sounds of things that week was all they could squeeze out of him, and Cybernauts was shot earlier, so clearly it was another timing issue. Otherwise I'm sure they'd have been happy to have "Benson" back for continuity purposes.

Regarding the Tara mention, you may be thinking of the TNA novelisation of House of Cards. It differs from the TV episode in several places, including the visit to the cottage (both Purdey and Gambit go). When Suzy Miller (Annette Andre's character) tells them her husband seemed to recognise Steed's date, they ask her if it was Tara, but Suzy tells them she met Tara on more than one occasion, and knows it couldn't have been her. If you've read the novel you could be confusing it for the screen version.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Johnny O wrote:
I would swear that when House of Cards first aired in the UK, a reference to Tara was made in the dialogue when Purdey meets Annette Andre (sorry can't remember the character's name) at her hideaway cottage. But it isn't in the DVD versions. Did I imagine it?
I think had it been in a transmitted episode that hadn't made it to DVD we'd have known about it by now. I've not read the tie-in novel, but I'll go with Timeless' explanation. :)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
cybermanz
Thingumajig

Post by cybermanz »

Alan wrote: No Keel episode had aired at that point outside the UK. (I say that in case any of the surviving material has now - I don't know. Enlighten me!)
The Frighteners screened on New Zealand television twice during the late 1990's.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

JohnSteedFr wrote:
Johnny O wrote: I would swear that when House of Cards first aired in the UK, a reference to Tara was made in the dialogue when Purdey meets Annette Andre (sorry can't remember the character's name) at her hideaway cottage. But it isn't in the DVD versions. Did I imagine it?
Perhaps you don't remember exactly what happens in the story.
Well in the same episode, we notice pictures of Steed's former partners, in his house and a woman asks him who they are and he begins talking about each one...but he thinks she's looking at other pics revealing horses. :lol:
Yes, I remember that scene very well. But when Purdey meets Mrs Miller at the cottage and she tells Purdey how she once saw a woman with Steed that made her husband nervous, Purdey asks "Was it Tara King?" And Mrs M replies, "No, I've met Miss King many times, it was someone else." (or something very close to that) And that's how Purdey realises that Steed's 'date' (Angela is it?) is also a double agent. I know I didn't imagine this scene and I'm sure it was in the original 1976 broadcast, but it wasn't in the DVD and indeed it wasn't on the repeats when I first saw them circa 1980. I do know this scene is in the novelisation, but I don't think I'm confusing the two.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Johnny O wrote:
JohnSteedFr wrote:
Johnny O wrote: I would swear that when House of Cards first aired in the UK, a reference to Tara was made in the dialogue when Purdey meets Annette Andre (sorry can't remember the character's name) at her hideaway cottage. But it isn't in the DVD versions. Did I imagine it?
Perhaps you don't remember exactly what happens in the story.
Well in the same episode, we notice pictures of Steed's former partners, in his house and a woman asks him who they are and he begins talking about each one...but he thinks she's looking at other pics revealing horses. :lol:
Yes, I remember that scene very well. But when Purdey meets Mrs Miller at the cottage and she tells Purdey how she once saw a woman with Steed that made her husband nervous, Purdey asks "Was it Tara King?" And Mrs M replies, "No, I've met Miss King many times, it was someone else." (or something very close to that) And that's how Purdey realises that Steed's 'date' (Angela is it?) is also a double agent. I know I didn't imagine this scene and I'm sure it was in the original 1976 broadcast, but it wasn't in the DVD and indeed it wasn't on the repeats when I first saw them circa 1980. I do know this scene is in the novelisation, but I don't think I'm confusing the two.
I'd be very interested to see an alternate version if there was one, and it's not completely impossible--often the novels were working off old versions of the scripts. But the novel is the only place I've seen the scene. (Steed's date is "Joanna" by the way. Always wondered where Brian Clemens got the name. :wink: )
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

Charlie Parker wrote:Apparently Hendry had a reported drink problem, Brian Clemens made a comment to him that he'd cast in Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter if he laid off the booze.
Yeah, if you watch his segment on "Patrick MacNee This is Your Life"
up on Youtube, he looks and sounds obliterated. I'm jealous.
The Gaslight Ghoul
Winged Avenger

Post by The Gaslight Ghoul »

I think that Ian Hendry was very close to death at that point.
You check the files, I'll check my memories.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

He died that year, yes. Within a couple of months of Pat's This Is Your Life being filmed. Very sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQCYK-of1lk
THE AVENGERS GALLERY