Documentary Evidence - There Were 6 Series of The Avengers!

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:So the filmed season was a considered remake of the videtaped era?
So there are only 3 seasons!

Of course, that's the case in the US and for US sales in the 60s there were 4...
It actually annoyed me to recently discover that The New Avengers were promoting one of their episodes as the 100th edition, when that was in fact (*checks TAF*) What The Butler Saw.
What did TNA count as the 99 previous episodes then - and what as the first? Did they count only the filmed episodes, excluding the taped ones?
Last watched: "Concerto"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Frankymole wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Frankymole wrote:So there are only 3 seasons!

Of course, that's the case in the US and for US sales in the 60s there were 4...
It actually annoyed me to recently discover that The New Avengers were promoting one of their episodes as the 100th edition, when that was in fact (*checks TAF*) What The Butler Saw.
What did TNA count as the 99 previous episodes then - and what as the first? Did they count only the filmed episodes, excluding the taped ones?
TNA wasn't counting anything--the French were the ones that were celebrating 100 episodes of the Avengers in France. Doesn't matter what number one was: if you add together 26 black and white Emmas + 25 colour Emmas + 33 Taras + 13 season one TNAs, you end up with 97, and #100 falls early in TNA season 2. It was arbitrary math because they never saw Cathy/Keel. Easy math.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

It's silly to discount any season. The Tara Season was the 3rd of a pattern with a female co-star on a serious long term basis. Filmed or not, whomever "amended" the call list has some 'Splainin' to do!
Seriously though,third shmird! Still, love 'em all...
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I can confirm that the only amending on that Call Sheet is the red highlight. I'm certainly not the sort to present faked information. Except on April Fool's Day... :D
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Of course, what the crew call something before production can be different to what it is called in sales... ;)
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Re: Documentary Evidence - There Were 6 Series of The Avenge

Post by Johnny O »

Alan wrote:Image

Clearly ABC referred to both the videotaped and filmed series as Series 1, 2 and 3 (which makes sense, as they were made by different production teams). This of course means that they did not refer to what is commonly referred to as Series 5B as a separate season.

Discuss! :)
I may be missing something here, but to my eyes, this doesn't prove anything at all! Sorry! It's pure speculation to say "clearly ABC referred to both the videotaped and filmed series as series 1, 2 and 3". For me, there's nothing clear at all. And to be pedantic, the "videotaped" series ended with Honor Blackman! I think you might mean the monochrome and colour filmed series perhaps?

Either way, what's to say that the Emma and Tara colour episodes aren't counted as 3 series? If so, that definitively means there were 7 series not 6 (counting 5a & 5b blah blah blah).

Hate to be the spoiler, but this proves nothing to me at all.

Discuss! ;-)
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Of course the videotaped series ended with Honor Blackman, and there were three of them (1961 / 1962-3 / 1963-4). The filmed series started with the B/W Emma Peels and there were three series of those too, Johnny. I don't quite get your point.

I think it's plain from this evidence that the team reset the count for the first film series (it being produced by ABC Films rather than ABC TV), with the colour Peels being counted as Series 2, and the Kings as Series 3.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

I'm definitely going to call the Tara series "series 3" from now on!! Or should that be "series III"?
Frankymole

Post by Frankymole »

Alan wrote:Of course the videotaped series ended with Honor Blackman, and there were three of them (1961 / 1962-3 / 1963-4). The filmed series started with the B/W Emma Peels and there were three series of those too, Johnny. I don't quite get your point.

I think it's plain from this evidence that the team reset the count for the first film series (it being produced by ABC Films rather than ABC TV), with the colour Peels being counted as Series 2, and the Kings as Series 3.
I think Johnny means that all we can say for certain is that Tara's series is "series III" - there's nothing to indicate whether the Honor episodes were "series I" and ALL the Emma Peels were "Series II", for instance - anything before Tara is just speculation. Unless you have some documentation for the final Honors or early Emmas?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I suggest we stick to what we know ... 8)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY