The Undertakers

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

It was pretty much unchanged from what I could see of it in the TV episode; which I first saw many years after visiting the garden!
Last watched: "The Charmers"
KennyG
Nutshell

Post by KennyG »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:If "Bizarre" is a pun I'm impressed. Was this the 'big girls' line in the tag from Patrick?
Yep.
Miska_cz
Little Wonder

Post by Miska_cz »

Big girls line?
Miska_Cz :o)
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

Miska_cz wrote:Big girls line?
Patrick MacNee tries to supress a giggling fit in the tag scene, cuasing him to fluff a line. It's in reference to the statues in the finale fight scene
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Darren wrote: Macnee looks a tad drunk in the closing scene - it's very bizarre.

Not a favourite but I wouldn't put it at the bottom of the season as it is boring.
Yes, Pat does appear slightly innebriated in the tag scene. The champagne must have been flowing inbetween takes on that day! Quite amusing to watch, and it all adds up to the live theatre atmosphere which gives seasons 2 and 3 a unique charm the filmed series didn't have. Rich.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I like the idea of "takes"! It was pretty much recorded in one non-stop swoop, due to the near-impossibility of affording tapes that could be edited... (there were film inserts of course).

If Macnee was tipsy for one scene he was tipsy for all of it - I suspect it was relief at having got through a complicated recording session that incurred mild hysteria! :D
Last watched: "The Charmers"
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Frankymole wrote:I like the idea of "takes"! It was pretty much recorded in one non-stop swoop, due to the near-impossibility of affording tapes that could be edited... (there were film inserts of course).

If Macnee was tipsy for one scene he was tipsy for all of it - I suspect it was relief at having got through a complicated recording session that incurred mild hysteria! :D
how true....actors are just like ball players...etc..

good days ( or games ) and bad days ( ditto )

The live era of the show, does have it's moments...
KennyG
Nutshell

Post by KennyG »

Frankymole wrote:I suspect it was relief at having got through a complicated recording session that incurred mild hysteria! :D
I reckon he just had the giggles over a crazy thought about people analysing his performance in that episode over 45 years later.
Avengerholic
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Avengerholic »

This one of my favourite Gale episodes, only the dragged out external gun fight sequence at the end lets it down. I visited the location a few years ago, it hasn't changed at all :)