The Music of the Avengers, from Dankworth to Johnson

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

Who composed the better Avengers music?

Johnny Dankworth
7%
Laurie Johnson
74%
Both are equally good
19%

Total votes: 72

DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

The Gaslight Ghoul wrote:Oh wow, this sounds brilliant, do you know if the CD is still available Darren as I don't seem to be able to open the links.
I hope it is as I have just paid for it :D
Thanks Darren for the pointer :)
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Re: The Music of the Avengers, from Dankworth to Johnson

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Uncle Jack wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote: That was without doubt the best post on this forum so far. I entirely agree. I would just sub Thunderball with OHMSS...
Why thank you. I blush at such praise. :oops: The OHMSS theme doesn't come to mind immediately; I'll have to give it another whirl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLPGPMMcVpc

Can I also recommend the OST - the whole album is just wonderful.

Here's an interesting club remix by The Propellerheads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3aI5AxebQo
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

DiVicenzo wrote:
The Gaslight Ghoul wrote:Oh wow, this sounds brilliant, do you know if the CD is still available Darren as I don't seem to be able to open the links.
I hope it is as I have just paid for it :D
Thanks Darren for the pointer :)
Just to let you know about the CD which is still available - this is what Richard from Movie Boulevard sent me:

"Hi Barry

Thanks for your order.

We would like to advise you that the CD you have ordered is a promotional one and are not factory pressed. We will proceed with your order when you confirm that this is acceptable. The quality of sound and artwork are excellent."

Uncle Jack
Nutshell

Post by Uncle Jack »

OHMSS didn't grab me like the others did. Maybe it was the electrifying vocals by Shirley Bassey and Tom Jones that gave those other two themes that indefinable something else. But OHMSS was from the pen of John Barry too, so that's a plus.
Oh well, I'm so off-topic now :lol:. Back to the Avengers!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

DiVicenzo wrote: Wouldn't the A side be 'We Have All The Time in The World' which is the love song/ theme from OHMSS? This soundtrack is without doubt my favourite of all soundtracks.
Yes, you're right because it was sold on the back of the Guinness advert which used that song (What a Wonderful World is still my favourite on it though :)). It's a bit confusing with them including the Bond connection, but I suppose that's what charted the Louis Armstrong stuff the previous time so they released it again!
KennyG
Nutshell

Post by KennyG »

I actually much prefer Dankworth's music, especially the main theme. Now if only I could figure out where I could get the full version of the Dankworth theme on vinyl/CD, I'd be a happy man...
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

KennyG wrote:Now if only I could figure out where I could get the full version of the Dankworth theme on vinyl/CD, I'd be a happy man...
I thought you could get it easily from Amazon, but having just checked apparently not. I don't have it either.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I got the full version of the Dankworth theme off itunes. It's apparently a cover version but is indistinguishable from the original. It's from the album "John Gregory and His Orchestra - Six Million Dollar TV Themes".

Both UK and USA Amazon do it.

http://www.amazon.com/Six-Million-Dolla ... 764#disc_1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Million-Dol ... B00004NJLX
Boswell
Thingumajig

Post by Boswell »

Stock music was mentioned here earlier.

I was looking for anything Doctor Who related on the web a few months back and came across this:

http://waxidermy.com/2007/12/08/eric-si ... ctronique/

I hope this works ok.

Eric siday's Conflict No.2 which you can listen to on this page was the stonking music used in Warlock whenever anything supernatural happened! It pops up in other 1960s shows like Out of the Unknown's Counterfeit Man and Doctor Who's The Moonbase.

It's stonking! I'd love to hear more from this chap.
ricardomartins
Thingumajig

Post by ricardomartins »

I would choose Laurie Johnson as the best composer for the series, and my choice for the best main theme. Johnson added another dimension to "The Avengers" with his lush orchestrations, his mysterious and catchy themes in each episode. How could one forget the themes of the auto race in "Dead Man's Treasure", the dance hall tracks for "Quick Quick Slow Death" or the eerie song and themes for "The Joker"?

But I like Johnny Dankworth pretty much too. I think his jazz riffs are very cool and his fight music just ideal. I think the problem of repetition isn't with him, but with the music editors for the series that used constantly the same themes of the library composed by Dankworth in the beginning of the series. If Dankworth could have been brought to score each episode as the scenes rolled on before him, I'm sure his music scores for Honor Blackman's series would have been much better.