The Avengers on Blu-ray in France

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

MRotten wrote:It seems to me that having two formats is confusing. Remember the battle between VHS and Beta?
There was even a third format: Video 2000 from the Dutch company Philips.
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

Alan wrote:It's not the same as VHS v. Beta. The real battle was Blu-ray v. HD-DVD
Yes, but as you can notice, people start to think the battle is DVD versus BR.
Odd, isn't it?
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

Peter Motte wrote:
Alan wrote:It's not the same as VHS v. Beta. The real battle was Blu-ray v. HD-DVD
Odd, isn't it?
Battle? The two aren't comparable. You either have an HDTV,or you don't.
They're going to be(have been) released on blu Ray whether people like it or not. Don't have the scratch? Stick with the DVDs.There's no shame.
btw, at Best Buy the Blu Ray section has grown significantly even in the past few weeks. If they don't offer or carry Blu Ray in your area, check out Amazon. DVD will get phased out as HD becomes more affordable.
Strange Young Man
Little Wonder

Post by Strange Young Man »

That release date is still a fair way off. I'd love for some screen grabs to turn up!

As for Blu Ray, I haven't invested in it yet. I have a HDTV, but it's only 26" so the HD video isn't that imperative. I will definitely adopt the tech when it becomes mainstream in popularity and price.
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

Yeah, I think I'm one of the extreme minority on this forum that has converted. Blu Ray is pretty mainstream here in Detroit. I've got a 46" In the living room that I only feed HD and a 27 " in the bedroom that only gets SD. The 46 looks ridiculously better and it's the same distance. Even, just playing DVDs on a Blu Ray player makes a vast improvement.
Star Trek looks amazing and I can't wait for the Prisoner release, here in the States on Tuesday! But I'm really looking forward to seasons 5 and 6!
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

ikbtops wrote:
Peter Motte wrote:
Odd, isn't it?
They're going to be(have been) released on blu Ray whether people like it or not. Don't have the scratch? Stick with the DVDs.There's no shame.
btw, at Best Buy the Blu Ray section has grown significantly even in the past few weeks. If they don't offer or carry Blu Ray in your area, check out Amazon. DVD will get phased out as HD becomes more affordable.
A lot of archive TV shows will never be released on BD though. For 625-line PAL, DVD is sufficient and BD players will upscale and play DVDs perfectly fine. Indeed, some disks of extras in BD sets are actually DVDs.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Klaus
Nutshell

Post by Klaus »

It will be an event when we get the Blu Ray release. I am currently watching the Blu Ray release of The Prisoner and it is not really possible for me to ever watch the dvd version again.
When the original material is film, not video like the first seasons of The Avengers, Blu Ray is head and shoulders above dvd - even on my non-HD flat screen tv. The filmed seasons of The Avengers is waiting to stun us all.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I can honestly say, when I visit my local HMV, I go up the stairs to the DVD section go past the new releases and the first section to my left are all Blu-ray. It's just that one section so far, but the first row of discs I see. Also I've noticed TV commercials saying "On Blu-ray from Monday" no mention of DVD sometimes.

LaserDiscs passed me by completely I'm afraid. By the time I was aware of them they were obsolete.
me too..totally passed me by...around the height of the VHS era...I do remember seeing them in stores, and how costly both the players and discs were....looking back, they were sorta like GIANT DVD's...

I never knew any of my friends, who owned a player, etc...

But from what I understood at the time, the picture, etc was light years ahead of analog VHS tape..

Every once in an while, I see laser discs for sale..like a dollar or two..for 'em.....
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

Frankymole wrote:
ikbtops wrote:
Peter Motte wrote: Yes, but as you can notice, people start to think the battle is DVD versus BR.
Odd, isn't it?
A lot of archive TV shows will never be released on BD though. For 625-line PAL, DVD is sufficient and BD players will upscale and play DVDs perfectly fine. Indeed, some disks of extras in BD sets are actually DVDs.
Wow. I hope we're not one of them. :roll:
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

ikbtops wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
ikbtops wrote: Battle? The two aren't comparable. You either have an HDTV,or you don't.
Wow. I hope we're not one of them. :roll:
Filmed shows are fine for BD (the extra detail is there in the film image). But 405-line videotaped shows will have no better quality picture (there simply is no extra detail - in fact there's less detail than a modern television picture), so there's no point. That's everything up to the last Cathy Gale story!
Last watched: "Concerto"