Blu Ray release in the UK

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

ikbtops
Little Wonder

Blu Ray release in the UK

Post by ikbtops »

It now looks official on the Amazon.co.uk site, that a release of season 4 is slated. Although 7 months away, I'm excited and hope to see some nice extras...SO FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE A BLU RAY PLAYER AND ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE RELEASE-Any thoughts on what we think it should/ will include?
Last edited by ikbtops on Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

Hmmm.
Interesting that no one seems to give a toss about this one. :?
Klaus
Nutshell

Post by Klaus »

I think we all do. But with all new Blu Ray releases, 7 months will become 14 or 21 months, just look at the French ditto release plans. The Prisoner was delayed two years I think.
I am certainly planning on buying the dvd release this spring no matter how soon a Blu Ray is said to be released. :D
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

ikbtops wrote:Hmmm.
Interesting that no one seems to give a toss about this one. :?
As the BBC techie programme (on the radio) pointed out, BluRay's timing has been disastrous, with the biggest recession in history hitting right around now.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I'll stick with DVD. Most of my retro tastes won't benefit from Blu ray. And even I'm not daft enough to invest in more hardware just for season 4 Avengers ... :)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
crumptonmp
White Dwarf

Post by crumptonmp »

I'm not buying any of the filmed Avengers (Rigg onwards) on DVD again. I'm definitely waiting for the blurays. I think it likely that Amazon have jumped the gun. If a release was in the pipeline they'd have a date and price up by now.
ikbtops
Little Wonder

Post by ikbtops »

I totally agree,Crumptonmp. I guess I'm an optimist and hoping for the best...
If, and when season five is released,I think it will look amazing clean and clear and more real than the sketchy looking DVDs. The Prisoner Blu Ray is unbelievably gorgeous and retro. Why can't the Avengers be as well? Am I looking Forward to Season 4? not so much. For the UK it looks like the exact same program content as the DVDs anyhow. If you don't have and HDTV& Blu Ray-you don't know what you're missing and perhaps it's best anyway.
SteedMonk
Little Wonder

Post by SteedMonk »

ikbtops wrote:I totally agree,Crumptonmp. I guess I'm an optimist and hoping for the best...
If, and when season five is released,I think it will look amazing clean and clear and more real than the sketchy looking DVDs. The Prisoner Blu Ray is unbelievably gorgeous and retro. Why can't the Avengers be as well? Am I looking Forward to Season 4? not so much. For the UK it looks like the exact same program content as the DVDs anyhow. If you don't have and HDTV& Blu Ray-you don't know what you're missing and perhaps it's best anyway.
If I would have a Blu-ray player, I would also wait until the Blu-ray edition is released! But the quality of the DVD is not bad. In Germany they released recently the Tara King episodes and they look very good and certainly not sketchy. They were newly remastered and the Optimum release will have the same quality. I don't think that it is worthwhile to buy a Blu-ray player only for the Avengers, because the quality is also in SD extremely well.
Steed: "Eee-urp!!"
Philippa
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by Philippa »

I'm still not sure I even know what Blu-ray is to be honest :lol:
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

Blu Ray refers to the more sensitive blue (actually violet) laser in the player, as opposed to the red laser of DVD players.

As the DVD laser is more precise than the CD laser (and thus, we can fit more data into the same physical space), so a Blu Ray laser is more precise than a DVD laser. As the lasers become more precise, the pits that they read on the disc can become smaller.

Apologies if you were just kidding, but I didn't know until a few months ago (and that last info just a few minutes ago). :D