Dutch DVD releases

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

The Workaholic
Nutshell

Post by The Workaholic »

Norbert wrote:Op deze DVD staan de volgende afleveringen:

Episode 1: From Venus With Love, (49.15 min.) - 1e TV-uitzending: 14-1-1967
Mrs Peel en Steed onderzoeken een aantal zeer onverklaarbare doden. Dit zijn astronomen, die allen geïnteresseerd zijn in de planeet Venus. Ze zijn allen dood neergevallen, tijdens hun nachtelijke kijkje naar Venus. Is de planeet de doodsoorzaak? Mr. Steeds meld zich aan as lid van de Britse Venus vereniging, terwijl Mrs. Peel achter een ongeïdentificeerd, vliegend object aangaat.

Episode 2: The Fear Merchants, (44.23 min.) - 1e TV-uitzending: 21-1-1967
Een aantal mensen uit dezelfde branche worden op vreemde wijze allemaal gek en komen in een inrichting terecht. Steed gaat bij de laatst nog gezonde persoon uit die branche langs om te kijken wat er aan de hand is. Mrs. Peel begeeft op gevaarlijk terrein…

Episode 3: Escape In Time, (49.22 min.) - 1e TV uitzending: 28-1-1967
Er verdwijnen allerlei criminelen op mysterieuze wijze. Steed en Mrs. Peel komen erachter dat de personen die verdwenen allen met een pluche beest een bepaalde route aflegden. Mr. Steed en Mrs Peel besluiten hetzelfde te gaan doen. Dit echter niet zonder gevaar voor eigen leven.
In an old forum - no longer existant - a Dutch or Belgian fan wrote that this episode is five minutes shorter than the others. Perhaps, the disc was pressed again including the complete episode.
44.23 is just a typo. The real running time is 49.23
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

A new development with the Dutch A-Film DVD release. I saw this on eBay, but can't find it on any internet store website:

The newest DVD box off the individual season put together in a grand collection box. Very eyepleasing, for the first time I doubted whether I am better off with my "first editions" where the the colour episodes come in 9 separate boxes with each two DVD's and season two in one box, but a larger one made from a harder material.

This set includes all surviving episodes except Girl on a Trapeze and Hot Snow and lacks any extras too. Too bad they didn't include the New Avengers.
the_e
Nutshell

Post by the_e »

looks like they repackaged the emma peel colors and the rest is the same ol same ol.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

They repackaged the Emma Peels in that format a while back...
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

The Emma Peels first went on sale in 4 boxes each with two DVD's, the Tara King's in 5 boxes with each two DVD's except the last one which had three.
Season 2 was first published in a sturdy box with 7 DVD's in 7 slim cases later in a smaller boxes with 7 DVD's in 4 slim cases, which is the one you will find in this collection.
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

Allard wrote:A new development with the Dutch A-Film DVD release. I saw this on eBay, but can't find it on any internet store website:

The newest DVD box off the individual season put together in a grand collection box. Very eyepleasing, for the first time I doubted whether I am better off with my "first editions" where the the colour episodes come in 9 separate boxes with each two DVD's and season two in one box, but a larger one made from a harder material.

This set includes all surviving episodes except Girl on a Trapeze and Hot Snow and lacks any extras too. Too bad they didn't include the New Avengers.
How does this set compare with the new Optimum UK ones? Is there a review of the sets online in English? Thanks!
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Well I don't own THIS box set, but I do own the same DVD's in other boxes.
So ask me anything you want, or read through this thread I already gave lengthy explanations about these DVD's.

Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

But in short:

Dutch A-Film release:

Pro's:
* Superb disc, no playback issues.
* Cheap.
* Overall picture quality is good.

Con's:
* Some Tara Kings have less good picture quality.
* Some episodes maybe cut.
* Not remastered as good as the Optimum release.
* No extras (not counting the flimsy filmographies).
* Some minor but stupid flaws:
- Mixed up and wrong episode titles and descriptions.
- Italian title sequence for Pandora.
- Rotters and Invasion of Earthman menu links mixed up.

UK (new) Optimum release:

Pro's:
* An incredible baggage of extras.
* Best remastering until now.
* Done with great accuracy and expertise (by Jaz and Alan).

Con's:
* Expensive.

I am not aware of any playback issues.

If you want to know more, please read through this thread first. If you can't find it feel free to ask.
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

Allard wrote:Well I don't own THIS box set, but I do own the same DVD's in other boxes.
So ask me anything you want, or read through this thread I already gave lengthy explanations about these DVD's.

Thank you! I'm reviewing your previous comments.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: New Dutch DVD releases

Post by mousemeat »

Allard wrote:
Great news for all Dutch speaking Avengers lovers A-Film finally is continuing their release of the Avengers on DVD.

Starting in 2003 with the Peel colour episodes and soon followed by the Tara King episodes were first released, fans had to wait until 2007 for the next release, which was the second season.

Now they finally more or less completed the collection, on October the 23rd seasons three and four are going on sale. Each in a seven DVD box, for just 25 euro's. Which will probably mean little or no extras as usual but if it comes in the same strong box as season two, that would be just fine with me.

Now all that is missing is the New Avengers and Hot Snow and Girl on the Trapeze. Although I find the quality of the discs very good (or excellent) not one extra has been featured until now, only the same filmographies of Macnee, Rigg, Thorson and Gale on every disc!

The Peel colours and the Tara King's are also re-released, I am guessing in one (strong?) box now and not the four standard boxes from 2003.

For those of you who are wondering, the DVD's will be original sound with subtitles. Only children's programmes are dubbed in the Netherlands.

Another thing; They are already being offered on eBay, my fair warning, don't overpay!

Information about the old season 2 DVD box
Information about the new season 3 DVD box
Information about the new season 4 DVD box
Information about the reissued Peel colour DVD box
Information about the reissued Tara King DVD box

Season Four on Bol.com
Season Three on Bol.com

(For info on other Avengers DVD's just search for "Wrekers" on these sites.)

I would dearly love to see a proper release with the best source material possible..and cleaned up..along with some great extras..

one day, it'll happen....(sigh)