Mrs Peel's background

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Mrs Peel's background

Post by DiVicenzo »

Now, for all these years I thought we only knew about Peter Peel and he being a test pilot when Brian Clemens wrote 'The Forget-Me-Knot' but I have just received a Daily Mirror from Sep 1965 and he is mentioned there like this:

'Let me introduce you to Emma Peel, internationally-educated daughter of a wealthy shipowner and youthful widow of a famous test pilot'

So, we also have more background in that opening sentence too - about her father...but, in 'The House That Jack Built' are ships mentioned?
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I knew I'd read that descriptor somewhere! It must have been reprinted in a Rogers book or something. But it doesn't surprise me since most of the characters got a backgrounder.

I don't think ships are mentioned as part of Knight Industries, but it could be a branch of the main business.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

I thought Emma's daddy owned an electronics manufacturing outfit?
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

What does it say in the Avengers bible?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Andrew Pixley's The Avengers Files says:

"Emma's father was Sir John Knight who by 1950 was building up a formidable business empire of Knight Industries of which he was chairman; Patrick Macnee described him in 1965 as a "shipping magnate"." Some of those sources include Dead Duck and that same Daily Mirror article. There was also some stuff in the TV Times New Avengers special, but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Andrew Pixley's The Avengers Files says:

"Emma's father was Sir John Knight who by 1950 was building up a formidable business empire of Knight Industries of which he was chairman; Patrick Macnee described him in 1965 as a "shipping magnate"." Some of those sources include Dead Duck and that same Daily Mirror article. There was also some stuff in the TV Times New Avengers special, but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment.
All very interesting - thanks!
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

Very interesting to read all of this. Thanks everyone for the info! :D
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Buy the book, it's indispensible.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Mrs.Peel's backGround

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Buy the book, it's indispensible.
Yes, it is...

' I wonder what Mrs.Gale could be doing at Fort Knox ? '.....
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Her father appears in the "June" comic strip (http://wingedavenger.theavengers.tv/comics/june.htm) about the young Emma Knight's adventures in some middle-eastern kingdom. Her father certainly owns a huge yacht/ship so may well be in the business - the Avengers Illustrated site says " It features the fourteen-year old Emma Knight, as she was then, and her father, the shipping magnate, Sir John Knight. Emma is being taught judo by a Chinese chef on her Father's yacht, and she also has a strong interest in the latest fashions. She and her Father are visiting the 'small middle eastern country of Fezra' when Emma becomes embroiled in an adventure with the beautiful Princess Asha."

He obviously has other industrial interests though, in order for the automation plot of "The House That Jack Built" to make sense.

I have the strip downloaded somewhere but can't get to it at present.