Optimum season 2 DVDs - faults and dodgy discs.

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

The Workaholic
Nutshell

Post by The Workaholic »

Alan wrote:No. It's unlikely to work like that as that scenario would require retailers to return all affected product they have in stock, and they are normally not motivated enough to do so.
Why would retailers not return affected products they have in stock ?
If they sell these sets, the customer will return the set to the online-shop or bring back to the street-store, and ask for replacement or cancelling the buy. So the retailer will have to return the affected sets anyway. If they don't do it now, they will have to do it later, and have unsatisfied customers.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Simple answer is that retailers look at the big picture and a couple of cut episodes on one DVD release out of the thousands they sell is small beer and not worth their attention.

There is also the consideration that large numbers of people who buy the DVDs will not notice the errors and therefore the retailers will consider it not worth bothering.

Fortunately, Optimum care a fair bit more!
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Miska_cz
Little Wonder

Post by Miska_cz »

Hmm, I look but I think that i must wait just a little bit longer for the box set with Cathy. The cost are very high and if you said there are faulty discs, may I shold wait
Miska_Cz :o)
Mike
Nutshell

Post by Mike »

Just got my Series 1/2 set from Amazon the other day. Fantastic! Jaz, thanks so much for all the effort you put into the set. It's an absolute treasure trove with the Leonard White scrapbook and the disc extras :)

The only question I have is where do I send off for the replacement corrected discs?

Thanks
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

The final announcement re. the replacement discs is coming soon. There will definitely be replacements - don't worry about that - we're just awaiting the go-ahead to let people know exactly what to do.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Mr S
Thingumajig

Post by Mr S »

Hello - long time Avenger lurker here - just watched Hot Snow and Trapeze tonight, and was incredibly impressed by the picture and sound quality. Very enjoyable episode, I felt I was watching genuine TV history. Well done to all involved. Will disc 1 be remastered, as I can't play all of the extras?

Mr S (no, it's not S for Steed!)
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

A while back, Jaz asked who would be interested in the option to purchase the Leonard White scrapbook, and I think one or two other things maybe, separately. Has anything come of that?
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

Sam wrote:A while back, Jaz asked who would be interested in the option to purchase the Leonard White scrapbook, and I think one or two other things maybe, separately. Has anything come of that?
I'm dying to get my hands on it too...
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Currently working my way through season 2. I waited and managed to get the corrected version. I recently watched Dead on course and was surprised at how much interference there was to the picture at various points in the episode (picture runs mainly). Does anyone know if this is a problem with the source material. If it is then I guess no amount of technology will produce a better picture. Apart from that I'm very impressed with the quality of all 5 box sets after dipping in and watching parts of them. I hope more Ian Hendry episodes surface in the future. The 2 and a 1/3 episodes we have are superb. :D Rich.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

cyberrich wrote:Currently working my way through season 2. I waited and managed to get the corrected version. I recently watched Dead on course and was surprised at how much interference there was to the picture at various points in the episode (picture runs mainly). Does anyone know if this is a problem with the source material. If it is then I guess no amount of technology will produce a better picture. Apart from that I'm very impressed with the quality of all 5 box sets after dipping in and watching parts of them. I hope more Ian Hendry episodes surface in the future. The 2 and a 1/3 episodes we have are superb. :D Rich.
Yes, the film faults are burnt in to the original telerecording negatives. On the earlier releases they were simply snipped out of the versions on DVDs - here we get them complete and unedited.
Last watched: "Concerto"