Does the era you first see influence your preference?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

Does the era you first see influence your preference?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:18 am

Yes, the season I saw first is my favourite
30%
No, my favourite season is not the one I saw first
50%
I have no preference of seasons
5%
My preference changes from time to time
15%
I've never thought about it/undecided
No votes

Total votes: 20

Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

As I'm sure I wrote elsewhere in the thread, my favourite season is not the one that I saw first, and I voted accordingly. But I still have great affection for season 5. It'll forever have emotional resonance for me because it marked one of those "landmark" events in my childhood (introducing me to the series). But I look at the colour episodes as familiar old friends, like the cartoons from my childhood. Technically speaking they weren't the best the series offered, but they go down nice and easy, and sometimes that's what I want. But I'd still rank the monochrome Emmas above them. Ditto for TNA. I actually saw the second season first, so I associate it with hooking me on the series and providing a very bright spot in a pretty rough summer. I think the age you see the seasons might have something to do with it, too. The colour Emmas are cartoony enough that they work for kids. TNA's darker edge plugs nicely into adolescent angst--I remember the first time I saw episodes like Dead Men are Dangerous and Obsession, they were like suckerpunches to the gut (I think season 2, when it was really, really good, probably did some of the bravest stories of the whole series). I doubt that spawning my first TV crush hurt it, either. :wink: But on balance I'd still pick season one over it. So there's context to be taken into account, too.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:UPDATE: I've now added a poll to this thread 8)
Although I inevitably saw the color Emmas first (with season TNA being an all-but forgotten childhood memory, having seen part of 1 episode on 1st transmission), the B&W Emmas will always be the definitive episodes for me and the first I show to 'newbies'.

Tara will always be the most desirable Avengers woman, though...
Last watched: "The Charmers"
denis
Winged Avenger

Post by denis »

My answer is NO. I started with The Rotters in 1975 but my favourite seasons are now 4, 5 and the first TNA !
Mararaboomdiay
Little Wonder

Post by Mararaboomdiay »

I have voted for ''the first season I watched is my favourite'', because it is the New Avengers. I still find myself rewatching those a lot, but that's - to be honest - partly because of Joanna. (since it was her breakthrough into the industry after all...)

I've come to think of the Steed + partner as the more typical format for the show though. Since the Peel's are much better known (and loved?) I've grown quite into those too. And of course I do occasionally enjoy one of the older Gales or a King episode or two, but I'd generally say TNA is (still) my favourite.
marty
Nutshell

Post by marty »

i have to say the first episodes i watched were the diana rigg b/w series -followed by the colour episodes - for me these are still the best -my girlfriend has bought me the complete collection of avengers episodes from click dvd - i have never seen the early episodes before so my opinion could change :?: marty
gaucho vengador
Thingumajig

Post by gaucho vengador »

First chapter I saw of the Avengers was They Keep Killing Steed, with Tara King, it was more than thirty years ago. That same year I saw The Hidden Tiger with Emma Peel after that I became a fan of the serie. Well, at that time, there was no Color T.V. in my country so all the seasons were monochrome, ja,ja,ja,ja. Well, ten years ago, the whole seasons, including Cathy Gale´s, were back at cable channel in Argentina. I saw them again. Now as an adult I like monochrome season a little more than the others. But there are good chapters at the color one.
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

I first saw the Avengers with the initial B&W episodes in the US, so my first experience was with Mrs. Peel, followed by Tara King. I'm not sure I saw any of the Cathy's until 1991, but we did have some BBC access before that, and I may have seen them then.

I can't say whether or not that affected my preference, but my first love is the Emma seasons - both B&W and color, followed by the Tara seasons, TNA, then the early Cathy era. And I cared absolutely zero about the King/Venus episodes.
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
happychap
Thingumajig

Post by happychap »

The first episodes I saw were the season 5 Emmas, and no that isn't my favorite season overall - probably season 4 is...

BUT, the first few episodes I saw made an initial impression and these are amongst my very
favorites. "Death's Door" "Something Nasty in the Nursery" and "Murdersville" come to mind.

I should point out though, "Too Many Chrismas Trees", when I did finally see it, had a diluted impact due to having seen "Death's Door" first, which has some plot similarities. It's somewhat hard for me to guage the true worth of "Xmas Trees" as a result.