Steed Beater of Surrey Green

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Steed Beater of Surrey Green

Post by Borgus Weems »

Finally got to see Man Eater (which wouldn't work on one player, but DID work on a much better player), and was surprised to see Emma and Steed fighting when the alien plants took over her mind.

In this case, it seems that Steed got the better of Mrs. Peel, but then again, she was being mind controlled!

Is this the only genuine Steed VS Peel fight? Did he ever fight Cathy or Tara?
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

If you don't count Who's Who??(they ween't themselves anyway ) then this would be the only time Steed battles Emma. I think I've seen a clip of Cathy flipping Steed but maybe he was getting too saucy with her then. Don't know about Tara. :?
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Not terribly crazy about Man Eater of Surrey Green. Although I do like Dr Sheldon.

The Steed/Emma fight is rubbish. Not only contived but spoilt by the fact that 'Emma' is so obviously Billy Westely in a scary wig.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

Yeah, it did the old "Doctor Who" stand-by of inexplicably having a close-up of a stunt performer so obvious that nobody was fooled!

I thought the episode was pretty interesting from a horror-film POV, but probably not the best Avengers ever (interesting logic lapse: if the alien plant took over the driver of the truck who had seen the operation, why would you then execute the person?)

Here's a question that I didn't think was quite clear: when they poured the plant killer on Emma's jacket and the plant took it... did Steed take off Mrs. Peel's jacket and put it on a dummy, or did he just let the plant take Emma with the idea that it would die before it could eat her? My brother thinks he put it on a dummy, and that's why Emma didn't have her jacket at the end when she woke up; my thought is that it was still on Emma, and that it ate her jacket before dying.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Man-Eater of Surrey Green, I enjoyed hugely, I remember.
Quite exciting and thrilling an with the those small Avengers moments in it.
It is a bit to sci-fi, but because it's an exception for the Avengers, I like it as it is a one trip in another genre I usually don't care for.
And it also has this chillingly and lovely country side creepiness, which The Hour That Never Was also has.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I think that Steed and Tara have a minor tussle in Love All..?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Borgus Weems wrote: Here's a question that I didn't think was quite clear: when they poured the plant killer on Emma's jacket and the plant took it... did Steed take off Mrs. Peel's jacket and put it on a dummy, or did he just let the plant take Emma with the idea that it would die before it could eat her? My brother thinks he put it on a dummy, and that's why Emma didn't have her jacket at the end when she woke up; my thought is that it was still on Emma, and that it ate her jacket before dying.
I think it's supposed to be the mannequn that's wearing Emma's jacket to make the triffid-thing think it's a body. It's not exactly clear is it.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
hal anderson
Nutshell

Post by hal anderson »

Tara Throws steed at the end of Invasion of the Earthmen and Cathy throws Steed in The Secrets Broker
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Borgus Weems wrote: Here's a question that I didn't think was quite clear: when they poured the plant killer on Emma's jacket and the plant took it... did Steed take off Mrs. Peel's jacket and put it on a dummy, or did he just let the plant take Emma with the idea that it would die before it could eat her? My brother thinks he put it on a dummy, and that's why Emma didn't have her jacket at the end when she woke up; my thought is that it was still on Emma, and that it ate her jacket before dying.
I think it's supposed to be the mannequn that's wearing Emma's jacket to make the triffid-thing think it's a body. It's not exactly clear is it.
I always think it's pretty obvious it's Emma who gets dragged off--we never see any indication that Steed's taken Emma's jacket or used a dummy as bait. I haven't seen the episode in ages (not terribly fond of it. Man-Eating plant from space? Really?), but as far as I recall he just knocks her out, douses her with herbicide, and then leaves her there while he runs off and hides behind a wall. It's always kind of bothered me, to be honest--Steed's taking an awful risk that the plant will die before eating Emma. A pretty callous moment for this iteration of the character. :?

This is the only real time Steed has a real fight with one of his partners (except maybe for Dr. Keel--I think they come to blows at one when they disagree about Steed's methods in one of the missing episodes). In Invasion of the Earthmen Tara is only practicing her fighting in one of the episodes, and ends up throwing Steed. Ditto with Cathy in Mr. Teddy Bear--another practice bout. They do pretend to scuffle in The Nutshell, when Cathy goes in to visit the imprisoned Steed, I think, but I believe they're using it as a front to pass on a gun or something. And, of course, he doesn't so much fight Gambit as play on emotions and then kick him where it hurts in Hostage. I always get the feeling he enjoys that a bit more than he'd admit...
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
costumr
Nutshell

Post by costumr »

Timeless-A-Peel wrote:
I always think it's pretty obvious it's Emma who gets dragged off--we never see any indication that Steed's taken Emma's jacket or used a dummy as bait. I haven't seen the episode in ages (not terribly fond of it. Man-Eating plant from space? Really?), but as far as I recall he just knocks her out, douses her with herbicide, and then leaves her there while he runs off and hides behind a wall. It's always kind of bothered me, to be honest--Steed's taking an awful risk that the plant will die before eating Emma. A pretty callous moment for this iteration of the character.
I'm sorry but I strenuously disagree. I always believed Steed used the dummy with Emma's jacket. That's why the dummy's were there in the first place, plotwise. I haven't seen it in awhile, but the several times I have it always seemed to me that the dummy was the bait.

Don