Season 6 : Top ten

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
gaucho vengador
Thingumajig

Post by gaucho vengador »

Well, I can choose for the top ten, the following:

1. All done with mirrors.
2. Look (Stop me if you´ve heard this one) But There were these two fellers...
3. Invasion of the Earthmen.
4. Get-A-Way.
5. Take me to your leader.
6. Killer
7. Who was that Man I saw you with?
8. The morning after.
9. They keep killing Steed.
10. Game
happychap
Thingumajig

Post by happychap »

cyberrich wrote:Good top 10 Happychap and 4 of yours are in mine. I've always rated Game as the best one followed by Mirrors, Fog and Stay tuned in that order. Faultless in every way. I'm halfway through watching season 6 (for the umpteenth time!) and this week I'm up to Earthmen. I stand by my earlier view of 6 episodes that miss the mark in this season, and this is one of them. Decidedly average in every way and just not The Avengers. The sets aren't bad actually, but the script misses the point of the Avengers in a bad way, and poor Linda was given a horrible makeover by the hair and fashion stylists. This gorgeous young woman was made to look like a cross between Harpo Marx and a Xmas tree fairy. I HATE the bleached blonde hair and the unflattering brown leather outfit. Thank heavens she was allowed to be her natural self after the first 3 episodes. She was stunning in Mirrors. There really were some very inventive scripts in this season. I'm glad that these days season 6 isn't as overlooked as it has been. Richard.
Yes indeed Rich, I do believe in terms of sheer invention S6 is The Avengers at its all-time peak. And now I'm off to fill the holes in my Season 3.
(Just watched Espirit de Corps). 8)
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

gaucho vengador wrote:Well, I can choose for the top ten, the following:

4. Get-A-Way.
6. Killer
8. The morning after.
10. Game
Thanks for placing Look stop me in 2nd place! (Shame about your 3rd place though! :wink: ) Now, I'm no longer alone in placing Look stop me in my top 10. You'd be amazed how many hate this episode on our forum. I must admit I thought it was ludicrous when I first saw it in the 80s. When I saw it again about 10 years later I suddenly realised what a good episode it was. Maybe in time it will garner a few more fans when people begin to reappraise it. Rich.
gaucho vengador
Thingumajig

Post by gaucho vengador »

cyberrich wrote:
gaucho vengador wrote:Well, I can choose for the top ten, the following:

4. Get-A-Way.
6. Killer
8. The morning after.
10. Game
Thanks for placing Look stop me in 2nd place! (Shame about your 3rd place though! :wink: ) Now, I'm no longer alone in placing Look stop me in my top 10. You'd be amazed how many hate this episode on our forum. I must admit I thought it was ludicrous when I first saw it in the 80s. When I saw it again about 10 years later I suddenly realised what a good episode it was. Maybe in time it will garner a few more fans when people begin to reappraise it. Rich.
Well, I must admit these are my favourite ten but I don´t exactly put them in order of preference. If I must do it my list could be like this:

3. Take me to your leader.
4. Who was the man I saw you with?
5. Killer
6. Get-A-way
7.They keep Killing Steed.
8. The morning after.
9. Invasion of the Earthmen.
10. Game

I must say, I love Look (Stop me if....). It has a lot of absurd humor. Some moments of it, remember me Marx Brothers film. It is a very colourful episode. And talking about Invasion of Earthmen, I like it , it has some bizarre moments, for example when Tara discover the astronaut floating in the room. And although Tara is a very beautiful brunette, she looks very atractive as a blonde. Maybe if you see it in the next 10 years, you´ll change your opinion. :wink:
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

My faves along with one reason:

1. My Wildest Dream (the fight with Dyson)
2. All Done with Mirrors (the cordoroy outfit)
3. Look (Stop Me..) (red nosed comedians)
4. False Witness (fight in the milk vat)
5. Get-a-way (Tara is adorable in the tag scene)
6. You'll Catch Your Death (the nose knows)
7. Split (Tara in the orange suit from Intro 1)
8. Super Secret Cypher... ("never leave your ladder unattended")
9. Whoever Shot Poor George.... (Tara: "Where's the resemblance?" Steed: "The knees")
10. Have Guns - Will Haggle (Tara in tartan)

Just watched "Pandora", and with a fresh viewing I must say it is an excellent episode. Should be in the Top 10 after all!
Last edited by MRotten on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

It's great to see such a variety of favourites in these lists. Season 6 is a wonderfully diverse season and I think our favourites reflect that (Fantastic to see the love for Invasion of the Earthmen).
norw27
Little Wonder

Post by norw27 »

Season 6 is my absolute favourite and I'm loving how diverse everybody's top ten is, also how many people seem to love the "rotten" episodes, long live Invasion and Have Guns! Haha! :D

I will admit defeat on Homicide, surely there was another way of salvaging the original other than as a flashback episode, the biggest mistake is including the Christopher Lee clip.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

norw27 wrote:Season 6 is my absolute favourite and I'm loving how diverse everybody's top ten is, also how many people seem to love the "rotten" episodes, long live Invasion and Have Guns! Haha! :D

I will admit defeat on Homicide, surely there was another way of salvaging the original other than as a flashback episode, the biggest mistake is including the Christopher Lee clip.
"Homicide..." is, I'm afraid, dreadful hash (or rehash).

I wouldn't say Season 6 is better than Season 5, but there is a definite freshness to the stories as well as the fresh Linda Thorson as Tara King adding a great deal to the proceedings. We all love Mrs. Peel, but Tara has her charms, too.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Cyberrich: I agree with you about Look. Both myself and my son love it. You definitely have an Avengers book 'in' you as your comments are always insightful.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Rodney wrote:Cyberrich: I agree with you about Look. Both myself and my son love it. You definitely have an Avengers book 'in' you as your comments are always insightful.
Thanks for the kind comments Rodney. I also enjoy reading your comments on this terrific series. I always admire someone who is prepared to put his head on the block and fly in the face of popular opinion! As I very often do on this forum. :lol: What is so great about The Avengers is that it covers such a wide spectrum of styles and tastes, very much as Hitchcock's career did. From the shaky and primitive videotape of gritty realism to the luscious technicolour of otherwordliness. As I've always said, there's something for everyone with The Avengers. I can't think of many other series who can lay claim to that accolade. Richard.