New UK DVD release of season 2 *SPOILERS WARNING*

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Halfhide
Winged Avenger

Hot Snow

Post by Halfhide »

Well I've finally cracked open Box Set No.1 and watched 'Hot Snow'. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Hard to believe it was done live because all the performances were so polished. There's definitely a lot of Hitchcock touches in this episode, such as the villain hiding behind the door when Keel and Peggy are on the phone.

In a way, the lack of gunshot at the end of Act I makes it all the more surreal. And how cute was the Yorkshire Terrier? :lol:

The commentary by Leonard White was very enlightening. I was always of the opinion that Ian Hendry made a conscious decision to leave the show, but according to Leonard that wasn't strictly true .........

Looking forward to watching 'Girl On A Trapeze' tomorrow!
Last watched: The Undertakers
Halfhide
Winged Avenger

Girl On The Trapeze

Post by Halfhide »

'Girl On The Trapeze" - another corking episode. The conversations between Keel and Carol really sparkle - probably something to do with the fact that it was live! Dennis Spooner's first script kept certainly held my attention, and contained a few hints of the intriguing and wacky stories that were to come!

You can see the sweat glistening on Ian Hendry's forehead as, no doubt, the swift scene changes took their toll. I bet the cast and crew were glad of the two ad breaks!

A lot of people have commented "I didn't miss Steed in this story" but I certainly did..... ooh good he's in the next episode! :lol:
Last watched: The Undertakers
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

It looks like a very interesting edition for people who want to delve into The Avengers' history.
And it's nice they've put it on dvd instead of BR.
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Found this on eBay, two large images of the season 2 box set, including one of the back!

Rodney

Post by Rodney »

The episodes are far more enjoyable on this wonderful new boxset. Enjoyed the audio commentaries although both my father and Jaz provide some real bloomers on the Death of a Great Dane. These sets will certainly become an important part of the show's history.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

You could be right there. The prices for the Contender DVD sets have already plummeted on eBay (or may that's because of the recession).
I think it will be along time before a next release will be made (although the new HD/Blu-Ray technology makes it hard to predict), and those will unlikely match the Optimum version, making many fans rather buy this one second hand then any future version.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Rodney wrote:The episodes are far more enjoyable on this wonderful new boxset. Enjoyed the audio commentaries although both my father and Jaz provide some real bloomers on the Death of a Great Dane.
Bloomers? Is that good or bad? I only know them as oversized knickers or a kind of loaf!
Last watched: "Concerto"
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

As in Auntie's Bloomers. I think it's good as it reassures everyone that they are spontaneous conversations. My dad misremembers John Laurie returning in Mandrake (when it was A Funny Thing Happened) and Jaz, having referred to Barbara Woodhouse on set for the Great Danes, later asks my father what it must have been like with Barbara WINDSOR there. All part of the fun, I think, and infinitely better than dear old Pat reading Dave Rogers comments from an autocue. I reckon these commentaries will be treasured by fans and my father will certainly enjoy them.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Hopefully these sets will one day form part of an Avengers archive for future generations. The fact that my eleven year old son - whose personal favourite is Look.... - has been a fan for years shows that interest in the show will continue. These boxsets can only help.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Rodney wrote:As in Auntie's Bloomers. I think it's good as it reassures everyone that they are spontaneous conversations. My dad misremembers John Laurie returning in Mandrake (when it was A Funny Thing Happened) and Jaz, having referred to Barbara Woodhouse on set for the Great Danes, later asks my father what it must have been like with Barbara WINDSOR there. All part of the fun, I think, and infinitely better than dear old Pat reading Dave Rogers comments from an autocue. I reckon these commentaries will be treasured by fans and my father will certainly enjoy them.
That's really interesting, because I keep making the mental mistake of thinking John Laurie is in "Mandrake" (I think it's John Le Mesurier, and I keep mixing them up when I'm not really concentrating, because of the 'Dad's Army' connection, a kind of memory short-circuit!). Le Mesurier of course crops up in the Diana Rigg monochrome series too, and these "doppelgangers" can be confusing at the best of times. Your dad can definitely be forgiven that one! Not sure about Jaz's ref to Babs Windsor :)

On the archive issue, I don't think anything that's digitised will ever die, so long as new generations find something of worth. The absolute joy with which subsequent generations have greeted The Avengers means it will keep being converted to new media for decades to come - look how long something like the original Sherlock Holmes stories has lasted - when you read them, the humour and wit is very close to The Avengers and it encapsulates another iconic time - the 60s is as interesting and captivating as the Victorian era always will be.

Plus, the visual arts are getting more and more moribund. In the 60s (and the 80s repeats) The Avengers was a refreshing change. These days it is an oasis of creativity in a rotten sea of remakes or incoherent misery masquerading as "drama".
Last watched: "Concerto"