Avengers DVD Set 2 (Series 3) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I am doggedly determined to wait for the arrival of my replacements and reading the feedback on the season 3 box set before sending in my order. I don't want to go through the rigmarole of returning faulty discs again.

Not bothered about being the first one on the block with the new toy! :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
norw27
Little Wonder

Post by norw27 »

Agreed, also waiting for payday though! Glad to know others are still waiting for their replacement discs though, was getting worried!
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Rhonda wrote:Thanks Alan! Also trying to find out
Disc 1 ...
Disc 2 ...

(as I've yet to see Cathy episodes :
The Grandeur That Was Rome
The Secrets Broker
The Gilded Cage
The Medicine Man
The White Elephant
Trojan Horse
The Outside-In Man)
The episodes you want are on discs 2, 4, 5 and 6.
cybermanz
Thingumajig

Post by cybermanz »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I am doggedly determined to wait for the arrival of my replacements and reading the feedback on the season 3 box set before sending in my order. I don't want to go through the rigmarole of returning faulty discs again.

Same here. Not willing to have to return faulty discs all over again. It's way too expensive. I'll see what everyone says about this set before buying it.
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I am doggedly determined to wait for the arrival of my replacements and reading the feedback on the season 3 box set before sending in my order. I don't want to go through the rigmarole of returning faulty discs again.

Me too, I am not buying the season 3 box until it is confirmed fault-free. I'll rely on my Contenders until then.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

Darren wrote:
Rhonda wrote:Thanks Alan! Also trying to find out
Disc 1 ...
Disc 2 ...

(as I've yet to see Cathy episodes :
The Grandeur That Was Rome
The Secrets Broker
The Gilded Cage
The Medicine Man
The White Elephant
Trojan Horse
The Outside-In Man)
The episodes you want are on discs 2, 4, 5 and 6.
thank you
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I've just watched The Importance of Being Earnest on the set. it's a shame that only the final act could be included as I thoroughly enjoyed it. Patrick doesn't have much involvement but the whole cast are so wonderful - Fenella Fielding, Irene Handl, Wilfred Brambell, Susanna York (very cute back then) and the recently deceased Ian Carmichael. Really great direction from Bill Bain and what an incredible set, they really went for it.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Funnily enough the 1952 version was on this afternoon, but I fell asleep and missed it, bar the final credits.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Re: Avengers DVD Set 2 (Series 3) from Optimum

Post by Peter Motte »

jaz wrote:• PDFs of all 26 scripts, TV Times and more
No kidding! :shock:
That's great!
That adds weeks of reading entertainment to the viewing entertainment! :D
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Had a great weekend working my way through bit and pieces of the new boxset.

The episodes look as good as one would expect. I listened to all the commentaries and there is some great information shared. I didn't expect to enjoy Jonathan Alwyn so much. I'm not too excited by his direction (I loved his anecdote about watching Peter Hammond do his thing and going to the producer and saying, I'm not sure this is really my thing). It must be very difficult for them all to remember details from so long ago. I really loved Brian Clemens on Brief for Murder. The Richard Bates commentary meant that I've actually managed to finish the episode:).

One niggle is that the Studio Canal intro that opens every episode is intensely annoying, I have to turn the sound off. It's an annoying intro on so many DVD's that I own but having it on every episode is overkill.

I love that PDF of the Meet the Avengers and how it breaks down the cast and crew etc (nice to finally see a shot of John Bryce - being a 29 year seems so young to have been in charge - so he was only in his mid-30s when he took over season 6 briefly). Disappointed that Brief for Murder was only a dialogue script as I love reading the camera scripts.

I've still got loads of episodes to watch but it's all very enjoyable. I'm pleased that the photo galleries have on-screen buttons just a shame they cover so much of the actual photos rather than on the borders.

I watched The Charmers, although the deeper voices still sound rather daleky, I'd forgotten how funny Fenella Fielding was in this episode. She's always been a lot of fun to watch and it's great to be able to see her in The Importance of Being Earnest.