Blu Ray release in the UK

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

3D will be available on forthcoming Blu-ray systems anyway. I really don't see it as a threat and it really is something that just won't take off. Particularly in a recession.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

Alan wrote:Yes and yes!
Wonderful news. I really would like to see The Avengers on blu ray.

Is this listing for Series 4 on blu ray legitimate?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Avengers-Se ... 197&sr=8-1

Will it also street in May with the DVD counterpart?

I'm hoping I will be able to import and watch the set here in the US, if true.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

No, it's not a confirmed release. Optimum have said there will be no Avengers Blu-rays in the UK until 2011 at the earliest, if at all.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Strange Young Man wrote:It's way too early to declare 3D a serious threat to the home movie market. There is virtually no worthwhile content in 3D and I hardly think anyone will be racing out to upgrade their TVs again just say they can see My Bloody Valentine 3D at home.
Rupert Murdoch's Sky empire is bringing out a Sky 3D channel soon though. It will probably mostly have sports at first.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Lando

Post by Lando »

Alan wrote:No, it's not a confirmed release. Optimum have said there will be no Avengers Blu-rays in the UK until 2011 at the earliest, if at all.
That is too bad. I was hoping they would be coming a bit quicker. The Prisoner and Star Trek series sets on blu ray show how amazing older tv shows can be in HD, IMO. I actually think with blu ray at times I'm more impressed with the audio track's richness and clarity even more than the picture at times.

Hopefully Optimum changes course and adds at least 1 set on blu ray / HD release in 2010.
Halfhide
Winged Avenger

Post by Halfhide »

Alan wrote:No, it's not a confirmed release. Optimum have said there will be no Avengers Blu-rays in the UK until 2011 at the earliest, if at all.
That is indeed a shame. Maybe it's because there may not be much of a market for old series on Blu-Ray because of the mistaken belief (and I include myself in this :oops: ) that the picture quality can't be improved upon in Blu-Ray?
Last watched: The Undertakers
Lando

Post by Lando »

Halfhide wrote:
That is indeed a shame. Maybe it's because there may not be much of a market for old series on Blu-Ray because of the mistaken belief (and I include myself in this :oops: ) that the picture quality can't be improved upon in Blu-Ray?
Quite. The Prisoner and Star Trek were both filmed in the 60's and look amazing on blu ray. Hands down the best I've ever seen either series look. Add to that the audio is a vast improvement as well.

Hopefully we get a blu ray release for The Avengers soon.

The early James Bond films look and sound amazing on blu ray as well.
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

Frankymole wrote:Rupert Murdoch's Sky empire is bringing out a Sky 3D channel soon though. It will probably mostly have sports at first.
Or things with big boops.

I thought Sky went bust? Or was it another English channel?
Last edited by Peter Motte on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte, translator English/French to Dutch
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

Strange Young Man wrote:There is virtually no worthwhile content in 3D
I agree with you on that, but I think "they" expect Avatar to make the difference.
BTW: I even don't find Avatar to be worthwile content.
Prrr......
-----------
Peter Motte
Little Wonder

Post by Peter Motte »

Lando wrote:The early James Bond films look and sound amazing on blu ray as well.
But they were made for big cinema screens. Quality must have been better than that of tv shows.
Prrr......
-----------