Someone Has Stolen Big Ben (ABC Groovy Mix)

Brollies, bowlers and boots (kinky, of course) are just a mouse click away. Tell us what Avengerish things you have found on the web.
DiVicenzo
The Bird Who Wrote Too Much

Post by DiVicenzo »

Just fantastic! Thanks! And, I love the silencer bit! I don't remember that! But I have watched the Cathy Gale era in ages - time to go back methinks!
thesaintlyone
Nutshell

Post by thesaintlyone »

Thats exactly what it was made for, thanks but which episode to start with eh?
hmm...

Wonder if you can find the episode with the silencer scene.
the saintly one, thats me.
DiVicenzo

Post by DiVicenzo »

thesaintlyone wrote:Thats exactly what it was made for, thanks but which episode to start with eh?
hmm...

Wonder if you can find the episode with the silencer scene.
I think I'll just start at the beginning. It's an ideal time too as my Sky is out and won't be fixed until next Tuesday ...so, I'll especially watch for the silencer episode :lol:
Oliver Twist
Nutshell

Post by Oliver Twist »

thesaintlyone wrote:Thanks for the appreciation, I have to agree the videotaped series certainly has a great edgyness to it and artistically I probably prefer it now. The moment you talk about unfortunately never went down in Avengers history as the sfx and the dialogue were just too low, thats where I had a hand replacing the old effect with better one from the era, making that moment what It should have been, bloody funny and really very cool, certainly not the Steed most people know anyhow.

Just a note on that someone mentioned that Steed had to change his act after letting Mrs Gale down and started to act like a old gent, this is confirmed in the novel Dead Duck. Flashes of the old Steed and certainly present in several of the later series.
Unfortunately, I don't know as much about The Avengers as you do. But....it's pretty clear from the clips that I have seen that Steed has a much more "combative" relationship with Cathy Gale than he does with Emma Peel - where he is simply more adoring. I mean he's actually quite sarcastic to Cathy Gale and quite edgy in her presence in a way that I don't remember him being with Mrs Peel - where he is simply more adoring. I think that's quite interesting....

The other point I wanted to make was this: In one of the sequences you used...Steed has a packet of chocolate biscuits. I quite liked that. I thought it was quite funny and a bit "low rent" for Steed - you know, to be on-screen wandering about holding a torn-open packet of chocolate biscuits...*laughs*... That, again, is probably not something you would see the "later" Steed do.

Steed: "Fancy a biscuit, Mrs Peel? They're chocolate..."

Emma: "Mmmm....."

Plus, yes, the visible tension and spontaneity in the acting and the interaction of the players (in the Cathy Gale era)....interesting that. It gives it a sort of "play-like" quality. Almost like being at the theatre. You can sort of almost see the adrenalin. I think that actually makes the performances quite exciting.
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

thesaintlyone wrote:Wonder if you can find the episode with the silencer scene.
That scene is from "The Medicine Men."
Allen
Philippa

Post by Philippa »

^I just watched that one last week. Great episode :D
thesaintlyone
Nutshell

Post by thesaintlyone »

Artanis, that was a challenge to DiVicenzo, lol.

Oliver Twist:

I agree on the love to hate relationship, however can't agree on the packet of chocolate biscuits, where did you see this?

Steed still has the finest things in life in the third series.
As a kid I loved the chiverally of John Steed, but now prefer the wicked side; his is afterall meant to be a dangerous agent and sorta am interested to see where this would have gone. The script is certainly much sharper and glad to see these episodes are no longer seen as the beginning, but as a fully developed shows themselves.

The great thing, yet confusing is the fact that in different episodes Cathy doesn't want to help Steed and on others she is happy to work as his agent. Especially in Death Dispatch where she is seen as completely his equal! Before she is cut down a peg, at the beginning of series 3. Me thinks an argument in her character, before Clemens made the bible.
Oliver Twist
Nutshell

Post by Oliver Twist »

thesaintlyone wrote:Oliver Twist:

I agree on the love to hate relationship, however can't agree on the packet of chocolate biscuits, where did you see this?

Steed still has the finest things in life in the third series.
As a kid I loved the chiverally of John Steed, but now prefer the wicked side; his is afterall meant to be a dangerous agent and sorta am interested to see where this would have gone. The script is certainly much sharper and glad to see these episodes are no longer seen as the beginning, but as a fully developed shows themselves.

The great thing, yet confusing is the fact that in different episodes Cathy doesn't want to help Steed and on others she is happy to work as his agent. Especially in Death Dispatch where she is seen as completely his equal! Before she is cut down a peg, at the beginning of series 3. Me thinks an argument in her character, before Clemens made the bible.
I've just watched it again - for the second time. You've done a really good job on it. And as somebody else has already pointed out, the picture quality is very high, too.

As for the biscuits....I mean the ones in the tin, at the beginning. For some reason I thought the tin looked like a packet of biscuits...*grins*...but they (the chocolate biscuits) are mentioned several more times during the course of your edit - with which I am very impressed.

A couple of interesting things I noticed:

At one point Steed is reading TinTin - Land of the Black Gold, by the looks of it. And Mrs Gale's top hat....it's a ladies riding hat, isn't it? It gives her a very striking "look" because (in black and white, in an interior scene, and seperated from the context of horse and riding stable)....it makes her look like an undertaker, or an undertaker's assistant. Very suggestive visual imagery they're using. Another thing I liked was the variety of strange or even bizarre characters that seemed to pop up during the course of it....

Unfortunately, I have never watched a single episode of the Cathy Gale era Avengers...but your edit has certainly made me curious about it. I liked the graphics, too. You know, the Mr John Steed and the Mrs Catherine Gale . And the way you picked up a line (or word) from the dialogue and rendered that into on-screen text, too. I take it that was your doing...?
thesaintlyone
Nutshell

Post by thesaintlyone »

Thanks, you really have looked at it closely.

Yep your right all the graphics, obviously lots of the cuts and some sound effects have been changed.

I always wanted to capture the dynamic, excitement and the quintessential Britishness of the show. I was fedup of the people who won't watch B/W videotape and wanted to show what they were missing. There are plently of good mixes/montages on the Peel era.

As I have previously mentioned I very nearly put "coming to soon to dvd" on it. You may have heard the mix Peel the Reel - Powermix 90's album or something that was some of the inspiration.

On the tin tin thing, Seed is seen with tin tin several times in the series I had hoped to put all the appearences on along with all his looks! Which I have to create a montage of one day!

You must see the third series, if you like the humour of the mix your like the series. Plus I have started to believe it is better in many respects.

The hat I never quite got, the idea about the funeral is good, shame she never wore it in the "The Undertakers" Ha now you have to see the series to see if i'm right!

How imature...
Artanis
Winged Avenger

Post by Artanis »

thesaintlyone wrote:Artanis, that was a challenge to DiVicenzo, lol.
I didn't know it was a challenge. Sorry, about giving the answer away.
Allen