Which is your favourite Brian Clemens Season 5 Episode?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

Which is your favourite Brian Clemens Season 5 Episode?

The Bird Who Knew Too Much
No votes
The Living Dead
2%
The Correct Way to Kill
27%
Epic
5%
The Superlative Seven
5%
The Joker
32%
Murdersville
29%

Total votes: 41

Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

The Correct Way To Kill (because I remember really liking the end and thinking it was very well done)
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

I think that is BC's typical egocentricism. Levene was a very funny man, as well as a talented writer. I own many of my father's original scripts and I'm sure Levene's were no different: Clemens' tinkering often added the absurd but rarely injected more humour.
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

Errrm, Murdersville. Purely for the scene where Mrs Peel has to stop herself from killng the doctor. The Superlative Seven is really only the other contender, it may eb a partial remake of Dressed to Kill but it manges to avoid being a total retread, the rest are total retreads or naff.
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Rodney wrote:Clemens is justifiably tagged as 'Mr Avengers' but after Season 4 the best episodes are rarely his. I prefer those of Williamson and Levene. Too many of Clemens' have an unpleasant feel to them where sadism replaces or undercuts surrealism.
He does, and I agree with you. But I have read that BC re-wrote Levene's episodes to inject some humour. I well remember an interview where BC said "Philip Levene was like Linda Thorson. He had no sense of humour"
I thought you had to have had a sense of humour to write Who's Who?? But then again maybe the placement of that peice of chewed up gum under Major Bee's desk wasn't Levene's idea.... hmm...
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

My father recalls Levene as a talented writer with a good sense of humour. The fact that he died so young means that he can't, unfortunately, defend himself from BC's comments but I think that his scripts offer an eloquent affirmation. Levene and Williamson have always been my favourite Avengers writers.
cyberrich
Site Admin

Post by cyberrich »

Rodney wrote:My father recalls Levene as a talented writer with a good sense of humour. The fact that he died so young means that he can't, unfortunately, defend himself from BC's comments but I think that his scripts offer an eloquent affirmation. Levene and Williamson have always been my favourite Avengers writers.
Surely you mean Roger Marshall is your favourite Rodney! Rich.
lostntime
Nutshell

Post by lostntime »

It's a toss-up for me between Joker and Murdersville. I chose Joker because of it's dark nature, Emma being stalked by the unseen Pendergast and the joker-card door and the whole air of villain with a criminally psychotic sense of humor. Then when Pendergast shows himself, he's made up facially with a striking resemblance to Conrad Veidt's Gwynplaine in the 1928 film The Man Who Laughs. Veidt's makeup in that film was later copied by Bob Kane in creating his more famous Joker. Emma could have easily been harassed by Kane's Joker. I suppose that's why I picked the Joker episode because the entire story could have easily meshed with Batman's arch nemesis' M.O.
malte1982
Nutshell

Post by malte1982 »

Defenetly "The Correct Way To Kill" the Best Avengers Episode of all Time.

1 The Correct Way To Kill
2 The Joker
3 Murdersville
ivanpledger
White Dwarf

Post by ivanpledger »

Its got to be 'The Joker'. I love the creepiness of it.
Sting