the ultimate episode?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

both are great episodes although the big plus point of Town is that there is plenty of exterior filming whereas Death is exclusively studio shot. I do like to see the show break out into the deserted country lanes or odd villages or abandoned military outposts.
malte1982
Nutshell

Post by malte1982 »

Death ay Bargain Prices or The Correct Way To Kill

Both Directed by Charles Crichton :wink:
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

The Hour that Never Was probably has the largest cult following, particularly outside the UK. It uses the outside locations as never before, relies on the Peel/Steed partnership to a unique extent and draws on the show's interest in the Cold War backdrop to create a chilling yet entertaining atmosphere.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

"Target" is indeed a very good TNA episode. I feel TNA had many excellent Avenger episodes; one of the all-time best episodes in the whole canon is "Dead Men Are Dangerous". In this episode, which is indeed Steed oriented (as well they ALL should be!), we see his loyalty and nobility from his early years on, and also his slight lack of morals when it came to bedding women. We saw his unstated love for his partner (this time, Purdey), not necessarily being IN love, but just his devotion and caring of her, his lack of grudge holding, his incredible luck--this episode has everything, including a great storyline.

"Medium Rare" is also a wonderful TNA episode, high-lighting many aspects of The Avengers, and wonderful wit; also "Angels of Death" is another TNA episode to show new fans. "Emily" is just pure unadulterated FUN. And does the Avengers get ANY better than "Forward Base"?

I always find these threads to be exceedingly difficult. I am a HUGE Steed fan, and a HUGE Avengers fan. I like almost all of the episodes, once we are past the Cathy ones, some of which are very good, and some of which are not. To pick out "the best" is always difficult and I do agree with the vast majority of what has already been discussed in the regular Avenger series.

Mona
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Dead Men Are Dangerous is a very powerful episode but lacks any sense of humour which means that it is not quite Avengerish enough for me.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Mandrake, The Murder Market, Death at Bargain Prices, The Hour that Never Was, Stay Tuned, All Done With Mirrors, The Eagle's Nest all have the right blend of humour and drama to be cult Avengers episodes. Not too silly but adding a surreal touch to the tension and humour.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Hello, Rodney,

Humor is always welcomed, true, but when the moment gets serious that is some of the best times by far for me during the episode and especially in understanding the complicated man and complex life of John Steed. Wit is great, but it passes by quickly and we move on. It is superficial fun--fully enjoyable and desired, absolutely, and a delight to hear again and again.

However, seeing serious moments whereby we can learn more about our characters and take them to deeper levels make the show much more profound for me. The more we watch Steed over the years, and see him evolve as a man and character, the more there is to appreciate about his personality on many different levels. So, "Dead Men" is definitely an amazingly excellent Avengers show to me.

I think forums like this are always so interesting as we see how such a top notch show like the Avengers appeals to so many in so many different ways. Me, I watch for Steed. Others for other characters and others for the style and production/writing of the show. I always find this aspect of fandom so fascinating, what resonates about the show in each person.

Mona
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

I was listening to Laurie Johnson's Avengers incidental music in the car whilst driving to work today, and the lightweight "jaunty" themes like the "Dead Man's Treasure Hunt" chase music really contrasted with the more sinister, tense and dramatic stuff. During the latter, I relived just how scary and in jeopardy it felt as a youngster watching The Avengers for the first time, and really wondering if one of our heroes was going to get badly hurt or killed (or captured and taunted by a diabolical mastermind - nearly as bad!). It's an amazing show that can go from cartoonish frolics one moment to serious threat the next. A unique mixture really.
Last edited by Frankymole on Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Absolutely...and when that bizarre mix is bottled inside a single episode that is when the show hits its greatest heights, as in Death at Bargain Prices, Dial a Deadly Number, The Murder Market etc. Episodes which frighten us but also make us smile.
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I sometimes regret that I have not watched the Avengers when I was younger, just like The Saint it's a thrilling show and classy kind of fantasy that really leaves a special imprint on you when your young.
It probably is this seamless combination of the different genres and elements within each episode that makes it so memorable.