Look (Stop Me...): love it or hate it

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.

Love it, hate it or indifferent to it?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:59 pm

Love it
46%
Hate it
19%
Indifferent
35%

Total votes: 26

darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

JohnSteedFr wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Sam wrote:The only thing that makes me watch this episode once in a while is seeing Tara with long hair! I think it was a great look for her and wished she would've done it more often.
Agreed. Linda looked better with long hair.
She's wearing the same wig on a picture, propably used for a promo.
And this picture is one of my favourites with Linda ! :D
She's definitely much more feminine with that wig, she seems young, sweet, and terribly attractive. :) She embodies the Sixties ! :D
Yeah, I love this picture - as displayed here in a wallpaper from the Avengers Forever.

frank
Winged Avenger

Post by frank »

Personally I loved this episode the very first time I saw it. I understand why people are put off by the extremeness. But it was the absurditiy and extreme-ness that I enjoyed. I loved everytime the crocodile said a line. Plus the use of the practical jokes to kill the victims nicely underscores the unpleasantness of such pranks.

BUt for me what's most striking is that this episode is most like an Emma Peel structurally than any other Tara story. The interactions Steed has with her during their investigation. The humorous interplay and discussions of the case. The fact Tara's given more of an equal footing in intellectually. When Steed comes to rescue her they are very matter of fact and bordering on flippant. We don't get the emotional fawning and worrying that would come in later episodes. And they fight the bad guys together in a big stand-off.
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

There's also the beginning in the office at Cupid, when they both discuss about the murder, it reminds me of some plots with Steed and Emma, when they were enquiring on the scene of the crime. :D
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Image[/quote]

I'm in love with it ! :lol: :D
I still have it, among other Avengers Pics.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

JohnSteedFr wrote:There's also the beginning in the office at Cupid, when they both discuss about the murder, it reminds me of some plots with Steed and Emma, when they were enquiring on the scene of the crime. :D
Wasn't this originally written an Emma Peel episode?
Last edited by Dandy Forsdyke on Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

It was if I remember. :)
Oh my god, that's strange 'cause when I was writing my previous message, I wasn't thinking of that at all.
Now you said it... :lol:
malte1982
Nutshell

Post by malte1982 »

4/5 Points

I Love it, but its not a masterpiece. Great sense of humor and lovely ideas, like the "Clown Eggs".
Also John Cleese performance is great.
Vorvon
White Dwarf

Post by Vorvon »

frank wrote:Personally I loved this episode the very first time I saw it. I understand why people are put off by the extremeness. But it was the absurditiy and extreme-ness that I enjoyed. I loved everytime the crocodile said a line. Plus the use of the practical jokes to kill the victims nicely underscores the unpleasantness of such pranks.

BUt for me what's most striking is that this episode is most like an Emma Peel structurally than any other Tara story. The interactions Steed has with her during their investigation. The humorous interplay and discussions of the case. The fact Tara's given more of an equal footing in intellectually. When Steed comes to rescue her they are very matter of fact and bordering on flippant. We don't get the emotional fawning and worrying that would come in later episodes. And they fight the bad guys together in a big stand-off.
Agreed. This wouldn't be out of place in the Peel Era at all. A bit goofy, yes, but the Avengers works on that line of insane cartoon humor and dead earnest seriousness. We are talking about a show that, just beforehand, dealt with shrinking people and a glorified toybuzzer that would zap people Wile E. Coyote style.

Plus the Steed/Tara relationship is one even footing, which should have been done from the start. I never cared for the fawning that much, and Tara was good when she was doing her own thing instead of being too much the amateur.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

frank wrote:Personally I loved this episode the very first time I saw it. I understand why people are put off by the extremeness. But it was the absurditiy and extreme-ness that I enjoyed. I loved everytime the crocodile said a line. Plus the use of the practical jokes to kill the victims nicely underscores the unpleasantness of such pranks.

Good points. I, too, especially like the scene where Steed rescues Tara, who has a gag in her mouth. Her comment when Steed removes it? "No gags!". Pure Emma Peel-like response. There should have been more moments like this.

I think this is one of the best of Season 6. There's something very disturbing about clowns anyway. They're supposed to make us laugh but are really quite scary, with that freakish makeup. Plus it is the perfect disguise for criminal activity.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

malte1982 wrote:Great sense of humor and lovely ideas, like the "Clown Eggs".
Also John Cleese performance is great.
If he was so petrified of the eggs breaking, why didn't he just hard boil them before painting on the clown's face?