THE STRANGE CASE OF THE MISSING CORPSE

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Regional veriations used to drive me mad as a kid. In the TV Times listings there used to be a small box listing the programmes in other regions. It used to infuriate me when The Avengers or another favourite was shown anywhere else but my own area.

I don't know if this still the case today. I tend to think that these days - local news apart - that each region has fairly standard programming.
I lived in the Thames/LWT ITV region and that's all we got, but somehow, some school friends were able to get Southern ITV on their sets. Southern showed TNA on a different night from London. If I missed an episode of TNA (there was no such thing as a video recorder!) I'd go round to theirs to watch it the next night! But somehow, I still ended up missing a couple of the episodes. They were first repeated in the London area late at night in 1980/81 and then again in 1985/86, by which time the awful film montage titles had been added on some episodes and I was able to record them.

Although the BBC run of TNA was the first true network broadcast of TA in any form, I think it's fair to say that they were broadcast across the ITV network in their original runs, just not necessarily simultaneously, which is as good as a network showing really. It's interesting that the Channel 4 run of the Peel/King episodes in 82-84 weren't shown nationally. I always assumed C4 was one network, but it makes sense that SC4 was separate.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I remember the days when you had tune the TV station to change channel from one large knob on the TV set. So there were times, if you had a strong signal from another transmitter, you could watch, say, Granada Manchester programming in ATV Midlands area and so on.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:one large knob on the TV set.
Are we still talking about that German interviewer? :D
Last watched: "Concerto"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I knew if I typed 'knob' it would arouse someone ... :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
lostntime
Nutshell

Post by lostntime »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I knew if I typed 'knob' it would arouse someone ... :wink:
kinky (boots) :lol:
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

An old question has long bothered me - whether James Hill really directed this episode, or is it still as hypothesis? :?

I know Mike pointed James Hill in his book, that probably should be as confirmation, but in this case I wonder the source of information. Please.
Denis
dissolute
The Ministry

Post by dissolute »

I would bet on Don Leaver as he was on hand for Honey for the Prince and it was filmed at the same time and on the same sets.
Mrs Peel, you're needed!
http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avengers-tv-series/
Every episode from 1961 to 1977 plus more trivia than you can shake a brolly at.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

I always thought in the same direction, Piers. :wink: Really interesting, why there was mentions James Hill and whether there is confirmation for it? :wink:
Denis
MikeR
The Big Thinker

Post by MikeR »

The information that James Hill directed The Strange Case of the Missing Corpse came form Dave Rogers, who wrote a number of books about the series during the eighties and nineties. I used to talk with Dave on the telephone quite a bit at one time and he attended the first two Treasure Hunt events. Eventually, he gave up writing and went to live in Turkey, initially to assist his son run a bar/nightclub in Istanbul.
denis rigg
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by denis rigg »

Thanks, Mike. I think, it is likely that Dave surely knew about it, as in his book The Ultimate Avengers contains many James Hill's quotes (part of the material that I have not read anywhere else).
Denis