Dame Joanna Lumley? - Press Speculation

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Whiskers
Winged Avenger

Post by Whiskers »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Brendan Jones wrote:
Ah yes, but you have to remember: Simon is a respected and brilliant actor of stage, screen and tube.

Brendan, you're 'avin' a larf! :lol: The man who brought us Eoghan Quinn and Zig and Zag?? :shock:

More here http://bit.ly/c6GH7q
Or, my first thought cos I've done it myself, he's mixed him up with Simon Callow.
Last watched : Intercrime
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

Whiskers wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Brendan Jones wrote:
Ah yes, but you have to remember: Simon is a respected and brilliant actor of stage, screen and tube.

Brendan, you're 'avin' a larf! :lol: The man who brought us Eoghan Quinn and Zig and Zag?? :shock:

More here http://bit.ly/c6GH7q
Or, my first thought cos I've done it myself, he's mixed him up with Simon Callow.
Ah. Quite. Sorry Dandy.

Meanwhile- COWELL? Down with this sort of thing!
welshjohnny
White Dwarf

Working with Joanna and her damehood announcement

Post by welshjohnny »

I actually worked with Joanna last Monday on 'Mistresses' in Bristol.

I should explain, I'm a scriptwriter with a sideline in small parts (well, it gets me out of the office... ; ).
Last week I did two days on the show as a ***** at a ******l. NO SPOILERS HERE!!!
On the second day, I was told to stand on the stairs and be chatty with a lady who's just arrived at the *****- you guessed it; JOANNA!
..and she's exactly as you'd imagine her: gorgeous, professional, charming, all that.

Later that day a crew member was reading the Sun (someone has to) and there was a big piece on her being given a knighthood. Sadly we were all too shy to ask her about it. Although later I did see her pick up the paper with a big smile...

BTW: the production had been having problems with a neighbour: they were complaining about parking and all that; bascially they just wanted to screw some money out of the show.
They were outside the front gate complaining as usual when Joanna drew up in the production limo. She got out, gave everyone - including the extortionist - a huge smile - and that was that. Not a further word from the person.. :D :D :D
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

What a great story. Tell us more, when you're able to.

Looking forward to Mistresses. The Mrs and me watched the first series, but missed a lot of the 2nd, so hopefully we can catch up.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Frustrated that for the second year running the British press have got their info wrong and Joanna didn't get a Damehood. That will treach me to believe the newspapers!

As Phillipa said we are probably more disappointed than she is.

Interesting that in 2002 Honor Blackman turned down a CBE (services to drama).
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Thread title amended. Unfortunately.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Frustrated that for the second year running the British press have got their info wrong and Joanna didn't get a Damehood. That will treach me to believe the newspapers!

It looks like spite on behalf of Woolas and G. Brown. After all, it was up to the latter to do the honours list for this time round. He absolutely hates being proved wrong, it's a well-publicised character flaw. Joanna will laugh it off with her usual good grace. Chance for Cameron to look like the bigger man!
Last watched: "Concerto"
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Frustrated that for the second year running the British press have got their info wrong and Joanna didn't get a Damehood. That will treach me to believe the newspapers!

Yes, I'd heard about Honor turning down hers. I don't know what her reason was, but at least she was offered something.

I suspect Joanna's perfectly fine with it as well--I don't think she's the type to worry about this sort of thing. It seems unfair, but life goes on. At least we have Brian Clemens' as a consolation prize. :)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Yes, I'd heard about Honor turning down hers. I don't know what her reason was, but at least she was offered something.

I suspect Joanna's perfectly fine with it as well--I don't think she's the type to worry about this sort of thing. It seems unfair, but life goes on. At least we have Brian Clemens' as a consolation prize. :)
Yeah, Joanna doesn't strike me as someone who would be bothered by a slight like this. It does seem like a slap in the face though.
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

kim wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Yeah, Joanna doesn't strike me as someone who would be bothered by a slight like this. It does seem like a slap in the face though.
It does seem hard to swallow after all her activism this past year (and so many years before that). I can't see her never getting a Damehood, but you would think she'd get it sooner rather than later, wouldn't you?
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14