The Forget-Me-Knot

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Frankymole wrote: Maybe because Emma is more "manly" and less "girly" in her traits.

Tara was more girly but I don't think that compromises Emma's femininity. Emma was just a grown up self-assured and assertive woman, as was Cathy.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Johnny O
Winged Avenger

Post by Johnny O »

Allard wrote:Whether ageism is comparable to racism is an interesting discussion but this is not the place for it. Please let´s keep it nice, feel free to discuss the Avengers in all it´s facets but heated personal discussion are not desirable. Please cooperate in keeping this forum a nice place and so no public rows!

Continue the discussion on the Avengers or I will have to lock the topic.
Indeed this forum should be kept nice. Hence my expectation of an apology.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I wonder if any further discussion could be done in private corresponance. It would be a shame if the mods decided to lock a thread.

Back to The Avengers. I wonder how long the car journey Emma and P. Peel lasted before she realised she'd made a horrible mistake?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Her wistful smile from the car suggests that she was already having second thoughts.
Kitty_Golightly
White Dwarf

Post by Kitty_Golightly »

When she sit the car, she already understood her mistake, I think :)
lostntime
Nutshell

Post by lostntime »

Rodney wrote:Her wistful smile from the car suggests that she was already having second thoughts.
After multiple viewings of the farewell scene in Steed's flat, Diana's demeanor seems very hesitant. Of course I don't know if she was directed to play it as such or not, but she definitely give the impression she wants to get it over with before she changes her mind.

Fast forward to K Is For Kill, specifically the scene of Steed's second phone conversation with the disembodied Emma when she reminds Steed that she doesn't use the name Peel anymore. A name change for security purposes or had Emma and Peter "split the sheets" in the writers' minds?
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

The way she looked back when Steed says, "Emma ... ?" seems to be one of 'Are you going to ask me to stay/declare your love' and Steed looks like he may well say either of these things.

Instead, he pauses and says, " ... thanks." Knowing he has no right to come between her and her husband.

She accepts this and tootles off. I would have liked her to show some disappointment, but it's perfect as it is.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Rodney wrote:Her wistful smile from the car suggests that she was already having second thoughts.
Perhaps she was thinking in the mode of Jopey Tribbiani from "Friends": "Two words... threesome!".
Last watched: "Concerto"
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Johnny O wrote:
Frankymole wrote:
Johnny O wrote: No, it's not that story. It's in season 1. Steed says he'll drive Purdey home, but she refuses and insists on coming in for a nightcap. From my hazy recollection, she insinuates - or even states blatantly - that she is planning on spending the night. It's really unbelievable.

And it's nothing to do with ageism at all. There's just something creepy about the way Tara and Purdey flirt with Steed. And thinking Steed would shag either of them is just something I don't want to consider. The other Steed girlfriends we encounter in TNA are all considerably older than Purdey.
If the only reason you find it "creepy" is because of the larger age gap, then it's definitely ageist. Same as if you had found a black person and a white person shagging repugnant, would be racist.

At least with Tara and Purdey, they're peers, work colleagues and intellectual equals, near enough. If a woman over 21 fancies a man over 21, it's not a problem, they're both adults and it makes the world go round, as Patrick Macnee often pointed out, "vive la difference"!

Wasn't there a 17 year age gap between Steed and Emma (or at least the actors)! Literally "old enough to be her father", but no-one minds. Maybe because Emma is more "manly" and less "girly" in her traits.
How dare you. I find the idea of Steed and Tara or Purdey having sex creepy because I think they are extremely ill suited and they had a working relationship. I wrote that it has nothing to do with ageism. And I meant that. I also do mind that Steed and Emma were potential bedfellows. So that is not "no-one minds" because I mind. As for bringing in some racist slur, I think you need to think very carefully about what you are posting. I expect an apology at the very least.
I've only just seen this, and I apologise unreservedly for offending you. No offense was meant, which is why I said "IF the only reason you find it 'creepy' is because of the larger age gap, then it's definitely ageist". You have clarified that the age difference does not in any way make you feel uncomfortable, so that's fine! It makes me feel sick when people (not you, obviously) rant on about the age difference as if it is somehow disgusting. It isn't. A couple in love is beautiful whatever their physical differences, as long as they're both the same side of the age of consent!
Last edited by Frankymole on Sat May 22, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Mrs. Peel
Little Wonder

Post by Mrs. Peel »

Frankymole wrote:
Johnny O wrote:
Frankymole wrote:If the only reason you find it "creepy" is because of the larger age gap, then it's definitely ageist. Same as if you had found a black person and a white person shagging repugnant, would be racist.

At least with Tara and Purdey, they're peers, work colleagues and intellectual equals, near enough. If a woman over 21 fancies a man over 21, it's not a problem, they're both adults and it makes the world go round, as Patrick Macnee often pointed out, "vive la difference"!

Wasn't there a 17 year age gap between Steed and Emma (or at least the actors)! Literally "old enough to be her father", but no-one minds. Maybe because Emma is more "manly" and less "girly" in her traits.
How dare you. I find the idea of Steed and Tara or Purdey having sex creepy because I think they are extremely ill suited and they had a working relationship. I wrote that it has nothing to do with ageism. And I meant that. I also do mind that Steed and Emma were potential bedfellows. So that is not "no-one minds" because I mind. As for bringing in some racist slur, I think you need to think very carefully about what you are posting. I expect an apology at the very least.
I've only just seen this, and I apologise unreservedly for offending you. No offense was meant, which is why I said "IF the only reason you find it 'creepy' is because of the larger age gap, then it's definitely ageist". You have clarified that the age difference doesn not in any way make you feel uncomfortable, so that's fine! It makes me feel sick when people (not you, obviously) rant on about the age difference as if it is somehow disgusting. It isn't. A couple in love is beautiful whatever their physical differences, as long as they're both the same side of the age of consent!

I believe everybody thinks different about this things, but I have to agree with Frankymole, it doesn't matter how old you are and how big the age difference is. It's just important that you love each other.

well, I think that Steed really loves Emma, but for her it could be an adventure - or perhaps she soon realise that it has been a mistake leaving Steed...
Always keep your bowler on in times of stress!
Hoity-Toity!

http://theavengersrevisited.blogspot.com