Who's Steed's best not oficial partner

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote: I honestly didn't know she had the role but didn't take it. I often wonder what Brian Clemens means about her being 'too English'. I wonder if he means he acting is too eccentric, or as someone else has suggested 'camp'.

Also have to agree with Barry that doing her own stunts would have been a lot to ask. There was no option for a stunt person in the video-era, so I suspect they would have made a Fenella-Cathy Gale a more traditional female side kick.
They offered it both to her and Nyree Dawn Porter. They both turned it down due to other commitments. As they had it down to three, that left Honor, who pretty much got it by default, even though the casting director had been expressly instructed not to get her. Worked out in the end, though, didn't it?

I know they offered it to Nyree Dawn Porter. It was also suggested by Marie Donaldson (the originator of M Appeal) they cast her after Honor left and Sidney Newman wanted "anyone but" Honor, but I didn't know Fenella was actually offered the part at all. Can you direct me to where you read this? I'm not saying you're mistaken, I'd just like to read it myself.

The casting of the show and the 'what if's also fascinate me. I've googled the auditionees lots of times. I would still like to know who nearly got Joanna's part in TNA, but Brian Clemens found out she had a dreadful laugh.
I don't recall where I read it now--I've read so many Avengers things I can't keep them all straight in my head. I know I read it fairly early into my interest in the series, though. Possibly in one of the series guides. All I know is that they had it down to the three--Honor, Fenella, and Nyree--and both Nyree and Fenella couldn't take it on because of other commitments, the implication being that it was offered to both of them and they had to turn it down. We all know the old story that Sydney Newman didn't want Honor because of her history of playing submissive, sweet English Rose types, and that when he went on vacation he left express instructions to get "anyone but Honor." So presumably they would have had to offer it to both women, and both would have to turn it down, to end up with Honor. The only thing I don't know is which of the two was the favourite--Fenella or Nyree. I don't know which one got offered it first.

It is fun ruminating on the possibilities. Presumably you've already seen this:

http://home.scarlet.be/~pvandew1/avenge ... rekers.htm

There's always a bit of an inconsistency in terms of the TNA casting, because Brian Clemens makes out that he knew he wanted Gareth and Joanna right from the get-go because he'd seen them in Upstairs, Downstairs and The Abominable Dr. Phibes, respectively, and that he only went through the whole auditioning process because a) he wanted to convince Albert Fennell/Laurie Johnson/Mary Selway that he was right by letting them see who else was out there for themselves, and b) looking for a new Avengers girl was great publicity. This tends to add up because Selway wasn't too keen on Joanna: "We can't have gone through hundreds of girls just to end up with bloody Joanna Lumley!" On the flip side, Joanna says she had to beg for an audition (although she's since admitted she's exaggerated the story and it's more fiction than fact), and both Gareth and Joanna were convinced they didn't have a hope in hell of being cast (although that might have something to do with the whole table-breaking incident). Even the fact that they paired Gareth and Joanna up to be screentested is a bit suspicious--it was supposedly random, but really? So when everything seems to indicate that Clemens wanted Joanna, it seems a bit odd that he was so interested in someone else for the role. I don't know how close the "awful laugh" girl was to being cast. But one would assume it was one of the girls who got to the screentesting stage, which were:

Ann Zelda, Joanna, Cassandra Harris, Diana Quick, and Gabrielle Drake.

Interestingly, only three men were screentested: Gareth, Lewis Collins, and Harry Meacher, which makes me think they must have doubled up the testing, although Gareth never made any mention of that. He did say Patrick Mower was in with a good chance, but Mower was never short-listed.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Timeless A-Peel wrote: It is fun ruminating on the possibilities. Presumably you've already seen this:

http://home.scarlet.be/~pvandew1/avenge ... rekers.htm
I have, but I'd forgotten it and it was good to see it again. Some of the thumbnails are a bit misleading, as some seem to go back as far as the 1950's (Mary Peach, Shirley Eaton, etc) and some look too old due to the being too recent. Harry Meacher looks particulary scary and poor Jane Merrow's looks like it's from a silent movie! The one of Valerie Van Ost is super-smashing-great though. :wink:
Timeless A-Peel wrote: I don't know how close the "awful laugh" girl was to being cast. But one would assume it was one of the girls who got to the screentesting stage, which were:

I've always fancied it was Trudi Van Doorn. The one with the teeth. Wasn't she in an early TNA episode?
Timeless A-Peel wrote: Interestingly, only three men were screentested: Gareth, Lewis Collins, and Harry Meacher, which makes me think they must have doubled up the testing, although Gareth never made any mention of that. He did say Patrick Mower was in with a good chance, but Mower was never short-listed.
Patrick Mower is still in Emmerdale. He actually shared some scene with Linda Thorson when she was in it and I thought that he resembled Patrick now he's older. I always get the impression he's not very tall - at least not against someone of Joanna's stature. I should have noted how he stood next to Linda - who's the tallest of all of them Avenger girls!
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote: I don't know how close the "awful laugh" girl was to being cast. But one would assume it was one of the girls who got to the screentesting stage, which were:

I've always fancied it was Trudi Van Doorn. The one with the teeth. Wasn't she in an early TNA episode?
Could well have been. Trudi was short-listed, and she popped up in The Eagle's Nest as the German girl who keeps insisting on Gambit's German blood. She does laugh a little, but it doesn't sound too terrible. Such a pity she killed herself. :cry:

JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

Ah ! The german Girl who keeps asking Gambit if he's got some german blood ! :lol:
The end of the scene is great when she says she was sure he had some roots. :D
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

JohnSteedFr wrote:Ah ! The german Girl who keeps asking Gambit if he's got some german blood ! :lol:
The end of the scene is great when she says she was sure he had some roots. :D
Gambit got his the hard way, though--being shot three times and getting a transfusion. I just got mine from one branch of the family. :wink:

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:

Could well have been. Trudi was short-listed, and she popped up in The Eagle's Nest as the German girl who keeps insisting on Gambit's German blood. She does laugh a little, but it doesn't sound too terrible. Such a pity she killed herself. :cry:
That's the one. I do remember reading that she'd taken her own life now. What a waste. :(
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
malte1982
Nutshell

Post by malte1982 »

Lady Diana Forbes-Blakeney
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

malte1982 wrote:Lady Diana Forbes-Blakeney
Technically she was an "official" partner since Mother did assign her to work with Steed, albeit for only one mission.
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

Honorable mention for Roy Kinnear in 'Esprit de Corps'.
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha
bramford
Thingumajig

Post by bramford »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:All of the above mentioned. I especially liked Anna Quayle as Olga. Quayle was also very memorable in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Smashing Time made around the same time.
Loved Smashing Time!

Lady Diana Forbes-Blakeney (Killer), Susan Rushton (Mission... Highly Improbable), Miranda Loxton (Requiem), Penelope Plain (Dead Man's Treasure).