A Star for Patrick

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

A Star for Patrick

Post by oneknightsteed »

In order not to continue to infringe on anothers topic, I will start a new one. The subject involves the lack of a major recognition of Patrick Macnee's achievments and contributions throughout his career. Many have mentioned disappointment that he has not recieved an award via BAFTA or the OBE. This is put down to the fact that he is a legalized American Citizen. As for the USA, a good number of people still perceive him as the quintessential English gentleman and, therefore, he's a Brit! Regardless of his citizenship, his role as John Steed in 'The Avengers' stands as one of the greatest characters in television history. He is a pop culture icon.
I would like to nominate him for a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame. To even get off the ground, I would need his agreement. If and until I can obtain this, I would like to hear others opinions, ideas and general thoughts on the matter.
Yes there is a fee of 25,000 US dollars. However, this is to pay for the star if he is selected by the committee. In the mean time, any nomination at this point would be for selection in 2011. If he is lucky enough to be selected the first go round, the nominee has up to five years to commit. Considering Pats extensive fan base (worldwide) as well as friends and associates that I'm sure could be enticed to contribute, I see no trouble attaining the afore mentioned fee.
What say ye?
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha
Col Mustard
Nutshell

Star for Patrick

Post by Col Mustard »

I am certainly in favor. I think he has garnered too few awards for his contributions.
"What fresh hell is this?" D. Parker
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: A Star for Patrick

Post by mousemeat »

oneknightsteed wrote:In order not to continue to infringe on anothers topic, I will start a new one. The subject involves the lack of a major recognition of Patrick Macnee's achievments and contributions throughout his career. Many have mentioned disappointment that he has not recieved an award via BAFTA or the OBE. This is put down to the fact that he is a legalized American Citizen. As for the USA, a good number of people still perceive him as the quintessential English gentleman and, therefore, he's a Brit! Regardless of his citizenship, his role as John Steed in 'The Avengers' stands as one of the greatest characters in television history. He is a pop culture icon.
I would like to nominate him for a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame. To even get off the ground, I would need his agreement. If and until I can obtain this, I would like to hear others opinions, ideas and general thoughts on the matter.
Yes there is a fee of 25,000 US dollars. However, this is to pay for the star if he is selected by the committee. In the mean time, any nomination at this point would be for selection in 2011. If he is lucky enough to be selected the first go round, the nominee has up to five years to commit. Considering Pats extensive fan base (worldwide) as well as friends and associates that I'm sure could be enticed to contribute, I see no trouble attaining the afore mentioned fee.
What say ye?
would be great, and an major nod to his talents-over the years...

however, what are his chances of receiving such an nod ?
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Re: A Star for Patrick

Post by oneknightsteed »

mousemeat wrote: would be great, and an major nod to his talents-over the years...

however, what are his chances of receiving such an nod ?
I admit, it won't be easy. But, I've seen the names of some people who actually have a star and they are no where near as famous, nor have the extensive profile he has compiled. You never know until you try!
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha
next thursday
Little Wonder

Post by next thursday »

oh gosh, yes. I'd contribute. I have enjoyed nearly all his roles over the years. And his books are a delight.
I didn't sell out. I bought in.

I made you a Soul but I ate it.

Science isn't a Belief, it's Understanding.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfuso/
http://blogs.delphiforums.com/alfuso/start
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

next thursday wrote:oh gosh, yes. I'd contribute. I have enjoyed nearly all his roles over the years. And his books are a delight.
Thanks for your support! Another Pat enthusiast is contacting Rupert. If we get Pats approval then I start the nomination process. Money won't be an issue until after he is selected.
-buddha
JohnSteedFr
Epic

Post by JohnSteedFr »

I follow you too guys !

Patrick made a real phenomenon in America with the Avengers, which was the first British program to be scheduled and showed in Primetime.
He's a legend as John Steed, he also achieved (not in vain) various productions even though it failed sometimes. Patrick is the best 'British Element' in the US, so stylish and deserves to have his own star on the 'Walk of Fame' in LA. Also, another reason why he's got to be rewarded : he moved to America in the 50s so it was a while ago, so he must know the American system nowadays. :lol: Quite logicial. Still mysterious why they never came to the idea of giving Patrick something special for his performance on the Avengers... :shock:
Anyway, I join your 'A Star for Pat' group ! :D

But about 'money', I'm afraid that I cannot help a lot. I hope that you'll be sympathetic. I would do something if I had the sufficient means but I suppose that helping Pat in such a situation reveals not to be 'cheap business' but rather expensive. :(
I've been blessed by The Avengers!
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

JohnSteedFr wrote:I follow you too guys !

Patrick made a real phenomenon in America with the Avengers, which was the first British program to be scheduled and showed in Primetime.
He's a legend as John Steed, he also achieved (not in vain) various productions even though it failed sometimes. Patrick is the best 'British Element' in the US, so stylish and deserves to have his own star on the 'Walk of Fame' in LA. Also, another reason why he's got to be rewarded : he moved to America in the 50s so it was a while ago, so he must know the American system nowadays. :lol: Quite logicial. Still mysterious why they never came to the idea of giving Patrick something special for his performance on the Avengers... :shock:
Anyway, I join your 'A Star for Pat' group ! :D

But about 'money', I'm afraid that I cannot help a lot. I hope that you'll be sympathetic. I would do something if I had the sufficient means but I suppose that helping Pat in such a situation reveals not to be 'cheap business' but rather expensive. :(
Thanks for your input, JohnSteedFr! I may have to use your "best 'British Element'" phrase in my letter to the committee!
As for contributing, first and foremost, simply showing your support in posts like this aids my spirit as I work towards my goal.
Secondly, I am "po' but proud"! When the time comes to start funding this project, know that I will be seeking out as many big name sources as I can find! As for folks like us, realize that there are a legion of Macnee/Steed/Avengers fans. If everyone just gave a dollar that would be a signifcant sum! Keep the faith, babe!
Sue
-buddha
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

I like the initiative, please keep all of us up to date on the forum!
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

Sue, I think it's a brilliant idea and long overdue! Count me in! :wink:
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time