Stephen Fry likes The Avengers

Discuss the people who wrote, produced, directed, acted or did anything else in The Avengers!
Allard
The Ministry

Stephen Fry likes The Avengers

Post by Allard »

No, this fact does not come from Twitter, but form a lecture he gave and which is reported in the Daily Telegraph. He calls The Avengers part of an golden age. Makes sense, he is often praised for his intelligence. :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... n-Fry.html

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

His comments on Doctor Who will go down badly ...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Re: Stephen Fry likes The Avengers

Post by Cariheart »

Allard wrote:No, this fact does not come from Twitter, but form a lecture he gave and which is reported in the Daily Telegraph. He calls The Avengers part of an golden age. Makes sense, he is often praised for his intelligence. :lol:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... n-Fry.html

Well, reading the bit about growing up with enjoyable shows like The Avengers makes me smile as I did the same. Fry is a man of discerning taste! He's not really knocking Dr. Who though, he's just referring to it as a show for the younger more playful audience- that would be children and ME! Haha! Thanks for the article! :D
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:His comments on Doctor Who will go down badly ...
He can't dislike it too much since he was keen to work on it... plus he's been interviewed in the DW magazine praising it.
Last watched: "Concerto"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Frankymole wrote:
He can't dislike it too much since he was keen to work on it... plus he's been interviewed in the DW magazine praising it.

He compliments it in fact, but he also says it is a "children's programme" and "not for adults". That won't please many Who-fans.

Of course SF took an affectionate swipe at the Avengers on A Bit Of Fry And Laurie

Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ4aBkKKWl4
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Frankymole wrote:

He compliments it in fact, but he also says it is a "children's programme" and "not for adults". That won't please many Who-fans.

Of course SF took an affectionate swipe at the Avengers on A Bit Of Fry And Laurie

Vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ4aBkKKWl4
look at it-this way...opinions are like rear ends....everyone has one !

being famous, does not allow you to spew out 'golden nuggets' of wisdon..
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Well, I tend to agree with the basics of what he's saying. TV is catering too much to what they think the public wants. There are too many TV channels, many screaming 'Watch me - this is outrageous!' The BBC are guilty of this too - BBC3 is often unwatchable.

I just think it was unwise to target Merlin and Doctor Who. Especially as these programmes are the very "nation's fireplace" he seems to be saying he wants more of.

It gets more confusing when I was reminded - reading another forum - that Stephen Fry has submitted a script to .... Doctor Who.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

I don't think that Doctor Who and Merlin were amongst those Fry sees as oversimplified. What he's saying is that they are occupying spaces for adult drama, which we need to see filled by more adult programmes.

I would like to hear Fry's comments on Torchwood (especially Series 3) and The Sarah Jane Adventures and their representations of adult and children's drama respectively.

The fact is, Doctor Who on TV has never been an adult drama, and I think Fry is just protesting that it is being placed in as such. It's family drama, and has always presented itself as such.

Well, maybe not 1984-85, but there you go. ;)
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Torchwood doesn't seem very adult to me. More "adolescent". Though I hear it has improved since the tedious first series.
Dandy Forsdyke wrote: He compliments it in fact, but he also says it is a "children's programme" and "not for adults". That won't please many Who-fans.
It's well-known to be a family programme - for "children of all ages". As a wise man once said, "a little nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men" :)
Last watched: "Concerto"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Stephen Moffet responds thus.
... speaking after BAFTA's exclusive screening of new Who episode The Pandorica Opens, Moffat laughed off the comments.

"Doctor Who's not for adults? I can count some here!" he quipped. "Let's be fair, Stephen Fry's one of the biggest Doctor Who fans in the world, he was just trying to sound grown up.

"Doctor Who was designed specifically to be a family programme. That's what it's for. It's the junction between the children's programmes and the adults' programmes. It's the one that everybody sits and watches."

He added: "It's a rather brilliant idea. Why don't they make a television programme that everybody wants to watch? We should do that more often. It surprised me that it took me until I was 47 to be working on a show like that.

"The comparison with chicken nuggets? This is very, very high-end, very, very high-quality show. It has absolutely no comparison with junk food at all and Stephen knows it. That's Twitter he's thinking about! Stephen loves Doctor Who so don't worry about it."
No sonic screwdrivers at dawn then ... 8)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY