Favourite Lines

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

It mostly the delivery of the lines as much as the lines themselves but there's an exchange in Legacy of Death between Steed and Sidney Street. Street is trying to trick Steed about the knife by stringing together a sob story about his youth and being given the knife by his favourite grandmother or something. He says about picking up the knife, his blonde locks of hair streaming in the wind and.. Steed completes the sentence totally seriously and deadpan "He stabs her". The build is brilliant but Macnee delivers the punchline in a way that never fails to crack me up.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Favourite Lines

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Sometimes lines from The Avengers rattle round my brain likes songs lyrics. What are your favourites - popular or obscure?

Here are a few of mine from The Town Of No Return

"The milk ... is in the kitchen"
"I could take it black ...?"

"That was very very dirty"

Welcome to the jolly old Gremlin. Well what'll it be? A jar or two of the jolly old splosh, wot?

... and the quote of the series, in my opinion.
"I asked the chief predator where to find you and he said, 'Our Mrs. Peel is in ladies' underwear'. I rattled up the stairs three at a time".
"Merry quips department on the fifth floor, sir!"
- Death At Bargain Prices

always loved the conversation and lines, that Steed and Mrs.Peel had at the conclusion of 'EPIC' talking about going out for a film, etc..
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

always loved the conversation and lines, that Steed and Mrs.Peel had at the conclusion of 'EPIC' talking about going out for a film, etc..
Actually, they talked about films, but then sighed in pleasure of the one about sex...Emma then says let's stay home, hops up, dashes off running to get back to her apartment, and calls for Steed, who leaps up after her. In other words--the bazillionth clear sexual innuendo they were heading home for sex. ;-)
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

Mona wrote:
Actually, they talked about films, but then sighed in pleasure of the one about sex...Emma then says let's stay home, hops up, dashes off running to get back to her apartment, and calls for Steed, who leaps up after her. In other words--the bazillionth clear sexual innuendo they were heading home for sex. ;-)
Yoou're so right, Mona! (As usual. :wink: ) A post I made under another topic-

'Epic' - The tag when Emma suggests the film 'Nights Of Abandon' and gives the description "...unbridled passions...". Steed replies, "Unbridled passions. Mmmm...Why don't we spend the night at home?"

Sue 8)
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha
Mona

Post by Mona »

'Epic' - The tag when Emma suggests the film 'Nights Of Abandon' and gives the description "...unbridled passions...". Steed replies, "Unbridled passions. Mmmm...Why don't we spend the night at home?"
Right, Sue, right--thanks for supplying the exact words. This is obviously one of the preeminent scenes where the sexual innuendo is hardly in the "innuendo" category, but in the "obvious" category!
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Mona

Post by Mona »

Right, Sue, right--thanks for supplying the exact words. This is obviously one of the preeminent scenes where the sexual innuendo is hardly in the "innuendo" category, but in the "obvious" category!
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

Watched The House That Jack Built last night. Steed's "It's at the laundry" in response to Mrs. Peel's question about where his shining armor was is one of my all time favorite lines. The exchange is a great example of their relationship.

Mrs. Peel, just having gone through an extremely traumatic experience and very glad to see Steed, tries to joke the situation away by calling him her knight in shining armor, and Steed, feeling relieved that Mrs. Peel was ok and a little embarrassed by the lance he was holding, responds with a lame little joke of his own. And all the while the looks on their faces tell the real story of how glad they were to see each other. Light and breezy on the surface, but much more serious below the surface.
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

Oh, I have lots of line I absolutely like.
But the bad thing, I can't remember all of them. :x

But some I can tell:

Who's Who???
Steed: "Hooper."
Emma: "What?"

Steed/Basil: "They slipped the net."
Emma/Lola: "They might turn up again."
Steed/Basil: "We have to find a new headquarters." (right? They sometimes too fast for me :oops:)
Emma/Lola: "How about my apartment? It's quieter and much more discreet."
---> and then, everybody knows what happens. :lol:

The Winged Avenger
Emma: "Eee - urp?"
Steed: "Eee - urp!"
---> understanding without any words. 8)

The Return Of The Cybernauts
Steed: "And after that. Great pains." (right too? I couldn't understand it so good)
Emma: "Steed you're jealous!"

The Correct Way To Kill
Emma: "You mean he not one of us?"
Steed: "No. He is one of theirs"

Steed: "It's unethical. Just not cricket"

That's it. If I remember some others I'll tell you. 8)

Sincerely yours,

Sinus1994 Image
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

From Death of a Great Dane:
Mrs Gale pulls back some bed sheets to make into a rope to escape out the window, however Steed reads the gesture slightly differenly:
"Mrs Gale, this is neither the time nor the place.."
Sinus1994

Post by Sinus1994 »

Oh yeah,

a new great line - typical Steed. :mrgreen:

Never, Never Say Die
Doctor: "He'd been attacked."
Steed: "By a banana?"

So funny, isn't it? :lol:

Sincerely yours,

Sinus1994 Image