Random thoughts from the 2nd season (corrected)

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Re: Mr. Teddy Bear

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Mona wrote:
As for Venus Smith--thank G-D they got rid of her and her awful music. As for Dr. Keel--thank G-D Hendry's ego had him and his boring character leave the show. As for Dr. King--thank G-D he went nowhere.

Mona
I don't agree, but I applaud passionate opinions like that! :)
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Mona wrote:
As for Venus Smith--thank G-D they got rid of her and her awful music. As for Dr. Keel--thank G-D Hendry's ego had him and his boring character leave the show. As for Dr. King--thank G-D he went nowhere.

Mona
I don't agree, but I applaud passionate opinions like that! :)
Neither do I, but I respect it. I will say that the old story about Ian Hendry's ego being the reason he left the show is incorrect, though. As we've heard from Leonard White and co., he simply decided to do some work elsewhere while he waited out the strike. When filming was due to start up again, he found himself already committed to do work elsewhere, so they simply forgave his contract. I think if he hadn't been otherwise engaged, he would have quite happily returned and done his other 13 episodes (he was contracted for 39 Keel stories in all). Ian loved the show and put a lot of work into it, so it wasn't as though he was actively trying to get away from it.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Rhonda
Epic

Re: Random thoughts from the 2nd season (corrected)

Post by Rhonda »

Cariheart wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Rhonda wrote:maybe we were, but I remember our house had a copy of Chuuby Checker's '(lets) do the twist'!

Didn't I read that Diana Rigg owned - or at least danced to - that record during her RADA days.
Funny! I was about to write those same words about Diana and Chubby Checker's music. Yes, I also read it was so.
@VA Avenger-I think twisting to certain jazzy tunes is not in the least bit odd. The Twist song is itself jazzy.
Chris Montez's song - Let's Dance 1962, also mentions The Twist. It was one of the dances we did until the Beatles arrived with their version of the hippy hippy shake.
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Mona wrote:Mr. Teddy Bear is one of the great Steed episodes of the whole series. For one thing, he strips down to his underwear, well within view of the female (and perhaps some of the male) audience. My pause button has been worn down as a result of that escapade!

He wrestles with Mrs. Gale, and there, on the floor, emits enough raw sexual charisma I drool a bucketful. Mrs. Gale pushes him away--in my daydreams, that is not my own personal reaction if I was down there with him.

Then, he is poisoned by a neurotoxin, saves himself by handily having neurotoxin antidote upstairs, apparently, hidden in his sock drawer, or somewhere, but does still nicely collapse to the floor.

He then apparently climbed up Mrs. Gale's apartment building to enter into her bathroom window; he's very fit after being poisoned!

Plus, we have a brilliant "diabolical mastermind"--and how we love them--who is an expert killer apprehended by Steed and Mrs. Gale. Good plot, if it does have a hole or two in it, and great for Steed fans.

It's a favorite Gale episode of mine, with "Man with Two Shadows".

Mona
interesting take..from a female point of view...Mrs.Gale, is a special taste...takes a while to 'get' her...but she certainly could hold her own!

I still like venus Smith. always have..not a major influence-or-part of the show, but important,all the same. Time has not been kind to her, regarding her tenure on the show!
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

I will say that the old story about Ian Hendry's ego being the reason he left the show is incorrect, though. As we've heard from Leonard White and co., he simply decided to do some work elsewhere while he waited out the strike. When filming was due to start up again, he found himself already committed to do work elsewhere, so they simply forgave his contract. I think if he hadn't been otherwise engaged, he would have quite happily returned and done his other 13 episodes (he was contracted for 39 Keel stories in all). Ian loved the show and put a lot of work into it, so it wasn't as though he was actively trying to get away from it.
On the other hand, Pat was getting bags of fan mail each week; more than Ian. There is definitely the chance that Ian probably wasn't that unhappy finding work otherwise knowing that Patrick was beginning to over-shadow him thus allowing Ian a "graceful" exit. He did state he was "bored" the Avengers and wanted more flexibility in his work, but he never did find any of the success he left behind in The Avengers, and one wonders indeed if he ever regretted his decision.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

As I understand it, Ian Hendry didn't think a lot of The Avengers - Patrick's comments are recorded where Hendry tore up scripts, wanted to start again from page one and treated writers as though they were idiots or something, I can't remember Pat's actual words.

I would suggest it's a tad unfair to say Ian Hendry didn't find any success after The Avengers. He made several movies after his tenure on the show - one of them Children of the Damned is a cult classic, another was the BAFTA-nominated Live Now Pay Later. He also appeared in another three British series were he played the lead - The Informer, The Adventures of Don Quick and The Lotus Eaters, so his IMDB entries are quite impressive.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Mona

Post by Mona »

I would suggest it's a tad unfair to say Ian Hendry didn't find any success after The Avengers. He made several movies after his tenure on the show - one of them Children of the Damned is a cult classic, another was the BAFTA-nominated Live Now Pay Later. He also appeared in another three British series were he played the lead - The Informer, The Adventures of Don Quick and The Lotus Eaters, so his IMDB entries are quite impressive.
Fair enough, Dandy. As an American, I should clarify that we didn't have him on our TV or in our consciousness nearly as much as Pat from the Avengers on. It sounds indeed like Hendry did well in Britain.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

With respect it's nonsense to say that he never had any success after leaving the Avengers.

He went on to appear in The Hill (Bafta for best film) and Get Carter, both very highly regarded films.

He had the best career an actor could hope for, he kept working right up until his death, playing a variety of parts.
Mona

Post by Mona »

Hello, Darren,

With respect it's nonsense to chastise me for a statement I already emended!

;-)
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

Keeping to this high level of respect :wink: , I'm glad Ian had a good career in films. It is Patrick Macnee, however, who is a TV legend in a cult classic series. The fact he was more popular with fans, as Mona stated, is what makes him outshine Ian. And, in my opinion, Ian never rose to the expectations everyone had of him.

Sue 8)
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha