Family Members

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Family Members

Post by Mona »

Hello, all,

I have just been introduced to the term "fanwanker" on my "I Spy" fan forum. There, someone explained to me that to fanwank is to explain a hole in the official canon of a show by giving an imaginary explanation which is neither necessarily supported, or contradicted, by the actual show facts itself. It gives the fan great pleasure creating this daydream ergo the somewhat puerile association with English slang. I hope that is not offensive vernacular on this list.

So, in this regard, what have people imagined is the family dynamics of our main characters? We know Emma's parents are dead. Any siblings? We know Steed's game house, and that he has at least one niece and nephew--how many siblings does he have? Are his parents alive or dead? How many aunts are REAL? Any uncles left with them? We know Purdey's step-dad, and her mom, are alive. Any siblings? Anyone have any clue as to anything about Gambit's lower socioeconomic family? Tara's kith and kin?

If anyone has played with some ideas about these unanswered questions, I'd like to hear them.
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

"Fanwank" is one of those terms that has a few connotations. I'm only used to it in relation to Doctor Who where is it used to describe something that indulges fan desires, continuity references. Something like Steed's, "Oh Mrs. Gale, what can she be doing at Forte Knox?". The Avengers rarely ever did anything that relates to it.

I suppose this other term definition could be something like Andrew Pixley's tongue in cheek "The Avengers Files" book on the history of the characters.

I've never really imagined their lives beyond the show. The very sixties looking pictures of Mrs. Peel's parents in "The House That Jack Built" have always bizarred me - I suppose we could say that they were a family ahead of their time.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Darren wrote:The very sixties looking pictures of Mrs. Peel's parents in "The House That Jack Built" have always bizarred me - I suppose we could say that they were a family ahead of their time.

You've lost me there. "Sixties looking"?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

Excellent topic to get the creative juices flowing!

I have been working on a story line where Emma has a younger brother. I would use him as a catalyst to Steed and Emma's relationship. They would learn more about each others pasts by integrating him into their lives.

The initial introduction would come about when Emma is notified her brother has been involved in a serious incident at Eaton and on the verge of expulsion. I know, Mona, you can somewhat imagine where this will go! :wink:

Sue 8)
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Darren wrote:The very sixties looking pictures of Mrs. Peel's parents in "The House That Jack Built" have always bizarred me - I suppose we could say that they were a family ahead of their time.

I think he means her parents' hair and clothes were sixties-style, when they were supposed to have been taken back in the late thirties, when Emma would have been born. Surely they could have sourced a vintage photo of a family with a baby?

The fact that Emma is the one who took over Knight Industries always makes me think she was an only child, btw. Even if Sir John was liberal-minded enough to want to a daughter in charge of his company, you'd think if she had a sibling he/she would have some stake in the company, even if they weren't in charge of running it. Emma was only 21 when she took over--there must not have been anyone else.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:

The fact that Emma is the one who took over Knight Industries always makes me think she was an only child, btw. Even if Sir John was liberal-minded enough to want to a daughter in charge of his company, you'd think if she had a sibling he/she would have some stake in the company, even if they weren't in charge of running it. Emma was only 21 when she took over--there must not have been anyone else.
"I'm sorry", she said (POLITELY!), as she stepped on a crack and walked under a ladder." I must be mistaken." :roll:
believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if i have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha
Mona

Post by Mona »

Well, of course, if Emma had a younger brother, and she was only 21 when her parents died and she took over the company, it makes sense that her brother would not yet be of age to participate in running an important firm. So, we can have both scenarios work out with a younger sibling theory. I'm not sure, but can we read the little script of the article we see briefly in that episode--or just the larger headlines? If we can't make out the inner article paragraphs, perhaps buried in it is a report that the younger son of the Knights is only 8 or 9 or so and will be cared for by some other relative. That way, around 6 years later, when Emma is working with Steed, her brother can be 14 or 15 or so and at Eton.

I wonder if Emma's brother was going to be expelled from Eton due to a certain gambling outfit he had set up there.... ;-)
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:

I think he means her parents' hair and clothes were sixties-style, when they were supposed to have been taken back in the late thirties, when Emma would have been born. Surely they could have sourced a vintage photo of a family with a baby?

I suppose . It's never really bothered me. It's on screen for one second after all.

oneknightsteed
Little Wonder

Post by oneknightsteed »

I was just watching 'Death On The Rocks'. In the party scene with Mrs. Gale posing as Steeds wife she says to a guest, "Do come and meet my mother-in-law. She's really quite a character!" Though she is never produced, we now have the notion that Steeds mother is alive. ( And the look on Steeds face when he registers what Cathy has just said is priceless!)

Sue 8)
-buddha
Cariheart

Post by Cariheart »

oneknightsteed wrote:Excellent topic to get the creative juices flowing!

I have been working on a story line where Emma has a younger brother. I would use him as a catalyst to Steed and Emma's relationship. They would learn more about each others pasts by integrating him into their lives.

The initial introduction would come about when Emma is notified her brother has been involved in a serious incident at Eaton and on the verge of expulsion. I know, Mona, you can somewhat imagine where this will go! :wink:

Sue 8)
Sue, please let me know immediately when you've penned this! Would love to see where your creative juices has lead you. Cheers!
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time