Did They or Didn't They?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Mrs. Peel
Little Wonder

Post by Mrs. Peel »

what's about Emma's advice "anti clockwise" and her gesticulation?
In my opinion this is another innuendo.

And "A funny thing happened on the way to the station" - the final dialouge? When they are talking about "the long speech, and predending not to be at home" - the smile on their faces....

:-)
Always keep your bowler on in times of stress!
Hoity-Toity!

http://theavengersrevisited.blogspot.com
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Thanks. They were old avatars of mine or ones I rejected. Just a bit of daftness.

You think there was any Steed/Tara hanky-panky in TFMK? They'd only just met! :shock:
The way she goes to make the drinks (doesn't she drop a boa on the floor or something) and looks provocatively over her shoulder... not to mention Steed's knowing "you know my tastes" to Mother... and the coda is some weeks after the main body of TFMK - Andrew Pixley's research shows another episode (possibly) intervened, so Steed and Tara could well have had a debriefing scene (as it were) that we didn't see, before she got assigned with him permanently.

Tara doesn't hang about either - there's no coyness about why she gives him her address as soon as they first meet!
Last watched: "Concerto"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Frankymole, I'm all for anyone having their own interpretations of what went on between scenes in the show, but ...

It would completely chew up (and spit out) any romance and sadness of John Steed parting with Emma Peel if, one second after Em drives up the road with Peter-Piper-picked-a-peck-of-pickled-Peppers-Peel, one drop of Tara King's feather boa made Steed drop his trousers.

No, no, Uh-nuh, no way ... :shock:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Dan
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Dan »

I'm firmly in the Yes camp on this question. The clincher for me is Mrs. Peel's arriving at Steed's apartment at 3 am in the morning with a bottle of Champagne in Dead Man's Treasure.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Yes, Steed and Emma did it; obviously. That "Dead Man's Treasure" intro is another very clear moment of innuendo.

However, no, Steed and Tara did not hop into bed as soon as Mrs. Peel left.

My two cents and worth just that!

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

Dan wrote:I'm firmly in the Yes camp on this question. The clincher for me is Mrs. Peel's arriving at Steed's apartment at 3 am in the morning with a bottle of Champagne in Dead Man's Treasure.
Looks like a "booty-call" to me! :wink:
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Mrs. Peel wrote:what's about Emma's advice "anti clockwise" and her gesticulation?
It's an Avengers way of spinning the old 007 'Shaken not stirred' line. No more. I can't even understand how that could be any kind of innuendo. Unless I'm very naive.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
hal anderson
Nutshell

Post by hal anderson »

my two cents worth

Cathy Possibly (Man with two shadows strongest evidence)

Emma Definitely(Look no further than the town of no return)

Tara Probably (Invasion of the earthmen tag scene)

As Brian Clemens suggested you could quite happily watch the series with your Aunt Beryl and both of you can happily come to different conclusions
re sexual activity or otherwise between the leads

All good Fun :D
Mrs. Peel
Little Wonder

Post by Mrs. Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Mrs. Peel wrote:what's about Emma's advice "anti clockwise" and her gesticulation?
It's an Avengers way of spinning the old 007 'Shaken not stirred' line. No more. I can't even understand how that could be any kind of innuendo. Unless I'm very naive.
well, I don't know ... I just read about it in an german book about the Avengers, and the writer was talking about this scene - she thinks that this is a innuendo... so why not. well, it's all a little bit silly and this are just ideas of some people (who are crazy... :-) )
Always keep your bowler on in times of stress!
Hoity-Toity!

http://theavengersrevisited.blogspot.com
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Perhaps she just didn't get it and thought "Oh it must be innuendo!" It's a bit like people saying they 'love irony' and not able to give an example of it, like that song by Alanis Morisette (which isn't ironic at all*).

*However a song about irony, which misuses the meaning of it, is ironic. Don't ya think?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY