Did They or Didn't They?

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Mrs. Peel
Little Wonder

Post by Mrs. Peel »

yes, could be. well, of course emma could give tara an advice how steed like "special things" (the gesticulation with her hand....) but it's always very difficult to understand the british things if you're not british ;-)
Always keep your bowler on in times of stress!
Hoity-Toity!

http://theavengersrevisited.blogspot.com
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Perhaps she just didn't get it and thought "Oh it must be innuendo!" It's a bit like people saying they 'love irony' and not able to give an example of it, like that song by Alanis Morisette (which isn't ironic at all*).

*However a song about irony, which misuses the meaning of it, is ironic. Don't ya think?
What's not ironic in the song? Most of the examples given (like the guy afraid to fly, but gets persuaded to, and crashes on his first trip) are very ironic. I' always puzzled when people say AM doesn't "get" irony - she is after all Canadian, not American. Or are they being "ironic" and just joking?
Last watched: "Concerto"
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Mrs. Peel wrote:yes, could be. well, of course emma could give tara an advice how steed like "special things" (the gesticulation with her hand....) but it's always very difficult to understand the british things if you're not british ;-)

I see a lot of innuendo in The Avengers, as I've commented on. But that clockwise motion and statement by Emma leaves me clueless as to how it reflects any type of sexual innuendo. I thought it just kind of referenced another of Steed's eccentric kitchen oddities, like where he stores his tea!

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Frankymole wrote:What's not ironic in the song? Most of the examples given (like the guy afraid to fly, but gets persuaded to, and crashes on his first trip) are very ironic. I' always puzzled when people say AM doesn't "get" irony - she is after all Canadian, not American. Or are they being "ironic" and just joking?

http://fgk.hanau.net/articles/ironic.html
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Mrs. Peel
Little Wonder

Post by Mrs. Peel »

Mona wrote:
Mrs. Peel wrote:yes, could be. well, of course emma could give tara an advice how steed like "special things" (the gesticulation with her hand....) but it's always very difficult to understand the british things if you're not british ;-)

I see a lot of innuendo in The Avengers, as I've commented on. But that clockwise motion and statement by Emma leaves me clueless as to how it reflects any type of sexual innuendo. I thought it just kind of referenced another of Steed's eccentric kitchen oddities, like where he stores his tea!

Mona
yes, I think so. Well, I interpret to much :-) and the writer of the book too ;-)
Hoity-Toity!

Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Frankymole wrote:What's not ironic in the song? Most of the examples given (like the guy afraid to fly, but gets persuaded to, and crashes on his first trip) are very ironic. I' always puzzled when people say AM doesn't "get" irony - she is after all Canadian, not American. Or are they being "ironic" and just joking?

http://fgk.hanau.net/articles/ironic.html
OED definition of irony: "happening in a way contrary to what is expected, and typically causing wry amusement because of this:
example [with clause] :
it was ironic that now everybody had plenty of money for food they couldn't obtain it because everything was rationed"

The examples she gives seem pretty much to "happening in a way contrary to what is expected, and typically causing wry amusement" to me!! Perhaps I just have a weird sense of humour :)
Last watched: "Concerto"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

The example you gave is ironic (man afraid to fly, persuaded to, crashes on his first trip) but 'rain on your wedding day'? No.

Read the link, it makes a lot of sense.

A lot of people misuse irony - I suppose I may have in the past. I don't agree that it is the sole property of the English - although it's the type of humour we are mostly associated with.

There are levels of irony that goes from very dry humour to irony to sarcasm, anyway. It's not always a case of 'this is', 'this isn't'.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

Mrs. Peel wrote:
Mona wrote:

Mona
yes, I think so. Well, I interpret to much :-) and the writer of the book too ;-)
I see what Mrs. Peel sees in that gesture. Then again I have a dirty mind. :oops: :roll: :shock: Although, it's definately not meant to reflect THAT. It'ld be way too crass.
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
Mrs. Peel
Little Wonder

Post by Mrs. Peel »

Cariheart wrote:
Mrs. Peel wrote:
Mona wrote:

Mona
I see what Mrs. Peel sees in that gesture. Then again I have a dirty mind. :oops: :roll: :shock: Although, it's definately not meant to reflect THAT. It'ld be way too crass.
another dirty mind :-D yeah
Hoity-Toity!

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Then can someone explain it to me as I'm not getting it. :oops:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY