The Town of No Return

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
buck1107
Nutshell

Post by buck1107 »

I've often wondered about this too - what did the preliminary investigation reveal? Thanks
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

I know it was fun having Ray Austin on here (briefly), but issues like this make me wish we could get Brian Clemens to pop in for a bit. if there's any one person who that stands a chance of clearing up these little nagging questions we've all had for years, it would be him!
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Darren wrote:I've always assumed it was from the original production. The man looks too old to be a stuntman, I wonder who the actor actually is.
I ALWAYS WONDERED IF they 'lifted' any scenes, etc from the original
version....
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

mousemeat wrote:
Darren wrote:I've always assumed it was from the original production. The man looks too old to be a stuntman, I wonder who the actor actually is.
I ALWAYS WONDERED IF they 'lifted' any scenes, etc from the original
version....
We know that the shot of Mrs. Peel's hand when looking at the registry is Elizabeth Shepherd's.

Due to how youthful Macnee looks, I've always assumed that the airfield footage of Steed is from the original. The style of shooting looks very much like director Peter Graham Scott's rather than Roy Baker's.

It's such a shame that more photos of the production don't seemingly exist (let alone the actual footage).
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Darren wrote: We know that the shot of Mrs. Peel's hand when looking at the registry is Elizabeth Shepherd's.
We suspect that, but we don't know it for sure. It could just be a second-unit actress or stand-in, or Diana Rigg with her gloves off, anyone really, even one of the production crew... it might just be a continuity error!

Steed on the beach (the location bits where he's in shot alone, throwing stones etc) are supposed to be from the original shoot. Isn't the opening scene with the arrival of the fake schools inspector in a plastic bag from the sea also likely to be from the original?
Last watched: "Concerto"
Cariheart
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Cariheart »

I'm pretty sure most of the original scenes were salvaged. THe studio was on a budget and doesn't seem like the execs allowed wasting of film. This is just a speculation on my part.
" I appreciate your ... appreciation."- Mrs. Emma Peel - Escape in Time
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

It's all specualtion, Cariheart. And I agree with you - educated guess down to economics. Money was always an issue on the show.

I also believe that gloveless hands belong yo E. Shepherds. Why would Diana take off her gloves in order to ruin continuity? Anything showing Miss Shepherd's face was (gulp) chucked away but who cared about hands, when you watching this once and they are only on screen for a moment?
Last edited by Dandy Forsdyke on Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

It amused me on the commentary that Clemens commented on the beach scene saying that it looks like studio even though it's a real beach, when the shots he was talking about, it was a studio set.

Do we know how many of the actors in the original production were retained if any? I understand that the original Jill Manson was played by another actress.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It's all specualtion, Cariheart. And I agree with you - educated guess down to economics. Money was always an issue on the show.

I also believe that gloveless hands belong yo E. Shepherds. Why would Diana take off her gloves in order to ruin continuity? Anything showing Miss Shepherd's face was (gulp) chucked away but who cared about hands, when you watching this once and they are only on screen for a moment?
I've always figured the hand was Elizabeth's, too. It doesn't even look like Diana's. The nails are even painted--red or something. Emma/Diana never wore coloured nail polish as far as I can remember (that was more Tara's line).
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:It's all specualtion, Cariheart. And I agree with you - educated guess down to economics. Money was always an issue on the show.

I've always figured the hand was Elizabeth's, too. It doesn't even look like Diana's. The nails are even painted--red or something. Emma/Diana never wore coloured nail polish as far as I can remember (that was more Tara's line).
same here...of course, perhaps Dame Diana, could throw some light..but probably won't.....interesting changing period..for the show..