One more Avengers DVD!

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

robtpatrick
White Dwarf

One more Avengers DVD!

Post by robtpatrick »

Presently, I have every Avengers from Honor Blackman to Linda Thorson, plus the New Avengers 76+77; two questions; when the 1961 DVD is released how is Honor Blacman "officially introduced" to John Steed? Is there a transitional episode from Honor Blackman to Diana Rigg, as there the Forget Me knots is the trasitional episode from Diana Rigg to Linda Thorson?
Last question, there is a Pal Formatted DVD which is available in Euprope; is that the DVD I am looking for?
Love the Avengers! Always Have; always will!
Robert H Patrick
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

Well you are missing these things because they do not exist, you do have all the episodes.

Honor Blackman entered the Avengers in 1962, her introduction episode (Warlock) became an ordinary episode during production. In the end it wasn't even the first episode with Cathy Gale. (Read The Avengers and Me by Patrick Macnee and Dave Rogers for more on this deleted introduction scene.)

There is not introduction episode for Emma Peel, although Cathy Gale does exit in her last episode (Lobster Quadrille).

I don't understand which DVD it is you are referring to, could you specify or maybe another member does understand which DVD you referred to.

For more information for beginning and advanced Avengers fans go the The Avengers Forever fansite:
http://theavengers.tv/forever/guide.htm
robtpatrick
White Dwarf

Many thanks!

Post by robtpatrick »

The DVD in question will be ordered by me; notification will be sent to me when it will become available. It appears as though Cath Gale will appear in these episodes but not officially be teaming with John Steed will appear in certain circumstances.
Thank you again!
Robert H Patrick
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

If you're talking about about the new, red Season 1 and 2 box, here are the 'introduction' statuses of the characters.

Keel: Introduced in what still exists of Hot Snow.

Gale: Warlock was recorded as Cathy's introductory episode, but was edited later. As such, Cathy doesn't have an introductory episode proper, although both Warlock and Death Dispatch feel a bit like introductory stories. Cathy leaves in Lobster Quadrille. In the original version of Warlock, it is One-Ten who sets Cathy and Steed up as a team.

King/Smith: Not seen to join of depart: they already know Steed.
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

Brendan Jones wrote:If you're talking about about the new, red Season 1 and 2 box, here are the 'introduction' statuses of the characters.

Keel: Introduced in what still exists of Hot Snow.

Gale: Warlock was recorded as Cathy's introductory episode, but was edited later. As such, Cathy doesn't have an introductory episode proper, although both Warlock and Death Dispatch feel a bit like introductory stories. Cathy leaves in Lobster Quadrille. In the original version of Warlock, it is One-Ten who sets Cathy and Steed up as a team.

King/Smith: Not seen to join of depart: they already know Steed.
If you watch, you can see where they edited in the re-shot scene of Steed and Cathy at the museum. Even on the new sets, there's still a difference in quality. Also, once or twice in the original scenes, Cathy calls him "Mister Steed" instead of the usual "Steed" like she would if they had just met.
Brendan Jones
Little Wonder

Post by Brendan Jones »

Absolutely, Sam. Not to mention the lingering looks at the skull (just before the edit point, IIRC).

To me, Avengers characters work better without an definite introduction. It adds to the mystery of the characters. :)
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I think it's a shame that they ditched Cathy's introduction. At least she got a departure episode, which is more than David Keel did. He just got a story about rotting bananas and the next week he wasn't there! ;)
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Alan wrote:I think it's a shame that they ditched Cathy's introduction. At least she got a departure episode, which is more than David Keel did. He just got a story about rotting bananas and the next week he wasn't there! ;)
Sounds narsty! :wink: What a way to go ...
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

I think that introductions are omitted because then the episodes can be viewed in any order. It's the feeling that the characters are already familiar with each other that is the desired result.
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

I'm sure that's pretty much on the money.
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger