Remaking the Avengers?

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
bobbysteed
Nutshell

Remaking the Avengers?

Post by bobbysteed »

I think they could make a Avenger's Movie and even bring back The Series. Rachel Stirling, Diana Rigg's Daughter could play Emma Peel. She is a good likeness of her mother. It would be Steed's role that would be hard to fill. It's definitly time to bring back The Avenger's. They have such Rubbish on The Telly these days. I hardly ever watch The Telly. They have really run out of Ideas in Hollywood and Borhamwood. Idiotic shows like Can You Dance? or a Crime Dramas and Hospital Shows. It's like they don't want you to dream no more or have a imagination. Mindless Shows like Friends or Seinfeld, we are bombarded with. God Forbid they put on a Adventure Series, Spy Program or Sci-FI. It usually gets pulled off a year later. Like Life on Mars. Well enough of my ranting, Bobby :D
I am a Big Fan of The Avengers.
Mrs. Peel
Little Wonder

Post by Mrs. Peel »

yes, it would be interesting to see Diana's daughter as Emma Peel...but I think that we all would be disappointed, because it's impossible to remake the good old avengers...
although it would be nice if they would show a sophisticated very british show at TV :-) ;-)
Always keep your bowler on in times of stress!
Hoity-Toity!

http://theavengersrevisited.blogspot.com
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Mrs. Peel wrote:yes, it would be interesting to see Diana's daughter as Emma Peel...but I think that we all would be disappointed, because it's impossible to remake the good old avengers...
although it would be nice if they would show a sophisticated very british show at TV :-) ;-)

naw...don't remake it...can't be done...can't capture the era of the show, etc.

heck, look at that dreadful movie......
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

mousemeat wrote:
Mrs. Peel wrote:yes, it would be interesting to see Diana's daughter as Emma Peel...but I think that we all would be disappointed, because it's impossible to remake the good old avengers...

naw...don't remake it...can't be done...can't capture the era of the show, etc.

heck, look at that dreadful movie......
The Avengers was a TV series with specific talents involved who made it the classic that it is. You cannot take just anyone and let them make something, call it "The Avengers", and make it work. The movie proved that. There is no one with the charm of Patrick Macnee around today. There is no one like Diana Rigg today. Directors today are not of the same caliber, either. The Avengers was of its time and should be left there. I'm glad it never turned into the monstrous franchise that Star Trek became.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

There are several threads about the last Avengers movie and a remake already.

In short: they can't make a new film and call it 'The Avengers' because Marvel comics are making their own franchise of movies under that name (with Iron Man, Thor, etc) so that fact (plus the disasterous 98 movie) will put paid to any new motion picture.

However, I do believe a British/American Avengers-like project could be made, without using The Avengers name.

I have several ideas in case a BBC exec is reading this ... :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
bobbysteed
Nutshell

Re making The Avengers

Post by bobbysteed »

True it would be tough to have someone fill Patrick Macnee's role. I still think Rachel Stirling could play Emma Peel well. As for Directors that's a different story. As for the Movie, what were they thinking? Uma Thuman as Emma! She was horrible. She could not even shine Diana Rigg's shoes as far as I'm concerned. Bobby Steed
I am a Big Fan of The Avengers.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

There are lots of ways you could go. The worst possible direction was what they did in 1997 - throw $80m into the mix making it a big budget picture. There was no need to do that, this isn't Star Trek.

It should have been a very retro, very small scale indie film if anything. No star names, no stunt casting, just unknown actors who were right for the parts.

My favourite idea for a remake is on the radio and a series of Big Finish CDs and downloads.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Allard
The Ministry

Post by Allard »

You can't remake the Avengers, because it was to much part of it's era. If you want to make something as good, you have too make something that is to today what the Avengers was to the 1960s.
MRotten

Post by MRotten »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:There are lots of ways you could go. The worst possible direction was what they did in 1997 - throw $80m into the mix making it a big budget picture. There was no need to do that, this isn't Star Trek.

It should have been a very retro, very small scale indie film if anything. No star names, no stunt casting, just unknown actors who were right for the parts.

My favourite idea for a remake is on the radio and a series of Big Finish CDs and downloads.
.....yes, and in monochrome! That would have been the clincher. Alas, a low budget indie film would have been interesting, but instead we got the monstrosity that Warner Bros. cooked up. Sorry to spoil anyone's liking the film, but come on, The Avengers movie stank to high heaven in nearly every way. I liked some of the visuals, but everything else about it reeked.
MRotten

Post by MRotten »

Allard wrote:You can't remake the Avengers, because it was to much part of it's era. If you want to make something as good, you have too make something that is to today what the Avengers was to the 1960s.
Today? People walking around in terrible clothes and flashing their tattoos? No thanks.