Fog

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Vic Flange
Nutshell

Fog

Post by Vic Flange »

Watched it for the first time last night, luckily I have about 6 Tara King episodes to watch before I have watched every avengers made, just wanted to know your thoughts on Fog and the Gaslight Ghoul?
I thought it was ok, a bit predictable in parts and once again in this 'era' Mother was given a lot of air time for no particular reason!...i suppose the scripts were drying up? :(
Last Watched:Super Secret Cypher Snatch
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Actually Fog is one of my favorite TK episodes. I love the surrealism, the costuming, etc. As with Pandora, I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one, but I really can't find fault with this episode. :)
Every parent has a favorite child. Usually the child belongs to the neighbors.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I've actually always thought that Fog was a pretty popular episode among Avengers fans. It always comes up on my list of favourite Taras, anyway. It requires a slight suspension of disbelief since we essentially have a modern-day Steed and Tara running around a throwback London that they never seem to find particularly unusual. It's entirely studiobound, but the sets are brilliantly done to make you feel like you're outside and shut in at the same time, if you catch my meaning. Very claustrophobic. Steed and Tara are split up most of the time, proving once again that they tend to work better solo with brief reunions. Tara handles herself wonderfully, and runs around in one of the world's most awesome coats in the process. The Gaslight Ghoul is a pretty obvious Jack the Ripper knock-off, but I don't think that hurts the plot at all. Really, the whole episode is another one of those surreal, boardering on horror stories that seemed to be so prevalent in the Tara era--see Stay Tuned and Take-Over--but that's exactly why it works. I don't think the setting/premise would work a second time, but as a one-off I think it works brilliantly. :D
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

It was an instant favourite as soon as I saw it. I love that they pushed the surreal qualities. It's strikingly directed by John Hough. Some episodes, in fact many Avengers episodes, don't have to be about plot, they can get by with a superb atmosphere and interesting aesthetic.

I can't wait to see the restored version on DVD.

Hello.
Whiskers
Winged Avenger

Post by Whiskers »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I've actually always thought that Fog was a pretty popular episode among Avengers fans.
It is. 'Fog' has always been near the top of my list of favourite Taras.

In the most recent of these popularity polls we have every so often 'Fog' was the third most popular Tara ep, with 50pts, and picked up 347pts to claim 30th place in Guillaume's 'all episodes' poll.
Last watched : Intercrime
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

I'm glad to see that others like Fog as well as I do. If my memory serves me correctly, it didn't seem to be a very popular episode amongst many members of the original forum, hence my idea that I was in a minority with this ep. :)
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Whiskers wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I've actually always thought that Fog was a pretty popular episode among Avengers fans.

In the most recent of these popularity polls we have every so often 'Fog' was the third most popular Tara ep, with 50pts, and picked up 347pts to claim 30th place in Guillaume's 'all episodes' poll.
There, I've been proven right! :D It really is a great episode, and I agree it's the atmosphere that makes it. I'm looking forward to a rewatch, too. :)
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
kim
The Ministry

Post by kim »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Whiskers wrote:

There, I've been proven right! :D It really is a great episode, and I agree it's the atmosphere that makes it. I'm looking forward to a rewatch, too. :)
I bow to your rightness oh great one. :D
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

I am very fond of <i>Fog</i> also. I like the story, and particurlarly the Victorian atmosphere.

Given the modern look of most of the Taras, though, this episode is a bit unbalancing - but in a positive way.

I am much more unbalanced, however, when I see Sherlock Holmes fighting Nazis. It just isn't right.
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
Andrew Pixley
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Andrew Pixley »

Love it! Terrific atmosphere. Lovely characters. Great guest cast. Grade-A Avengers hokum! :)