The Avengers Dossier (Cornell/Topping/Day)

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I guess I would have to disagree about it being one of the worst books, as it's one of my favourites. It is error ridden, I can't deny that, but it's also entertainingly fannish and has an informal style that was such a contrast from some of the dry style of most episode guides.

I promise that you'll have a chuckle or two over a few of the comments. :wink:
never seen this book...how bad were the errors ?
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

I'm pretty sure it was down to the implications about the John Bryce/Linda relationship that Linda objected to, and led to the pulping. I have both copies of the book (pulped and reprint), though I haven't actually gone looking for the libellous statement.

I have to say I really didn't enjoy this one, either--the writers are very opinionated, which isn't bad in itself, but I found them unnecessarily nasty at times, and I disagreed with them most of the time. And yes, there are factual errors. I have a feeling I wouldn't get on well with the authors to be honest. :lol:

But yes, by all means, read it! I'd encourage everyone to check these things out for themselves rather than take the majority's view on it for granted. There are some good tidbits in there, don't get me wrong. It's just that on the whole I personally didn't enjoy it.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Jasper Groat
Thingumajig

Post by Jasper Groat »

After four books from Dave Rogers, which increasingly felt like an impenetrable franchise, this came as a breath of daft fresh air.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Jasper Groat wrote:After four books from Dave Rogers, which increasingly felt like an impenetrable franchise, this came as a breath of daft fresh air.

I agree 100%. I don't think the authors were being deliberately nasty, and there are lots of tongues in cheeks on display. But because I speak my mind (you may have noticed) I like it when people speak theirs.

For factual errors read the book bloopers section on Avengers Forever.
http://theavengers.tv/forever/bloop-2.htm
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Jasper Groat
Thingumajig

Post by Jasper Groat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Jasper Groat wrote:After four books from Dave Rogers, which increasingly felt like an impenetrable franchise, this came as a breath of daft fresh air.

I agree 100%. I don't think the authors were being deliberately nasty, and there are lots of tongues in cheeks on display. But because I speak my mind (you may have noticed) I like it when people speak theirs.

For factual errors read the book bloopers section on Avengers Forever.
http://theavengers.tv/forever/bloop-2.htm
I missed out the words 'for me' at the end of my post and much as I like David I have no plans to read the book bloopers section of his site until I've nailed the classics.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I mentioned the bloopers section of TAF bacause mousemeat was asking what the errors were.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
stevieb
White Dwarf

The Avengers Dossier

Post by stevieb »

Hi,

Yes, I found this book enjoyable to a certain degree. Indeed, as one poster rightly mentioned, the book came not too long after Dave Rogers` last book on the series, and while The Avengers Dossier certainly wasn`t as detailed as the Rogers` books, it at least gave some interesting observations on certain episodes, basic facts & served as a handy guide with a chuckle or two along the way.

Having said that, the authors certainly put the boot into the Tara King & New Avengers series, and while I certainly believe the writers were not intentionally nasty, it`s quite apparent from their opinions/observations which seasons of The Avengers they liked & didn`t like, with their opinions being slightly OTT on a number of occasions.

The book doesn`t really work as a detailed history/production background of the TV series and perhaps it was never meant to be, but it`s more than just an episode guide & perhaps the book could be redone with further background detail & more observations on the individual episodes - indeed I`m surprised it hasn`t been reissued since

stevieb
PaulGreaves
Thingumajig

Post by PaulGreaves »

My copy of this book has just arrived in the post. The cover's a bit bent but the spine is intact and all the pages are in the right place.

I'll let you know what I think when I'm done... :D
Charlie Parker
Little Wonder

Post by Charlie Parker »

It was quite a fun book and fairly tongue in cheek, although I don't agree with many of their views on various episodes. The factual errors tend to be mis quoting dialogue and in the case of Intercrime making up a tag scene, which makes me wonder if they were writing from memory after limted viewings.
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
kim wrote:If I remember correctly (and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) the original was pulped because the author had dragged Linda Thorson through the mud in it. She threatened to sue, so the book was recalled and rewritten .

I believe it contained one sentence that Linda found offensive - I wouldn't say she was dragged through the mud but yes the book, in it's original form, was destroyed.

http://avengersfanforum.s2.bizhat.com/v ... rsfanforum
I'm sure to Linda it was "good riddance to bad rubbish". Nothing worse than a book with snarky opinions and factual errors.