Favourite Scene from "The town of no return"

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Certainly a great episode all around, from the tea tray in the train, to Steed's disarming numerous younger Russians in the fight scene.

His serious threat to Piggy Warren was enthralling!

However, for those of us following the SEDDI slant, I love how Steed and Emma wind up inches apart in her bedroom, and then the next morning, she is dancing along the playground in all her post-coital joy.

;-)

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
waldotyson
Thingumajig

Post by waldotyson »

Jiggly wrote:The completely unexpected opening scene - a shapeless black plastic 'apparition' emerging from the sea, out of which blithely steps an archetypal english gentleman, who then casually makes a throwaway remark about the weather before strolling away amongst the dunes - no explanation, completely understated and not a shot wasted.

So redolent of the dry eccentricity that characterises the best of the series for me :)
I do so agree! Also, I rather enjoy the spot of tea they share by the fireside whilst sheltering from the cold outside and listening to the "badger hunting" going on.
"Welcome my lord. Allow me."
Rhonda
Epic

Post by Rhonda »

The scene I like is in a bedroom at the Inn. I think Steed bumps into something hanging down and there's quite a suspense about what's going on outside.
Ron
Last Watched : The Gladiators
bekius55
White Dwarf

Post by bekius55 »

Darren wrote:Easily the scene on the train. I usually end up watching that several times before actually getting on with the episode. I love the cosy feel, the way it's written and just the performances - a lovely archaic feel. "Another agent who was looking for the agent who was looking for the agent who was looking for the agent".
I always think whoever wrote the lousy script for the "Avengers" movie must have had Steed and Mrs Peel's high tea on the train in mind when they came up with the stupid idea of having Steed's Bentley have a built in tea-maker.

Stupid, wrong idea. One amongst many in that film.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

bekius55 wrote:I always think whoever wrote the lousy script for the "Avengers" movie must have had Steed and Mrs Peel's high tea on the train in mind when they came up with the stupid idea of having Steed's Bentley have a built in tea-maker.

Stupid, wrong idea. One amongst many in that film.
Agreed. Crass and faintly repulsive to be honest. Not. A. Clue.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Sam
Winged Avenger

Post by Sam »

They cannibalised quite a bit from the series for the movie.
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

they came up with the stupid idea of having Steed's Bentley have a built in tea-maker.
What? English folks don't have tea-makers in their cars? Another myth uncovered across the pond! ;-)

Mona
(If Steed had that, Mrs. Peel probably knew every rest stop in the country--"Gotta go again, Steed." "Really, Mrs. Peel, perhaps that's enough tea for awhile...I'm turning the maker off.")
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
Ginandtonic
Little Wonder

Post by Ginandtonic »

One of my all time favourite episodes, in my top 5 for sure. Have often had this playing in the background, when working on the scripts to 'The Avengers Return'.

The fencing at the beginning, the tea on the train, Emma's coolness throughout when in total danger, the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, this script is unparalleled, I've yet to see a teleplay of any other show best this old or current. You could put this up against say Spooks (BBC) and this comes out far, far on top. Loved the 'Where is she Piggy' moustache burning scene. And as for Steed taking out a small army with his trusty bowler... mmm I want one :P

I still staggers me to this day that with all the material at the disposal of the film crew behind the 98 movie they couldn't turn out a decent film, instead they blatantly ripped off elements, from this episode in paticular I noticed and trashed it. Rest assured the new scripts won't make the same mistake.
roboman1984
White Dwarf

Post by roboman1984 »

Watched this the other nite. Love the beach scenes but the commentary claim that its actually shot on a real beach - I always thought it was studio?!?!?!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

roboman1984 wrote:Watched this the other nite. Love the beach scenes but the commentary claim that its actually shot on a real beach - I always thought it was studio?!?!?!
Um, so did I, because it is.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY