50TH Anniversary Book

Review and discuss not only Avengers non-fiction books and magazines here, but also mouse mats, coffee mugs, T-shirts and all other Avengers stuff one can buy.
pauljwyatt
Thingumajig

Post by pauljwyatt »

I received a copy of this book last week as part of my day job as a scribbler of missives in magazine and papers.
It's a wonderful hardback book. Most of the pictures i've never seen before ( Patrick Macnee also says in his introduction that he's not seen most of them)

I really like that a lot of the annotations to the photographs are new observations from Honor, Brian, Linda etc...It's as if you were looking at a scrapbook with them and they were commenting on the photos. There's also a large amount of background information to the series with Brian Clemens dispelling a few myths about the series - or perhaps creating a few more...

No new Avengers - then again after all this is THE AVENGERS. Everything up to and including the Tara King episodes are included.

Blimey everyone smoked in the sixties didn't they? So many photos of the cast in rehearsals puffing away...
Designer, writer & Filmmaker

http://www.paulwyatt.co.uk
Lando
Have Fingers... Will Type!

Post by Lando »

pauljwyatt wrote:I received a copy of this book last week as part of my day job as a scribbler of missives in magazine and papers.
It's a wonderful hardback book. Most of the pictures i've never seen before ( Patrick Macnee also says in his introduction that he's not seen most of them)

I really like that a lot of the annotations to the photographs are new observations from Honor, Brian, Linda etc...It's as if you were looking at a scrapbook with them and they were commenting on the photos. There's also a large amount of background information to the series with Brian Clemens dispelling a few myths about the series - or perhaps creating a few more...

No new Avengers - then again after all this is THE AVENGERS. Everything up to and including the Tara King episodes are included.

Blimey everyone smoked in the sixties didn't they? So many photos of the cast in rehearsals puffing away...
Wonderful! Thanks for the review! I plan on picking this book up when it is released!!

Perhaps a sequel book will cover The New Avengers? : )
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

It sounds lovely. Disappointed there's no TNA, though. The blurb said there would be...
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

In the YouTube clip there's a sneaky pic of the contents page and there was clearly no TNA and I didn't want to say and spoil it, but yes, it's disappointing.

I know it's not calling itself an ultimate historical document of The Avengers, but The New Avengers is a part of the show's history and I would have to respectfully disagree with Paul here. For me, and a lot of people, The New Avengers is still The Avengers.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
pauljwyatt
Thingumajig

Post by pauljwyatt »

I was referring to it being called The Avengers and not The New Avengers. Sorry to upset anyone.
Designer, writer & Filmmaker

http://www.paulwyatt.co.uk
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Press Release for this rather wonderful tome...

http://declassified.theavengers.tv/aven ... _titan.htm
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
Frankymole
You Have Just Been Posting (a lot)

Post by Frankymole »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:In the YouTube clip there's a sneaky pic of the contents page and there was clearly no TNA and I didn't want to say and spoil it, but yes, it's disappointing.

I know it's not calling itself an ultimate historical document of The Avengers, but The New Avengers is a part of the show's history and I would have to respectfully disagree with Paul here. For me, and a lot of people, The New Avengers is still The Avengers.
Perhaps in 2026 there'll be a sequel to this book...
Last watched: "Concerto"
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

pauljwyatt wrote:I was referring to it being called The Avengers and not The New Avengers. Sorry to upset anyone.
Please, you haven't. And I realise this isn't a history book. I'm just resolute that TNA was very much part of the whole Avengers story. No offence taken. 8)
Frankymole wrote:Perhaps in 2026 there'll be a sequel to this book...

I hadn't thought of that. Just in time for my 66th birthday! :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Alan
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by Alan »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
pauljwyatt wrote:I was referring to it being called The Avengers and not The New Avengers. Sorry to upset anyone.
Please, you haven't. And I realise this isn't a history book. I'm just resolute that TNA was very much part of the whole Avengers story. No offence taken. 8)
If the book doesn't cover The New Avengers, that's an omission that can only be described as unfortunate. TNA is as much a part of The Avengers as any era of the 1961-69 series.

One wonders if its inclusion might have muddied the licensing waters, since the series isn't wholly owned by Studio Canal?
Alan
--
Hidden Tiger
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:In the YouTube clip there's a sneaky pic of the contents page and there was clearly no TNA and I didn't want to say and spoil it, but yes, it's disappointing.

I disagree. The New Avengers is not The Avengers. As much as I adore Joanna Lumley, I'm just not a fan of The New Avengers. I know I'm not alone in not caring for the '70s series. Joanna's fight scenes are great, but that's about it for my interest. I for one am glad the new book is strictly about the original series in the 1960s. I think it was a wise choice, as The New Avengers is not as popular with the public nor is it as well-known as the original series. Here in the States, TNA was shown at the late-night hour of 11:30. It was not shown in primetime like The Avengers was.