Reavenging - Avengers Event - London 10/2010

Brollies, bowlers and boots (kinky, of course) are just a mouse click away. Tell us what Avengerish things you have found on the web.
Halfhide
Winged Avenger

Post by Halfhide »

..and here's Fenella. Utterly bonkers...but SO charming with it! A real character!!

Last watched: The Undertakers
Halfhide
Winged Avenger

Honor's interview

Post by Halfhide »

Just thought I'd post a few recollections from Honor's interview.......

Honor said she was actually born in Glasgow but moved to London very soon after that. She had an early memory of standing in the sink in order to be washed....and quite enjoyed the experience! :lol:

Her father was a Civil Servant and was at The Old Bailey, though Honor stressed that it was because of work, not because he was on trial! She said her father soon realised that to make it in life he wanted her to speak "properly" (i.e. not with a cockney accent) and so for her 16th birthday offered her elocution lessons (although Honor really wanted a bike!)

The lady who gave Honor elocution lessons helped awaken her interest in drama, because instead of getting her to read out addresses and numbers from the phone book, the teacher made her read plays and poetry. In her youth Honor was quite naive about the acting profession - she thought actors just "did it for fun"! :shock:

Honor went on to recall her first (non-speaking) part in the film "Fame Is The Spur", and how it was very nearly the last thing she ever did, because in one scene (where I believe she was playing dead or at least unconscious) a horse reared up and consequently reared down again - inches away from her head!! :shock:

Honor was asked if she saw The Avengers when it was first broadcast with Patrick & Ian. She said she couldn't remember watching it. She revealed that just before the audition, she was going through a very tough time as she had lost her brother and father so understandably auditions were not her main priority.

She also revealed that Sidney Newman wanted somebody else for the Cathy Gale role which prompted her to say to us in the audience "the man had no taste!!" which drew thunderous applause and laughs!

I'll post more tomorrow about her recollections whilst in The Avengers!
Alys
Nutshell

Re: Honor's interview

Post by Alys »

Halfhide wrote:Just thought I'd post a few recollections from Honor's interview.......

Honor said she was actually born in Glasgow but moved to London very soon after that.
Sorry to be a corrector, but I think Honor actually said that she was born in Plaistow (East London) but the family moved to West London soon afterwards. I know - I'm a pedant :D
Alys
Halfhide
Winged Avenger

Post by Halfhide »

I thought Glasgow seemed a rather long way away. Thanks for the correction **rushes away to find the nearest ear trumpet**
Halfhide
Winged Avenger

More Honor

Post by Halfhide »

These are the main bits of Honor's recollections of working on The Avengers:-

She admitted it was the hardest work she has ever done. She remembers vividly going to see Joe & Doug to practice the judo in the gym. As she went down the stairs she described the smell of sweat and the noise as people were thrown onto the gym floor as a result of the judo throws. Honor said she expected to have her own private dressing room, but all she got was a strip of curtain. She also remembered seeing a line of "grotty jockstraps" all hung up. How picturesque! :shock:

Honor revealed that Patrick used to "wing" a lot of his lines. Despite this, whatever he "made up", he always came back round to Honor's cue!

Patrick & Honor used to have a quiet moan together about some of the other actors not knowing their lines properly (after all, they only had a few lines to learn compared to Patrick & Honor's lines). So at the end of the week, Patrick would say to Honor "Oh darling, let's go out for some lunch". So off they went to a restaurant in Kingston and ate and had a fair few drinks. As Honor admitted, those post Friday-lunch rehearsals "weren't the sharpest"!!!

Honor said that she wasn't aware of the Goldfinger part when she made the decision to leave The Avengers. Her first Avengers contract was for 6 months, then they offered her another 2 year contract after that. She said no to the 2 year contract and went for an 18 month one instead, and left after that. "Patrick was terribly upset with me" she admitted.

Then of course, "Kinky Boots" reared its ugly head :oops: Honor rolled her eyes and said "I wish you hadn't mentioned Kinky Boots". She used one word to describe the experience - NIGHTMARE! Apparently they were rehearsing The Avengers on the Saturday till 5pm then had to rush to the studios to record the song. Honor explained that Patrick did the song "under duress" because he could neither hold a tune or maintain any sense of rhythm! They just couldn't get the song going, so they both went to the pub and tried it again after that. This time, the record producer would tap Patrick on the back whenever he was due to "speak" a line!

Bringing things bang up to date, Honor mentioned that she is still occasionally in touch with Patrick. She recounted a story regarding Patrick's reaction (as told by his son Rupert to Honor) when Honor had sent him something. Patrick said "Oh how lovely, I didn't know anyone was still alive!" :lol:

It's good to know Patrick still has his sense of humour!
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

The Riviere Kid wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:Halfhide, Honor looks TINY. Or are you 7ft tall or something.

Great pic - thanks for sharing. Looking forward to more - any of the lovely Janet Hargreaves?
Honor is tiny - but alas, that's what happens to old ladies!
Cathy Gale does it again, damn the age!
Wiebke
Nutshell

Post by Wiebke »

Looking forward to more - any of the lovely Janet Hargreaves?
Yes, here: http://jalbum.net/browse/user/album/772619/

Enjoy!
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Wiebke wrote:
Looking forward to more - any of the lovely Janet Hargreaves?
Yes, here: http://jalbum.net/browse/user/album/772619/

Enjoy!
Thank you, Wiebke. She will always be mad Rosemary Hunter to me ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brPyHBwC ... re=related
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: Reavenging - Avengers Event - London 10/2010

Post by mousemeat »

kim wrote:What I wouldn't give to see this..
http://www.fantomfilms.co.uk/events/rea ... enging.htm

envy city, here..(sigh)
Wiebke
Nutshell

Post by Wiebke »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Thank you, Wiebke. She will always be mad Rosemary Hunter to me ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brPyHBwC ... re=related
You're welcome! I don't think I'd ever seen her in anything else, so thank you for the link. I'm just glad I didn't see this before meeting her or I might have been intimidated. :lol: