Re Making The Avenger's The New Avenger's 76 and 77

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I think if it were done so stylistically that you wouldn't know whether it was done in the 60's or today it could work. I wouldn't like it set it in the 60's simply because we've had very recent crime series based in decades past and it come over as a copy.

You and I have mentioned the Big Finish CDs before, so I am in total agreement. Those missing season one stories would be very tempting to see adapted.
I see your point. I guess I feel as though we've already seen a "modern" take on the show by virtue of series today that have borrowed elements from it, directly or indirectly, so a period piece would seem more "back-to-basics" as it were. Either way, though, it'd be a tough balance to link it back to the old series while inventing something new that doesn't seem derivative of all the other shows that have been inspired by it over the years.

Audio adaptations of season one stories would be wonderful. I wouldn't mind the equivalent of the Doctor Who Target novelisation readings, either. I'm fond of the Avengers novels because they were my first Avengers items back in 1999, and I loved reading them. I would love to hear, say, Linda reading The Magnetic Man (my first ever Avengers buy! $3 at the very first used bookshop I went to!), or, even better, Joanna doing the wonderfully written Fighting Men. Even if only to hear her doing voices for Patrick and Gareth. :wink:
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Interestingly enough, I've just read that the next X Men movie will be set in the 1960s ...
•The story is a period piece that takes place during the early 1960s, when John F. Kennedy was president.
•The film will cover how Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr (played by James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender) first met while in their late 20s.
•McAvoy will not start the film in a wheelchair, but we will see how he is paralyzed. He will also have a full head of hair
•They are not trying to adapt the X-Men: First Class comic, rather seeing the film as "a new beginning for X-Men"
•The technology is inspired by the James Bond tech of the time and the costumes "will be far more comic bookish than we've seen before"
•Scott Summers (Cyclops) and Jean Grey aren't in the film, but Alex Summers (a.k.a. Havoc, a.k.a. Scott's brother) will be there and played by Lucas Till
•The Hellfire Club will be present in the film with Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon) and Emma Frost (January Jones) as members. The costumes will be similar to what they were in the original comics and Bacon may sport a ponytail with a ribbon
•The film will have a much more international feel, picking up with Xavier attending school at Oxford University. Shooting will take place in England and the US. Because this is the 60s, Russia will be represented.
I'm particularly interested in 'The Hellfire Club' being involved. This was inspired by The Avengers ep A Touch Of Brimstone of course.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I'm particularly interested in 'The Hellfire Club' being involved. This was inspired by The Avengers ep A Touch Of Brimstone of course.
Oh, that's kind of neat. I wonder if they'll leave in "Ms. Steed" and "Jason Wyngarde"? :wink:

Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

I'm not familiar with Miss Steed so I looked her up.

Oh my ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Steed
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I'm not familiar with Miss Steed so I looked her up.

Oh my ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Steed
I just remember reading about her on TAF:

http://theavengers.tv/forever/peel1-21.htm

She's a blatant Avengers in-joke. I don't know whether I like the fact that the writers wrote in her or Jason Wyngarde now that I'm a fan of Jason King. :lol:

mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Dandy Forsdyke wrote:I'm particularly interested in 'The Hellfire Club' being involved. This was inspired by The Avengers ep A Touch Of Brimstone of course.
Oh, that's kind of neat. I wonder if they'll leave in "Ms. Steed" and "Jason Wyngarde"? :wink:
Wyngarde was such a cad in that episode...the way his eyes flicker and dart around,as he's talking to Mrs.Peel...
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

mousemeat wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Wyngarde was such a cad in that episode...the way his eyes flicker and dart around,as he's talking to Mrs.Peel...
I really didn't like Brimstone, but I plan on watching it for only the second time on the new sets just to watch Peter in action. He's a brilliant actor, and it's amazing how different he could make himself look. Can't wait to hear his commentary for Epic, either.

sivvy
White Dwarf

Post by sivvy »

Personally I think we should forget any question of resurrecting Steed or Emma. Any attempt to recast them is bound to fail. I also don't think we shouldn't attempt recreate Avengerland as it was in 60's.

I feel we should look to Dr Who as inspiration. The new New Avengers that I see is a bigger bolder version. It should be aimed at the modern market but have a nod to the past (think new mini) It should feature a gentleman and an independant, successful lady who foil diabolical masterminds. it should be set in the present - but at the same time be timeless. It should be slightly whimsical and lighthearted but not a 'comedy drama'

To keep it in the spirit of the old Avengers the villians must be slightly bonkers and never succeed. 'new Steed' would drive a modern Bentley. 'new Emma drives' a Lotus. There needs a connection between the leads, there must be no blood.

I short it needs to be a brand new programme but it also has to capture the essence of the original.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:For the record: Uma Thurman and Ralph Fiennes were dreadfully miscast, but both are excellent actors.
the script was lacking, as well..the whole project was ill fated.
davidf
Little Wonder

Post by davidf »

sivvy is on the right track I think.

I once wrote my own version of a new series pilot (or film) as part of an exercice to learn to write scripts using characters you know.

My first take (this was 1991, mind you) was that The Avengers world isn't reality, and at some point, Steed wakes up to realise he is synched to a machine and lived all those adventures in a virtual world. They killed the vilain at the end by reformating the hard drive. In this virtual world, there was a Steed cult and fans dressed just like him, at one point, he had to fight a bunch of them, all looking ridiculous in Steed attire (some fat, some slim etc) and using swordsticks etc.

The teaser was someone watching a film, and then the guy is killed by the bullet fired from the screen.

I remember (haven't re-read this in ages) there was a hunt scene where Steed is the prey, and Emma the prize. But when the baddie give the word go, all the fake Steed fight against each other because they all want to bed Emma LOL

When I saw Matrix, I kicked myself for not having given the treatment to The Avengers film producer Jerry Weintraub, but first time I met him, the film script was already done and off running.