Unique to the British? The Avengers? Male & Female Leads

The place for general chat about the television series and its characters, from the ABC years through to The New Avengers.
lotsofbrolly
Nutshell

Unique to the British? The Avengers? Male & Female Leads

Post by lotsofbrolly »

Hi Forum,

I was just thinking to myself the other day. The Avengers was a very unique show, and very ahead of its time.

I remember being fasinated when I first discovered Steed and Mrs Peel on tv when I was 7 yrs old. (During the 1990's repeats of the show in the UK).

Them being male and female crime fighting heros, and also British. Which I hate to admit it, doesn't happen very often in the UK today, let alone in the 1960's.

Then I remembered other shows like Moonlighting, and of course The X Files, and now recently Bones. But they, again, I hate to admit it, all are American Shows.

So, here's my point, do you think The Avengers influenced the equal sexes in crime fighting heros, or was it us Brits that paved the way to equality in the sexes?

Or, I maybe simply barking up the wrong tree entirely, or simply far too young to know any other influences over the decades. Either way, its a point to raise.

Lots of brolly

Anne xxx
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

I think the answers to your questions are no, yes and yes.

In the early days of TV (1952 to 1953), I used to watch Mr. & Mrs. North, a husband and wife detective team. They were played by Richard Denning and Barbara Britton, both of whom had long TV careers afterward.

In 1965-66, we had Anne Francis in "Honey West." She had a macho partner named Sam Bolt. I was smitten by Anne Francis.

Image[/img]
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

VA_Avenger wrote:I think the answers to your questions are no, yes and yes.

In the early days of TV (1952 to 1953), I used to watch Mr. & Mrs. North, a husband and wife detective team. They were played by Richard Denning and Barbara Britton, both of whom had long TV careers afterward.

In 1965-66, we had Anne Francis in "Honey West." She had a macho partner named Sam Bolt. I was smitten by Anne Francis.

Image[/img]
I sure remember the North program..actually was pretty good for it's era. Denning was a pretty good 'B' actor, who made a number of 'B' and cult type films in the 1950's etc
VA_Avenger
Winged Avenger

Post by VA_Avenger »

Most notably, "The Creature from the Black Lagoon."
<i>Those who don't understand physics are oblivious to the gravity of the situation.
<b>- Jack</b></i>
Borgus Weems
Winged Avenger

Post by Borgus Weems »

There was also the Thin Man movie series...
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

There were quite a few female-led or female-shared shows after The Avengers, often cop/detective shows - Juliet Bravo, The Gentle Touch (and it's spin-off C.A.T.S Eyes) spring to mind.

Gambit and Purdey clearly influenced Dempsey and Makepeace.

Demspey & Makepeace clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFfFuwd5L5c

Harriet Makepeace didn't have a 'Purdey' though - more of a Debbie Harry thing going on. :wink:
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
MRotten
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by MRotten »

VA_Avenger wrote:I think the answers to your questions are no, yes and yes.

Image[/img]
"Honey West" producer, Aaron Spelling, admitted he created the show after he was inspired by a certain show he saw in England, with a certain blonde with a mole on her cheek.
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Post by mousemeat »

VA_Avenger wrote:Most notably, "The Creature from the Black Lagoon."
can't forget 'target earth' among other 'b' type sci-fi flicks...
lotsofbrolly
Nutshell

Post by lotsofbrolly »

Hi Forum,

They all do sound very similar to The Avengers (make-up) as it were, thanks for sharing :-)

Oh, I don't know if this was mentioned on the site before. But I was watching a clip of Dame Diana Rigg being interviewed by Paul O'Grady on youtube.com the other day. She won a credited certificate from the Guiness Book of Records, as she was the "first Female, to use Kung-Fu on Television". Just thought I might bring it up on here.

The Avengers was not just the first to have male and females as being "equals", but also the "first" to have them use a specific martial art on television also. (I know Honor used Judo, but apparently that isn't included in the Guiness Book of Records).

Lots of brolly

Anne xxx
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

The Guinness book award is a puzzle for a couple of reasons. I'm no expert, but Diana doesn't seem to be doing anything resembling Kung Fu in the show. Kung Fu is mentioned in Who's Who but only by Patricia Haynes (as Emma Peel).
THE AVENGERS GALLERY