Remaking the Avengers?

The Avengers radio plays, the stage play, the movie, the novelizations, comics and other official fictional Avenger forms have their own section here.
bobbysteed
Nutshell

From Bobby Steed

Post by bobbysteed »

I think we could not only bring it back, but make it in to a Feature Film as well, a sensational one! The Avenger's could take place in our present time. It could be marketed to people who are not familair with The Series and to younge people. Look at James Bond for example, it is timeless and people still flock to The Movies to see the latest Bond Film. I would even venture to say, have Steed driving his vintage Rolls down Regent's Park Road going to pick up his partner be it Emma or Tara. :D
I am a Big Fan of The Avengers.
bobbysteed
Nutshell

Post by bobbysteed »

Why not make a New Avengers Series on DVD for Avenger Fans. That way it could be marketed directly to this cult group of fans who would probably dig it if it was good and if The Networks saw how sucessful it was in DVD sales they might consider giving it a go on The Air. It sounds a bit way out but I think it would work. If I were a Rich Man! The only thing I could do is a low, low, low budget version that would take place in New York and my poor Emma would unfortunatly have a Brooklyn Accent, yeech! You can dress her up but can't take her out as this Emma is totaly uncooth lol. Bobby :lol:
Mona
How to Succeed... at Posting!

Post by Mona »

Why not make a New Avengers Series on DVD for Avenger Fans. That way it could be marketed directly to this cult group of fans who would probably dig it if it was good and if The Networks saw how sucessful it was in DVD sales they might consider giving it a go on The Air. It sounds a bit way out but I think it would work. Bobby :lol:

But, Bobby,

As a serious cult fan of the Avengers, I'm a cult fan of Patrick Macnee as John Steed, and his partners. I'm not a cult fan of anyone mimicking his unique and superb characterization of Steed. Macnee IS Steed and I don't want to see any replacement. That's the problem we are discussing here.

I would not buy any DVD without Patrick Macnee in it. Using the radio, I hear a voice as Steed--not Macnee's smooth, gorgeous voice, but a decent male voice--and, I can use my mind to see the characters as they were originally, so that seems the best way to go overall.

Mona
Fan of John Steed
Agent, Esquire, Hunk
bobbysteed
Nutshell

Post by bobbysteed »

Mona, I would not want someone mimicing Steed either like he was a cheap imitation, but a good character that we could enjoy, just like there have been many Dr. Who's. I do understand what you mean though as I could never get used to Capt Picard as I am a classic Star Trek Fan. The actor that would play Steed would have to have similarities to him but not copy him entirely. I think The Avenger's will return one day, look at Dr. Who and BattleStar Gallactica. The Series will be done right, right down to Steed's Flat on Dutchess Mews. He will still drive his Classic Rolls and still have a Emma Peel. Will he wear his Bowler? I say yes! Will he wear other types of headwear in fashion? why not. Classic Suits? Yes. Brolly? Yes. :D
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

There have been lots of shows that showed the influence of The Avengers and I think they should stick to that. Just my opinion.

1980s - Moonlighting
1990s - Bugs
2000s - Hustle
2010s - ?
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
sivvy
White Dwarf

Post by sivvy »

I was watching Spooks last night and it struck me it could easily be adapted to a Avengers type program.
Sir Harry = Steed/Mother
Ruth = the brainy bit of Emma
Lucas = Gambit
Beth=Tara/Purdey

It's set in present day London but somehow it seems a bit unreal.
Everyone's a bit too clever.
The technology is a bit futuristic
The plots are far fetched (make them a bit more quirky)
Lose the MI5
Lighten the script
Add a bit more fantasy
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

That's why I prefer Hustle. It's like four or five talented amateurs. They are con men that don't work for good necessarily but against greed.

Many of the scenes are filmed in a fantasy sequence - black and white, speeded up, slowed down. There are lots of occasions where the characters break the 4th wall and talk or wink to the viewer. It all ends well with a positive feelgood factor.

It has a great opening and memorable theme tune - or it did until they fiddled about with it - and there are recognisable older-Steed/Mother (Robert Vaughn), younger-Steed (Adrian Lester), Gambit (Marc Warren) and Emma/Purdey (Jaime Warren) types.

It's still in production, although it jumped the shark two seasons ago (in my opinion), and is currently filming it 7th series.

Check it out on YouTube for clips.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
mousemeat
They Keep Posting about Steed

Re: From Bobby Steed

Post by mousemeat »

bobbysteed wrote:I think we could not only bring it back, but make it in to a Feature Film as well, a sensational one! The Avenger's could take place in our present time. It could be marketed to people who are not familair with The Series and to younge people. Look at James Bond for example, it is timeless and people still flock to The Movies to see the latest Bond Film. I would even venture to say, have Steed driving his vintage Rolls down Regent's Park Road going to pick up his partner be it Emma or Tara. :D
I dunno..you can't improve on something that was great,and clearly an product of it's time..as for Bond, that's a whole different thing..
sivvy
White Dwarf

Re: From Bobby Steed

Post by sivvy »

mousemeat wrote:
bobbysteed wrote:I think we could not only bring it back, but make it in to a Feature Film as well, a sensational one! The Avenger's could take place in our present time. It could be marketed to people who are not familair with The Series and to younge people. Look at James Bond for example, it is timeless and people still flock to The Movies to see the latest Bond Film. I would even venture to say, have Steed driving his vintage Rolls down Regent's Park Road going to pick up his partner be it Emma or Tara. :D
I dunno..you can't improve on something that was great,and clearly an product of it's time..as for Bond, that's a whole different thing..
The thing is, it doesn't have to be better than the original. It would be great to have more adventures in Avengerland. Provided it was well done and didn't insult my intellegence too much but there's not much point in simply remaking the original. It needs to be different - The New New Avengers perhaps.

Doing a new version with Steed & Emma would be like doing a cover version of a song that sounds exactly like the original. Pointless.
Timeless A-Peel
Posting à la Carte

Post by Timeless A-Peel »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:That's why I prefer Hustle. It's like four or five talented amateurs. They are con men that don't work for good necessarily but against greed.

Many of the scenes are filmed in a fantasy sequence - black and white, speeded up, slowed down. There are lots of occasions where the characters break the 4th wall and talk or wink to the viewer. It all ends well with a positive feelgood factor.

It has a great opening and memorable theme tune - or it did until they fiddled about with it - and there are recognisable older-Steed/Mother (Robert Vaughn), younger-Steed (Adrian Lester), Gambit (Marc Warren) and Emma/Purdey (Jaime Warren) types.

It's still in production, although it jumped the shark two seasons ago (in my opinion), and is currently filming it 7th series.

Check it out on YouTube for clips.
I see a lot of the Avengers in Hustle as well, at least in the days before they started to play musical cast members. The Mickey/Danny/Stacie dynamic always reminded me of Steed/Gambit/Purdey as well.

But the Avengers is sort of a victim of its own success and influence, to the point that much of what made it original has been done and redone so many times over the years that it wouldn't be novel now. Going forward feels as though there's so little to connect it to the original as to make it pointless to call it the Avengers. Going back to basics and recasting the main roles seems to go against the show's creed of moving forward. It makes it a hard show to bring back.
Last Watched: Who Was That Man I Saw You With?

Anew: A TNA Site. Updated 4/30/14