The Avengers DVD Set 5 (Series 6) from Optimum

Discussion of and information about The Avengers on any format: Blu-ray, DVD, Video-On-Demand, tapes, film and all others.

darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

I ordered it yesterday from morning from Moviemail as I forgot the boxset was this early and it came today. they're very good.
Dandy Forsdyke
A Surfeit of Posting

Post by Dandy Forsdyke »

Darren wrote:Here's the next sample

I recorded the previous sample with my computers 7.1 audio but this one is done with the stereo setting.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7qbr2qs9zjov8hi

Incidentally The Forget Me Knot appears to have the series 5 thing - Linda Thorson especially sounds very girly.
That's the same as the previous sample, Darren. I agree about the tinny sound to Patrick's voice - almost echo-y.
THE AVENGERS GALLERY
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Dandy Forsdyke wrote:
Darren wrote:Here's the next sample

I recorded the previous sample with my computers 7.1 audio but this one is done with the stereo setting.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7qbr2qs9zjov8hi

Incidentally The Forget Me Knot appears to have the series 5 thing - Linda Thorson especially sounds very girly.
That's the same as the previous sample, Darren. I agree about the tinny sound to Patrick's voice - almost echo-y.
Yeah you're quite right, here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?g6h9r8r3u448dub

I've popped into all the episodes up to All Done With Mirrors - my novice opinion - I believe that they are all as per the usual way we've heard them in the UK.

It's only The Forget Me Knot where the pitch was up (probably done with the series 5 ones). Here's a link to a folder with first the recorded audio then down 4% then down to 8% = http://www.mediafire.com/?35nwcwy9bi96w

That aside - IT IS A SUPERB SET - can't wait to properly go through the episodes. :D
torishu
White Dwarf

Post by torishu »

I can second Darren's assessment (comparing his samples to the A&E releases). As I noted on Roobarb's, his opinion, based on his "Invasion of the Earthmen" and "The Forget-Me-Knot" samples is 100% correct.

"The Forget-Me-Knot" is affected by the same issue as Series 5 was. Darren's shown good ears and I believe he's correct with the rest as well (I don't have the set and obviously he can't upload samples of them ALL!).
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

Just enjoyed listening to Jaz's commentary on Game with director Robert Fuest. I'm so thrilled that Fuest singles out Peter Hammond as the biggest influence on his decision to direct, you can certainly see it in his work - and that he phoned him a few years back to say thank you "What do you want?" LOL charming. It wasn't a surprise for him to say The Rotters wasn't one of his favourite scripts. Fuest shared some really interesting things like the studio lighting - I'm fascinated by those technical details.
paulpdjh
Winged Avenger

Post by paulpdjh »

Darren wrote:Just enjoyed listening to Jaz's commentary on Game with director Robert Fuest. I'm so thrilled that Fuest singles out Peter Hammond as the biggest influence on his decision to direct, you can certainly see it in his work - and that he phoned him a few years back to say thank you "What do you want?" LOL charming. It wasn't a surprise for him to say The Rotters wasn't one of his favourite scripts. Fuest shared some really interesting things like the studio lighting - I'm fascinated by those technical details.
You're so lucky having this boxset in time for the weekend. It looks as though it's going to be very cold outside - the perfect excuse for staying at home and watching lots of Avengers - but I pre-ordered the boxset from Amazon and it hastn't even been despatched yet. :(
Paul
pauljwyatt
Thingumajig

Post by pauljwyatt »

Just been watching this myself. The audio sounds great and is the same as my contender discs - but ofcourse much clearer.

I work with audio and compression quite a bit and i did notice on "The forget me knot" that the audio is quite compressed. The final scene between Emma and Steed is a case in point. It appears that any ambient sound has been removed. There are actual sections of "dead air" between lines of dialogue which make them appear a bit unnatural. OR perhaps we've been so used to hearing hiss on these tracks! :D

The theme tune at the end of this show is decidedly "up tempo"
Designer, writer & Filmmaker

http://www.paulwyatt.co.uk
pauljwyatt
Thingumajig

Post by pauljwyatt »

I do love seeing more of the picture in these releases.

I never realised that Linda is stood in front of the door in the final frame of the suits of armour titles which has the "produced by" credit over it. Also due to the added clarity there are a few tell tale signs that they slowed the film down slightly on this shot.
Designer, writer & Filmmaker

http://www.paulwyatt.co.uk
Shanet
Nutshell

Post by Shanet »

Very happy to have found this forum. My new oasis on the web!
I've been watching the introduction by Cyril Frankel.
I have to say it's shocking that they might have used his name on " Whoever shot poor George.." even though he didn't direct it! Was this common practice I wonder?

Loving the retro titles! Well done canal plus!
**In a world full of caterpillars it takes guts to be a butterfly**
darren
Diabolical Mastermind

Post by darren »

pauljwyatt wrote:I do love seeing more of the picture in these releases.

I never realised that Linda is stood in front of the door in the final frame of the suits of armour titles which has the "produced by" credit over it. Also due to the added clarity there are a few tell tale signs that they slowed the film down slightly on this shot.
Yeah I spotted that when watching Fog yesterday.

I do love the picture galleries - seeing things like Steed's apartment being right next to the set for Tara's. The cameras were massive - it's funny seeing a photo of a scene I'm so familiar with and seeing six guys pulling this massive beast of a camera rig in order to get it.